Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H.O. Upper stuff swap on LoPo - Does this produce noticable gains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H.O. Upper stuff swap on LoPo - Does this produce noticable gains?

Hey hey,

I was reading through Dave's Brown Blob page and noticed in the beginning he swapped out the LoPo upper intake and related stuff for HO goodies. Aside from a high idle it appeared to work although the throttle body he used looked huge... Has anyone else ever done this? Would you recommend it for those who'd like to keep their factory block?

Cheers,

Derek
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

HO upper intake, HO Throttle Body, and stock EGR spacer bored to 63 mm is a very common mod, and IMO one of the first things you should do.

Now if your taking about a full HO converted lopo, that's also a common swap. There's no difference between a HO short block and a lopo short block, other then the HO has nice forged flattop pistons and the lopos have crappy dished cast aluminum ones.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Cool, so the computer doesn't mind the changes? Dave reported better grunt around town and less effort to maintain 90mph, which is exactly what I'm looking for. This sounds like something I could do myself in an evening, very appealing. Why does the spacer need to be bored out? I don't have access to that type of equipment nor do I know anyone who could do that. If Dave chimes in he could say what TB he used and what exactly was done to the hole on the butterfly to get his idle to calm down..

I'd like to just swap a complete HO in but finding a nice looking motor around here for cheap isn't likely.. It seems with the upper swap hope for more power is not lost!

Comment

For just the intake, the computer doesn't care. Full HO conversion it would obviously need to be a HO computer.

The stock EGR spacer opening is really puny, it would be a choke point. I used a regular HO TB on two of my cars, and a Explorer TB on another (since it's what I had laying around). The Explorer one is a little bigger, IIRC it's ~65mm, HO is ~60mm, and lopo is ~50mm. Both worked fine, I never had any idle problems. You do need to swap the TB linkage with the stock box one.

HO upper, Bored EGR spacer, HO TB vs. stock lopo bits

2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Thanks for the post, it's neat being able to see LoPo & HO stuff side by side!
          That big throttle body, is that the exploader TB or regular HO one? Glad to know stock computer won't have issues and so if all I need is the EGR spacer I best get my butt over to the for sale or wanted section.

What kind of difference did you notice after the swap?

Comment

The "big" TB is just a stock HO one. The stock lopo one is laughably tiny.

The biggest difference is the throttle response. It's much nicer.
            HP wise, it may be worth 10 at the crank. My old bone stock 91 GM went from an 11.53 to a 11.39 in the 1/8th from nothing but this. (yes that car was awfully slow)

Comment

I'm running an HO upper on my '90, with an Exploder TB and bored out EGR spacer. As mentioned, it seemed to help with throttle response. I didn't have any issues with anything either. It does idle a bit high or so when first started (about 1500), probably related to the bigger air hole on the 65mm TB.

Along with duals, it's a noticeable difference over the standard intake and single exhaust.

BTW, you might need a 3/8" spacer to mount the HO intake when using the stock fuel rails. Mine only needed about an 1/8" but I don't think you can get them that short.
              1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I believe it was an explorer throttle body Scott modified for my car.

I put a plug in the hole (the plastic type you put into brick and drive a screw into) and it was the perfect piece to make the idle normal.

Thank you for reading my thread.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

We actually dyno'd my '85 (converted to SEFI/HO upperstuff) and Scott B.'s stock 89, I had a whole 10hp more at the wheels I may have done a little better if it wasn't burning so much oil
                  We both have similar dual exhaust with stock 5.0 mustang exhaust manifolds.
                  When I swapped I was coming from CFI so I noticed a lot more difference than others, of course...! I did still think it was a little peppier than my '91, which I have since also put HO upperstuff onto.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
                    I'm running an HO upper on my '90, with an Exploder TB and bored out EGR spacer. As mentioned, it seemed to help with throttle response. I didn't have any issues with anything either. It does idle a bit high or so when first started (about 1500), probably related to the bigger air hole on the 65mm TB.

Along with duals, it's a noticeable difference over the standard intake and single exhaust.

