Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off idle stumble when cold..

Hey everyone, welcome to Wednesday!

This isn't a real big deal but it's something I wonder if anyone else has experienced & maybe even fixed. With my 88 TC the engine tends to stumble just a smidge when going from the brake to the go pedal. It will also do then when getting back into the throttle from coasting. This all goes away once the thing is warmed up. Ashley's 1990 F150 does the same exact thing, only thats a 5 speed & has the big six in it. Any ideas as to why it's doing that? Again, not a huge deal as I've learned to feather the throttle until it warms up but would be nice to make it go away.

Thanks for reading any any comments!

Cheers,

Derek
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

C'mon... Surely this issue can't have all you guys stumped.. Is this just normal then?

Comment

I would start be cleaning the throttle body with TB cleaner.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Has some of the symptoms of a faulty TFI but not all of them. Something to look at, at least. Could try cleaning/replacing the ICM and TB (cleaning only). Not sure if that will fix things but couldn't hurt.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

my 88 has the opposite issue... slight stumble when at operating temp... but I generally just dump the go pedal further and it goes. Never diagnosed it since it's overcome with more go.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
            I would start be cleaning the throttle body with TB cleaner.
            Any special cleaner I should use? Not sure if I should care about that supposed special coating on it or not. Just spray the whole thing or will certain problem areas look dirty?

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
            Has some of the symptoms of a faulty TFI but not all of them. Something to look at, at least. Could try cleaning/replacing the ICM and TB (cleaning only). Not sure if that will fix things but couldn't hurt.
            That distributor will only come out to replace a dead TFI lol. What's an ICM and where is it? Those sound like things to look into.

Originally posted by sly View Post
            my 88 has the opposite issue... slight stumble when at operating temp... but I generally just dump the go pedal further and it goes. Never diagnosed it since it's overcome with more go.
            Yeah this problem isn't a big deal either but when I forget it's there then it's annoying. Once I get it out of the bump shop I'll have a look see at that throttle body and what not.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
              Any special cleaner I should use? Not sure if I should care about that supposed special coating on it or not. Just spray the whole thing or will certain problem areas look dirty?

That distributor will only come out to replace a dead TFI lol. What's an ICM and where is it? Those sound like things to look into.

Yeah this problem isn't a big deal either but when I forget it's there then it's annoying. Once I get it out of the bump shop I'll have a look see at that throttle body and what not.
              Not sure if your TB has a special coating or not. To be safe they do make a TB cleaner for it and I would clean it well. The ICM is the Idle Control Motor. I would remove (if you wish) and clean the areas, in the TB, that it sits on (the ports). Up to you if you can afford a new ICM - I'd stick with a Ford one if you do. By the way, it is the cylinder looking "thing" that bolts (2 bolts) to the TB with an electrical connector attached.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

ICM? I thought that was the Ignition Control Module; Synonymous with the TFI module on these cars.
                The Idle Control Motor I assume is what I have heard/seen referred to as the Idle Air Controller. Just want to make sure I'm talking about the same thing.

If that is the case then I would agree that starting by cleaning the TB and ICM/IAC would be a good starting point. While you're there you might as well clean the ports for the EGR as well. ICM/IAC is on the back of the TB and the EGR is on the front.

When was the air filter last changed?
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

ICM=TFI, Ah. Well I'm not messing with that unless the car won't start or begins to quit while running haha.

I think the IAC on this thing is good as it's pretty smooth when transitioning the idle and what not although it was goofy when I first got the plugs changed. Guess you just buy a new one, right? Only time I've ever had luck with cleaning them is when they cause major issues, like really high idle or they're not smooth.

EGR sounds like a good thing to check out as well.

Air filter was changed back in September I think.

Thanks for all of the replies, when I get the car back I'll look forward to troubleshooting the thing. Right now I'm in need of a minty driver's side mirror, so if anyone has one...

Comment

a dead spot on the TPS might do this too, or maybe not.

Something else that will do this, especially when warm, is a wonky EGR regulator. Quick test is to simply unhook the vacuum line to the valve to see if it changes. If no change, thats not your problem. I fought with mine for years before I found that issue and figured out how its supposed to work. In theory the regulator is supposed to vary egr vacuum from 0 to 8 inches. Mine was either 0 or 8, nothing between. I had to rig up a vacuum gauge and a voltmeter to see what it was doing vs what it should have been doing. A snort of WD40 got it going until I replaced the EVR.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmm..

I don't think Ashley's TC does the stumble while cold thing so perhaps I'll try her TPS and then disconnect that green vacuum line if that doesn't work. I should plug the thing once unplugged, right?

Would a dirty throttle body really cause the thing to stumble when cold? Seems funny that it runs perfect when hot but when cold has that little stumble. Back when I was adjusting the TV cable on it I had the air cleaner assembly out and inside the throttle body looked clean from what I could see, really clean. Then again, last time you guys pointed out that the timing was off on Ash's TC due to the distributor jumping a tooth and you were spot on... Her truck does the same thing too, only it has a tach so you can see the RPM's drop by a couple hunderd or so and then the thing picks right up. Anyway, wish I had the car because my fingers are starting to itch lol

Comment

yes, plug the hose.

wonky temperature sensors might cause it to run funny when cold. There is a coolant and an air sensor that could be dirty or just lying. There was a site that had resistance to temperature charts for the sensors so you could test them, but its gone.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's mirrored on my site... ie: it's not the fastest host as it's my residential line... but it's there... http://sly1.asuscomm.com/ofi/
                          Mirrored on GMN too: http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/

ECT: http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page28.html
                          ACT: http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page29.html

EDIT: making the links where my server doesn't have to be up since things are mirrored on this site now.
                          Last edited by sly; 11-25-2021, 03:46 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

if you'd like, I can mirror that as well. I have web hosting that I use basically only for email. I can set you up with an FTP account or something to upload it.

Comment

sure... I've made it a very portable version of itself. It should work in any directory it's dropped in. (I really like portable websites and build mine that way since my domain changes from time to time)

Link to the zip: http://sly1.asuscomm.com/ofi/oldfuelinjection.zip

the more mirrors that pop up... the better.. IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X