long tube headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

long tube headers

Has anyone made long tube headers work on box Panthers? It must have been done.

I've never tried but if I recall correctly, the steering shaft is the interference point. Is that the only interference I'd run into or would I have to do some massaging of the firewall/floor? I guess it would probably depend on the header..

Summit sell stupid cheap long tubes and I'm thinking about getting a set and seeing if I can't make them work...modifying the header or steering shaft is entirely possible. With a welder, torch, grinder, and hammer, most things are possible
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...view/make/ford
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...view/make/ford

mmmm
      sigpic

Comment

One issue is finding headers that are designed to clear a AOD trans. Another is clearing the factory steering column trans shift linkage. Dont remember issues with the right hand side just remember the left side having the most issues. I tried several different body styles Mustang, fairlane, etc as well as different brand headers.
        They all had issues none seemed better than another to begin with. One I didnt try was Doug Thortly's
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Cheesesteak Jim did it with his towncar. Granted he did a 5 speed swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            Cheesesteak Jim did it with his towncar.
            He also had to cut the frame up a bit and hammer the shit out of some tubes. IIRC he said it wasn't worth it and wouldn't do it again.

DuceAnAHalf ran some midlengths, but still had to cut a inch off every primary on one side.

The ones you linked would go straight into the frame. For how much you'd have to cut them up and modify them, you'd probably be better off just buying a flange and starting from scratch.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

custom or semi-custom are probably the only real way to get this done. There are reasons that only a couple sets exist, and its purely because few have the time, patience, or money to pay for a set to be customized to fit, especially for the small gains over shorties. You really don't get into serious help from headers until you've got a fairly healthy motor. A stock HO could give a shit.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Doesn't Hearsesrock427 have a set on his '89?
                1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Nick had to cut his frame and really beat to shit some of the passenger tubes. Also we changed the clutch fork or something one time and they had to be ratchet strapped out of the way, in order to get the T5 out. He claims they're free game to me, when he pulls the motor. But they're very sick looking. Sick as in illness sick.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                  The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                  It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
                    Doesn't Hearsesrock427 have a set on his '89?
                    I do. But they needed a good deal of modification to fit- they hit the tranmission tunnel and the frame. They clear everything else though.

Link in case OP was interested: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Header-Automa
                    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

If you are looking at tri-y like you posted I would try these.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAind...terheader.html
                      sigpic
                      89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
                      13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                      "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
                        I do. But they needed a good deal of modification to fit- they hit the tranmission tunnel and the frame. They clear everything else though.

Link in case OP was interested: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Header-Automa
                        Do you have any pics of them installed and where they were modified?
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                          Do you have any pics of them installed and where they were modified?
                          No pics of them installed at the moment; never thought to take any, haha. I promise I'll get some after I take the car out of my friend's barn. Definitely don't have pics of where they were modified- had a local speed shop handle that. I just asked about the fitment issues specifics (thinking of my GMN mangs!), and they told me.
                          '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                          '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                          '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Those FPA headers look interesting. And Tri Y too!!
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

You are better off to take the car to a custom shop and have the Headers made to fit the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X