X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!...Headlights Always ON....

1999 Grand Marquis....

Just installed new battery.

After installation, headlight are always on when ignition is on. Cannot turn off via switch. Also, the interior lights do not come on when door opened.

Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Galaxieman

check the harness to the LCM (Lighting Control Module). should be a very vented black box under the dash, driver side, right of the steering column. as well as checking for blown fuses. If you don;t have the manual for your car...
    http://www.motorcraftservice.com/
    (select a country)
    click on Owner Information in the left menu
    enter your car info
    download the latest revision of the owners manual. (PDF)

I'm betting the LCM died, but that's not always the case.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sly,

Thanks for the suggestions...

I have checked the relevant fuses....all good.

I have owner and service manuals.

Have located the LCM...now what to do?

Thanks...

Comment

If the harnesses are all still attached good, you probably need to replace the LCM. Find the test procedure for the LCM in your service manual and diagnose the issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

If it is the LCM you can either replace the offending internal relay (there are posts and videos all over the place for this) or you can probably find a JY or replacement on EBAY.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

New ones are expensive and the issue with a used one is you can never know how much life is left on it.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I would modify the LCM to use a heavier duty external relay. It seems that the stock internal relays are not very strong.

Short term, try whacking the side of the LCM to see if the lights shut off. If they do, that pretty much confirms that the trouble is a welded relay contact. You'll still have to fix it, but at least you'll know then. If no joy there, pop it open and look for damage. Damaged relays are usually fairly obvious. Look for the part that is charred and burned and you've got it.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the problem is that this one seems to have failed "safe" as the headlights are on. If the relay was welded shut, I would figure the headlights to be on at all times. This makes me think the control chips are the issue, or the autolamp relay/sensor. Since the interior lights won't come on, it could be any of that or all of it.

Comment

Sly,

Yes, it is strange that the headlights ONLY light up when ignition is turned on. If ignition is OFF the headlight switch does nothing! I cannot envision a relay failure (welded or open) that would only power the lights when the ignition is on. Which begs the question: What has the ignition being ON have to do with headlights anyway?

Comment

exactly. The headlight switch not working at all makes it suspect, but since EVERYTHING the LCM controls is acting up, I would blame it. I'd get one from a yard for diagnostics along with a headlight switch.

Comment

One more thing that is really bugging me...why would this happen just as I changed the battery (with keys in pocket!)? When the old battery failed the solenoid just clicked a couple of times (lights were off). I did nothing other than remove and replace the battery with a new one....

Comment

It's not a Canadian car is it?
                        I'm not sure how the DRL setup (required on Canadian vehicles) might affect things but it could be something to consider as part of the troubleshooting if it is a Canadian car.
                        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

VicCrownVic,

Not Canadian car...does not have DRL. But, I believe it was assembled in Canada!

Comment

Ok, figured I would throw that out there just in case. I think all MGM and CVs have been assembled in Canada since the mid-late 80's. I think some of the early 80's cars might have been built at a plant in the US (for some reason St. Louis comes to mind but I'm not sure).

As you seem to be aware of, by Canadian car I did mean what market the car was sold in. I'm not sure if DRL was an option on US market cars but it is good to know that yours does not have the option.

Anyway, I will not likely be useful for troubleshooting this one since it's newer than what I'm used to working with. Carry on.
                            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Sometimes a low voltage condition can cause over current conditions if the circuits are not designed right or already damaged/weak that ends in failure.

Comment

Working...
                              X