Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Brake Stuff

Hi all

Due to a family situation my free time has reduced to some unknown negative figure. I've asked questions about this and I've read a lot and I thought I had it all together, but my brain is totally preoccupied and I feel lost again.

My control arm bushings are trashed to the extent that I have dynamically changing wheel alignment and I have an upcoming 1 week family trip (in May, but I still feel crunched for time) out of town in the same car. I really don't want to rip it all apart to do the control arm bushings if I'm just going to have to do the same this summer when I do big brakes. Therefore, the big brake swap is expedited so that I don't a) waste parts and b) re-do too much.

I also just bought my first house, so budget is a factor. Yay!

Sooo...I need someone who is well versed in big brake jobs and general front end stuff to check over what I have and tell me what I need. Easter weekend is my target for getting this done.

Parts that I have. Please forgive model years, everything is "at least" 98-02 but I'm sure I'm going to cause confusion for future people because some of these items are all the way from 95-02...
    • 98-02 LCAs (new complete - ball joints, bushings installed)
    • 98-02 spindles (junkyard. missing the upper ball joint retaining bolts)
    • 98-02 hub/bearing assemblies (new)
    • 98-02 caliper brackets (rusty junkyard stuff but it'll do)
    • Spindle nuts (new, also have the junkyard ones if for whatever reason I bought the wrong new ones)
    • 98-02 upper ball joints (new)
    • 98-02 brake hoses (new, both sides)
    • Earlier year (95-97?) UCAs with cross shafts and eccentrics/nuts
    • Brake fluid
    • 16" wheels with tires

Parts that are "on the way" (ordered but not here yet)
    • 98-02 Front brake pads. As best I can tell, there is only one mounting type for 98-02 cars. If this is not true I need to know ASAP.
    • 98-02 front rotors
    • hardware kit - rubber boot things and clips

Calipers will be purchased locally. Directly relevant to pads; same question about pad mounting applies.

Stuff that I don't have that I know I will need, which I'm not sure how/where to buy:
    • The retaining bolts for the upper ball joints in the spindles. Can anyone offer up specs on appropriate bolts or should I take a spindle in to someplace that sells bolts?
    • Brake line adapters as I am not currently re-doing my brake lines (if I can at all avoid it).
      How does this work exactly? Hard line to adapter to flex line? Or does there have to be another hard line between the adapter and flex line?

Is there anything I need that is not listed above please let me know.

Also, tech questions:
    • Socket size required for the lower control arm bolts through the frame?
    • Will the front springs come out without drama by lowering the control arm with a jack, or is a spring compressor strictly required?

Of course I'll be taking it to get aligned when it's all done (but it needs to be "good enough" to drive on for a day or two prior, low speed short distance city stuff only).

I apologize for being a pest and probably re-asking questions that have been answered many times...I'm just really all over the place right now and the thought of doing this job is kind of killing me (it's something I've really looked forward to, but other conditions are taking away the enjoyment right now)

Thank you
    Last edited by kishy; 03-25-2015, 09:11 PM.

Current driver: wagon
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Your list looks perfect, I see that you did some thorough reading. Take a picture of the current position of the Upper Control Arms, before removing them. You're going to need an alignment. But it won't be horribly shitty if you copy that closely.

1.) I would get the eccentric bolts (The ones that adjust the position of the upper control arm ball joint) from a junkyard, I found a couple on the internet and I didn't see the worthwhile-ness of spending 40$ (10$ ea) on them when junkyard ones will do just fine.

2.) Mine coils did, wasn't very scary or dramatic.

3.) 7/8, you'll want a socket and wrench; it's a through bolt that will spin.

I just did this a couple weeks ago so I'm sure i can give you some recent knowledge.

First, what I did was remove both shocks, then you'll want to jack up the lower control arm and disconnect the top balljoint from the spindle. Once the spindle is free, lower the jack down *SLOWLY* (I would have your car a good 1' off the ground give or take a little) when lowering the jack down, the spring will start to want to come out but it will not, you should be able to jiggle it free with a crowbar or tug it out. This is if you do not previously have a spring compressor, as reinstalling those stock length springs would probably be a bastard without one. (Sorry, I installed speedway coils; they're shorter.)

