Duralube, anyone use it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duralube, anyone use it???

Did anyone use duralube with their tranny oil? (Even Mercon V)

A buddy of mine told me about it. He has a 97 MGM and said to dump it in with the tranny fluid
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Don't need it if you are using Mercon V. I have used it with Mercon/Dextron but have no scientific proof to back up any claims.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Most of that stuff is just a shot of the friction modifiers and such that come in fluid. Its used to renew dead fluid or fake it into acting like Mercon V, but really if the friction modifiers are used up or you're just using the wrong fluid, the fix in both cases is to change it to new correct blood.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

my girlfriend seems to enjoy it
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
          my girlfriend seems to enjoy it
          I thought, for that, you would want MORE friction rather than less? Must be doing it wrong all these years.....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
            I thought, for that, you would want MORE friction rather than less? Must be doing it wrong all these years.....
            Haaaaaaaaaaa

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Most of that stuff is just a shot of the friction modifiers and such that come in fluid. Its used to renew dead fluid or fake it into acting like Mercon V, but really if the friction modifiers are used up or you're just using the wrong fluid, the fix in both cases is to change it to new correct blood.
              +1. Here's my experiences with DuraLube:

I bought into it many years ago after watching an infomercial that included the following demos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSm1K9JATyU

One of the claims in the infomercial was that a special compound in DuraLube actually stays bound within the micropores of the metal surface and thereby helps to reduce friction. This sounds great in theory.

IIRC, the first car I tried the engine stuff in was a four cylinder Mercery Topaz. At that time, they recommended using it only once every several oil changes or so. I didn't notice anything with it in the oil, but after changing the oil and not adding anything, my coolant temp gauge was reading lower. Instead of the needle being between the R and M, the needle was consistently down on the M, even after further oil changes. I have no idea if that was the DuraLube or what. Notably, I have not experienced this effect in any other cars that I've used the stuff in.

When I saw they had a tranny product, I thought that was a great idea and tried it. I didn't notice any obvious effect.

I've used the fuel stuff too. It seemed to make things smoother, but query whether any fuel injector cleaner would do that.

NB that I only bought the stuff on sale when it was well below the regular price.

When I looked into DuraLube recently, I learned they had once settled a big FTC case relating to lack of evidence for their claims. Somewhere along the line, I saw someone claim that DuraLube has some kind of compound (possibly with chlorine) that is actually corrosive. If this is true, I wouldn't use it in a tranny. It's one thing to use it once in the engine, but leaving it in a tranny would concern me. I might put it in if a bought a used car and just did a "suck and fill" pending a J-MOD, but I wouldn't take my chances with leaving it in.

Considering that my cars are destined to rot out eventually from Canadian winters, any life-extending properties of any additives or synthetics would probably not be worthwhile for me. I would need convincing evidence of a performance gain before wasting my money.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I'll stick with Lucas, I've never had any problems using it.
                1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

I use a bottle of injector cleaner every 3-4 years. That's the only additive any of my cars see any more.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                  X