No announcement yet.

Off idle stumble when cold..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you look into the end of the thing opposite where the vacuum tit is, you can see a rod through the holes. Its not real easy to see, but its in there. You should be able to see that move. Failing all else, just unbolt the blasted thing and watch the valve operate. You'll see a pointy end sticking out of the valve, and it should retract when you apply vacuum. If its crapped up, chances are high that its either where the pointy bit sticks into the side of the EGR spacer, or in the passage from the open hole to the back side of the pointy bit. The gasket in that spot is not really re-usable but it should be easy enough to get one.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Word. I've got a spare EGR valve hanging on the wall from a yard pull, I'll test that too to see if it's any good as well. Would be great if this takes care of that issue.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Did you ever change the IAT sensor on the intake? My original IAC sensor that I'd put back on the car was still acting up a bit, so a couple weeks ago I started dicking around with the car again. Ended up pulled the motor off my new IAC and putting it on the old one. Also replaced the IAT sensor at the same time and my car now starts up, idles high for a minute, then gradually drops down into a smooth, normal idle. Only does this after being parked more than about 4 hours. Otherwise just normal idle speed. Wish I'd done those things in stages so I knew exactly which one fixed it, but then I'd have had to wait for like 4 hrs to do it again. Screw it, all done now.

Comment

IAT sensors are for you goofy people with MAF

I did put a new FoMoCo IAC on it and noticed no change whatsoever. Old one looks mint so I'm keeping that as it has the Motorcraft insignia stamped right on the body, unlike the new one.

Comment

MAP folks have that bastard ACT sensor on cylinder 5 of the lower intake manifold.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah, we have one too. CFI cars even had one there.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Say whaaaa?

'Bastard ACT sensor,' so I take it it's not going to come out without a fight? lol. Anybody have a part number? Suppose I could look it up in the books we have but when I looked into light bulb types it gave me goofy 7 digit numbers or something, had to whip out the owners manual.

Comment

they usually come out okay... it's just getting to them can sometimes be interesting as they are a little buried by wires and fuel rail.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah so it's in the same spot as my IAT sensor, and it was a bastard to get out. My recommendation would be to get a set of shower valve sockets from a hardware store. Of course I had no plumbing tools with me the day I did it. Pardon my forgetfulness that normal people have speed density, I sometimes forget that everything I own is weird...

Comment

Oh, ok. Looks to be in the same location for exploader manifolds.
                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1995-Fo...b954be&vxp=mtr
                      It does look like a bastard.. Hopefully I'll find a decent 'sploader manifold this weekend at the yards. I'll clean it up and install new sensors & injectors everywhere.

Comment

Looking through exploader intakes it seems some have the IAT sensor, and some don't:
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-0-302-EXPL...d0dbaf&vxp=mtr

Also, what's the deal with the EGR set up? Seems the ones that have 9 holes in the lower manifold don't match up with the upper:
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Explore...f279b3&vxp=mtr

Comment

Working...
                        X