The upper control arm will be two bolts that hold it to the frame of the car, you'll need to impact those off (Or wrench on them, though I don't even waste my time killing myself doing that.) and you'll see one nut per bolt and it will have a large sheetmetal square attached to it. Once the UCA is off, the lower control arm will be held in by two 7/8s nuts and bolts of which I would also impact off, using a wrench to hold the nut from spinning. (Personal experience. The impact and deep socket will not fit to get off the LCA bolt and nut towards the cabin of the car. You'll need a short impact socket.) Once you're done with that, you'll yank out those bolts and probably have to use a crowbar to give the LCA a little help to get out of its spot. If your bushings are real shit, you won't have to and it'll just drop out.

At this stage you should look at your newly dismembered car and take a picture to show your friends that you're a real hard hitting motherfucker and have all these mechanic skills. But you should also have the upper control arm off, the coils off to the side (If you plan on re-using them.) and the lower control arms should be off, with the spindle, rotor, caliper and soft line attached. Now you can reinstall your new LCA (Your 98-02 LCAs should be nearly the same as the stock ones other than some appearance changes, you wouldn't need 98-02 LCAs specifically. Stock will work.) put your bolts in. You'll want to use 92-94 UCAs? (Don't quote me) as 95' was the cross over year and you'll either find the ones with the shaft through the middle or no shaft.
    Alternatively you can buy the later control arms (95-02) and burn out the bushings and remove the metal casings and place your original cross shaft in them, as you'd need to do the same to your original. But. It's a real bastard and a waste of time.
    Anyways, with the UCA on, you can use your spring compressor (Or risk your life with the coil and the jack, you can get away with it pretty easy with the speedway coils.) and place your coil in the housing, raising the jack up under the LCA to equate for the short length of the spring and attach the spindle onto the lower control arm ball joint shaft. Then you can attach it to the UCA ball joint shaft (Make sure they're strongman tight. Make sure that the spindle is all the way up to the ball joint boots.) and release your spring, lowering the jack down as well. Now install your hub, rotor, caliper bracket and caliper. With the new lines and make sure to grease all your ball joints.

I'm no expert, just typing the way I did it and it wasn't very hard at all.

I assume you're doing this to your 83' Coupe. (Of which you should ditch that wheezy two barrel and intake and goto something with a little more oomph such as a four barrel intake and carb. But don't listen to me since I'd also say to ditch that non-roller, wheezy LOPO, too.) Glad to see more people starting to care about brakes rather than go-go speed.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Your list looks perfect, I see that you did some thorough reading. Take a picture of the current position of the Upper Control Arms, before removing them. You're going to need an alignment. But it won't be horribly shitty if you copy that closely.

1.) I would get the eccentric bolts (The ones that adjust the position of the upper control arm ball joint) from a junkyard, I found a couple on the internet and I didn't see the worthwhile-ness of spending 40$ (10$ ea) on them when junkyard ones will do just fine.

2.) I assume you're asking if your 98-02 soft lines will attach to your stock hard lines? They do. Off the top of my head, the stock hard lines are 1/4.

3.) 7/8, you'll want a socket and wrench; it's a through bolt that will spin.

4.) Mine coils did, wasn't very scary or dramatic.

I just did this a couple weeks ago so I'm sure i can give you some recent knowledge.

First, what I did was remove both shocks, then you'll want to jack up the lower control arm and disconnect the top balljoint from the spindle. Once the spindle is free, lower the jack down *SLOWLY* (I would have your car a good 1' off the ground give or take a little) when lowering the jack down, the spring will start to want to come out but it will not, you should be able to jiggle it free with a crowbar or tug it out. This is if you do not previously have a spring compressor, as reinstalling those stock length springs would probably be a bastard without one. (Sorry, I installed speedway coils; they're shorter.)

The upper control arm will be two bolts that hold it to the frame of the car, you'll need to impact those off (Or wrench on them, though I don't even waste my time killing myself doing that.) and you'll see one nut per bolt and it will have a large sheetmetal square attached to it. Once the UCA is off, the lower control arm will be held in by two 7/8s nuts and bolts of which I would also impact off, using a wrench to hold the nut from spinning. (Personal experience. The impact and deep socket will not fit to get off the LCA bolt and nut towards the cabin of the car. You'll need a short impact socket.) Once you're done with that, you'll yank out those bolts and probably have to use a crowbar to give the LCA a little help to get out of its spot. If your bushings are real shit, you won't have to and it'll just drop out.

