1999 P71 PCM in a 2001 MGM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1999 P71 PCM in a 2001 MGM?

As the title of the post somewhat implies, would a 1999 P71 PCM work in a 2001 MGM? I'm aware that the 2001 would have the PI intake, so I'm wondering if that would affect the use of an older PCM.

The reason behind the switch is just merely to get the car to react a bit quicker when pushed. I have a P71 PCM in my '97 and I did find it slightly more responsive for things like downshifts and getting the most out of each gear. I'm also aware that the P71 PCM in a newer car will disable the PATS, but that's not much of a concern.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Yes. Needs a tune for the speedometer to read correctly if the gears on each car are different.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

careful of the cop chip.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        Yes. Needs a tune for the speedometer to read correctly if the gears on each car are different.
        Hmm. What year did Ford change from using the transmission VSS to whatever they used on the newer cars? On my '97, it was plug and play.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        careful of the cop chip.
        Lol. The poor man's upgrade. It's not that great.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The speedo is triggered by the ECM instead of the vss 98+ iirc. This allows a quick tune setting to dial in the speedometer.

Great for shops... sucks for owners. You can always swap driven gears until it's right.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

The speedo in my 91 MGM is out of a 2000 CVPI and works great with the signal from the trans VSS.
            Sly, since your speedo was off with the 99 CVPI ECM I would have to say that 98+ seems like the correct year that the speedo would be triggered by the ECM.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

the speedo can use the VSS signal, the ECM is used to send a "converted" signal depending on the tune that is set up for the gearing. I think it's way convoluted, but it doesn't require changing the plastic driven gear on the vss if you change tire sizes or gear ratios.

Comment

Working...
              X