At this stage you should look at your newly dismembered car and take a picture to show your friends that you're a real hard hitting motherfucker and have all these mechanic skills. But you should also have the upper control arm off, the coils off to the side (If you plan on re-using them.) and the lower control arms should be off, with the spindle, rotor, caliper and soft line attached. Now you can reinstall your new LCA (Your 98-02 LCAs should be nearly the same as the stock ones other than some appearance changes, you wouldn't need 98-02 LCAs specifically. Stock will work.) put your bolts in. You'll want to use 92-94 UCAs? (Don't quote me) as 95' was the cross over year and you'll either find the ones with the shaft through the middle or no shaft.
      Alternatively you can buy the later control arms (95-02) and burn out the bushings and remove the metal casings and place your original cross shaft in them, as you'd need to do the same to your original. But. It's a real bastard and a waste of time.
      Anyways, with the UCA on, you can use your spring compressor (Or risk your life with the coil and the jack, you can get away with it pretty easy with the speedway coils.) and place your coil in the housing, raising the jack up under the LCA to equate for the short length of the spring and attach the spindle onto the lower control arm ball joint shaft. Then you can attach it to the UCA ball joint shaft (Make sure they're strongman tight. Make sure that the spindle is all the way up to the ball joint boots.) and release your spring, lowering the jack down as well. Now install your hub, rotor, caliper bracket and caliper. With the new lines and make sure to grease all your ball joints.

I'm no expert, just typing the way I did it and it wasn't very hard at all.

I assume you're doing this to your 83' Coupe. (Of which you should ditch that wheezy two barrel and intake and goto something with a little more oomph such as a four barrel intake and carb. But don't listen to me since I'd also say to ditch that non-roller, wheezy LOPO, too.) Glad to see more people starting to care about brakes rather than go-go speed.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Thanks a bunch, lots of good stuff there!

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post

I actually have the eccentrics and their associated nuts, it's the mounting bolt that pinches the ball joint into the spindle that I'm missing. I removed my junkyard parts myself from 3 donor vehicles which is why I'm foggy on years. The bolt that accomplishes the "pinching" action is what's missing, and I had a feeling I'd regret that...easy enough to go find more if that's what I have to do of course.

2.) I assume you're asking if your 98-02 soft lines will attach to your stock hard lines? They do. Off the top of my head, the stock hard lines are 1/4.
        Oh, awesome, I was under the impression both the flare and thread were different. Don't recall where I got that impression though...

4.) Mine coils did, wasn't very scary or dramatic.
        ...stock length springs would probably be a bastard ... speedway coils
        I actually have a set of the speedway lowering springs (the 925s off the top of my head). Not sure if they're even necessary given how saggy the stock ones are, it very well may have lowered itself over time...but if I have troubles shoving the stock springs back in then I'll know the speedway ones should pop in no problem.

The upper control arm will be two bolts that hold it to the frame of the car ...
        I am at least somewhat familiar with the disassembly, from taking apart the junkyard cars. Breaker bar got stuff started in those cases...and used my cordless impact (which is admittedly better for spinning nuts than it is for impacting them) to spin them off. I'm hoping my car will cooperate similarly. Very little rust due to effective undercoating but on the flip side anything threaded is a gooey mess.

You'll want to use 92-94 UCAs? (Don't quote me) as 95' was the cross over year and you'll either find the ones with the shaft through the middle or no shaft.
        I'm temporarily braindead, the UCAs you are describing are the ones I have (the last design to have the cross shaft in them). I do have the bushings to press into those arms, forgot to list them.

My goals all along were to do the '83 first, but the '91 is the daily...and therefore it fell apart first. I remember very clearly nailing a nasty patch of potholes and mysteriously my ride height dropped slightly (via camber becoming more negative, seemingly) on that side afterwards. Inspection reveals the bushings more or less don't exist anymore...oops. But, mechanically, should be identical between the two cars so once one is done the other should be super easy. I can't justify doing 95% of the work to replace the bushings when the extra 5% would get me a whole new front end, so that's where I am.
        Last edited by kishy; 03-25-2015, 11:04 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Do you have the bolts for the caliper brackets? Did the new upper ball joints come with bolts? If you need to source them I know you would need hardened but I don't know what spec.

Can;t remember if the new hoses are metric or sae but if they are metric, the fitting adapters go between the existing line fittings and the hoses. When you install the hoses make sure you have full movement. up/down/right/left without stressing the hose.
          Last edited by jaywish; 03-25-2015, 11:14 PM.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I thought there was a combo that still allowed the use of 15" wheels. Maybe I'm imagining things.
            1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

95-97 brakes are bigger than prior years and still allow 15 inch wheels, but are still single piston calipers.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

and they, 92-97. use a different design but same size rotor along with the old calipers so they are not bigger brakes.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                  Do you have the bolts for the caliper brackets? Did the new upper ball joints come with bolts? If you need to source them I know you would need hardened but I don't know what spec.

Can;t remember if the new hoses are metric or sae but if they are metric, the fitting adapters go between the existing line fittings and the hoses. When you install the hoses make sure you have full movement. up/down/right/left without stressing the hose.
                  The upper ball joints do have bolts in the bags inside the box...am I just being stupid and didn't realize that's the bolt I'm missing? Looks like it may be approximately the right size.

If it is indeed as Bobcat said about the brake lines I'll be quite happy. I'll test next time I'm at a junkyard. *

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  95-97 brakes are bigger than prior years and still allow 15 inch wheels, but are still single piston calipers.
                  I was looking at a 95-97 swap to allow continued use of turbines but realized parts are cheaper for the 98-02 swap. I may eventually "downgrade" to the 95-97 if I end up getting my turbines refinished, but they're the only 15" wheels I would make that effort for.

Seems it's as simple as a caliper/bracket/rotor swap and brake bleed, since the spindle is compatible with either...

*: speaking of junkyards, if there are any more bits I should be trying to collect please advise. I'm thinking of grabbing various extra hardware (bolts and whatnot, as spares or fallback plans) from a yard this weekend.
                  Will probably also take care of putting new bushings into the "new" upper control arms at a buddy's place, a press is one tool I don't have yet.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

You need to change the ends of the brake lines to metric. Or get standard to metric adapters. The size of the line is the same. You just have to flare for metric bubble...

Comment

I don't know that the 98-02 hubs would work with the 92-97 setup. Once you have the big brakes in and right you would most likely not want to go back. I have not toasted a rotor since the upgrade. I went through several with the original setup and the 92-97 setup I ran for a while before going to the 98-02 set.
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by blkpnthr View Post
                        The upper ball joints do have bolts in the bags inside the box...am I just being stupid and didn't realize that's the bolt I'm missing? Looks like it may be approximately the right size.
                        That bolt, if it's only one per ball joint is indeed the one needed for retaining the ball joint to the steering knuckle. It's really nothing special, just a metric bolt of (hopefully) class 9.8 or higher strength - 10.9 (approximately equivalent to SAE grade-8) being better and 12.9 being best. Realistically you can replace it with whatever standard (SAE) thread bolt fits the hole best, just make sure it's fine-threaded and grade-8 and torque it to the specs suggested by the tables readily available online (here's one: http://www.derose.net/steve/resource...les/bolts.html).

Regarding the SAE-to-metric brake line adapters, you need ones with 3/8-24 female to 10mm male ends. These numbers refer to the threads on both ends, not the brake line size (which on these Fords is always 3/16" line). IIRC it's the same size on both sides of the car, but at the same rate Ford is known to do stupid stuff like using 3/8-24 on one side and 7/16-20 on the other, so keep that in mind. You can throw a measuring calipers on the current line nuts right against the current brake hoses, and that will tell you what thread they have - you may very well end up needing a 7/16-20 to 11mm adapter for one side of the car... Sorry I can't be more specific, but this is junk I deal with on the fly as it comes up, so I just don't remember it all too well Then when you have what you need you screw them tight into to brake hoses first, then you hook up the brake lines to them - if you do it the other way around the adapters will "latch" onto the brake lines hard and you won't be able to turn them to tighten them into the brake hoses. It's pretty self-explanatory once you get to actually messing with it, you'll get it no problem.
                        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Guess I was wrong with the brake lines, that's the one thing I haven't accomplished.

And yes, I forgot. The new bolt comes with the ball joints. But. You don't get a bolt for the sway bar end links.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

OK, might have made an oopsie. Way-back-when, I purchased hub/bearing assemblies for a 1997 (again at the time I was looking at doing a 95-97 swap), but when I went to the junkyard a 98-02 was already disassembled by someone else who apparently wanted the springs so I took the spindles off of that.

Comparing specs is seemingly difficult because Moog's catalog specs are inconsistent between the part number for a "92-97" (513104) and a "97-02" (513202) (if you look them up you'll see what I mean)

Does anyone know from experience if these parts cross? I'll be test fitting the hub/bearings on the spindles tonight, I guess as long as there's no wiggle on the spindle shaft it technically fits...

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

The early hubs will mount on the spindles but give you wheel fitment problems. You would need wheel spacers.

You need the later part number hubs. Probably a mid year change in 97.
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                              X