BTW, you might need a 3/8" spacer to mount the HO intake when using the stock fuel rails. Mine only needed about an 1/8" but I don't think you can get them that short.
                    You mean a spacer between the upper & lower intake? Would an HO fuel rail swap in or would that have to be modified? I've only got access to hand tools and no fabrication experience..

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    I believe it was an explorer throttle body Scott modified for my car.

I put a plug in the hole (the plastic type you put into brick and drive a screw into) and it was the perfect piece to make the idle normal.

Thank you for reading my thread.
                    No problem, your car is beautiful! If you ever want to sell it....
                    Looking at current photos it looks like you're using a different set up. Do you still have that explorer TB? Wanna sell it to me?

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                    We actually dyno'd my '85 (converted to SEFI/HO upperstuff) and Scott B.'s stock 89, I had a whole 10hp more at the wheels I may have done a little better if it wasn't burning so much oil
                    We both have similar dual exhaust with stock 5.0 mustang exhaust manifolds.
                    When I swapped I was coming from CFI so I noticed a lot more difference than others, of course...! I did still think it was a little peppier than my '91, which I have since also put HO upperstuff onto.
                    10 HP at the wheels is worth it to me! You didn't end up catching the difference in torque did you? Did the CFI cars have hotter cams than the SEFI cars? Back when I had my '85 I thought about ditching the stock manifold for an entry level Edelbrock performer 4bbl manifold with the two barrel adaptor. Wasn't sure if my linkage would go back without modification and then I sold the car. Had the TB off of that thing and man, the stock intake looked so restrictive and narrow.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                      The "big" TB is just a stock HO one. The stock lopo one is laughably tiny.

The biggest difference is the throttle response. It's much nicer.
                      HP wise, it may be worth 10 at the crank. My old bone stock 91 GM went from an 11.53 to a 11.39 in the 1/8th from nothing but this. (yes that car was awfully slow)
                      The LoPo stuff is tiny indeed, every time I look at them I'm surprised the things run at all and it's no wonder they're only rated at 150HP. I think the TB on my four banger Ranger was the same size, if not bigger haha. That's why I began to dig around, wanted to be sure I wasn't going to be made fun of for not doing a complete HO swap.

Comment

This is all great info as I get closer and closer to getting the box of my dreams. Quick question though. What is wrong with mustang/HO egr plates in relation to the crown vic ones? If I'm going to the trouble of changing the intake i'll probably just stick an aftermarket one on there and a 70mm TB. Is the a no-go because of egr compatibility problems?

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                          This is all great info as I get closer and closer to getting the box of my dreams. Quick question though. What is wrong with mustang/HO egr plates in relation to the crown vic ones? If I'm going to the trouble of changing the intake i'll probably just stick an aftermarket one on there and a 70mm TB. Is the a no-go because of egr compatibility problems?
                          The throttle cable bracket mounts to the EGR spacer, and it's completely different on Mustangs since the intake is flipped. It's not hard at all to make a bracket that will work, but most people just like having the stock one bored out since its a direct bolt on.
                          Honestly no need for a 70mm TB on a lopo. Mustang guys practically throw their stock TB's out, and Explorer ones are a dime a dozen.

There also should be no need for a spacer. The HO upper is the same as a lopo upper externally, all you need to do is swap over the lopo vacuum tree. On 90/91's you may need to grind a little slot under the intake plaque so the facotry solenoid bracket fits.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post

10 HP at the wheels is worth it to me! You didn't end up catching the difference in torque did you? Did the CFI cars have hotter cams than the SEFI cars? Back when I had my '85 I thought about ditching the stock manifold for an entry level Edelbrock performer 4bbl manifold with the two barrel adaptor. Wasn't sure if my linkage would go back without modification and then I sold the car. Had the TB off of that thing and man, the stock intake looked so restrictive and narrow.
                            I forget what Mr B. had as far as torque, but mine was about dead on 150hp and 150ft/lbs at the wheels. The CFI cam is probably the same as SEFI, but my 85 came to me with a '86 roller block in it anyway (long story).
                            You can use your stock fuel rail and all, that is all attached to the lower intake.
                            All you need is the upper intake, a stock EGR spacer bored to match, and the mustang TB with a box lever swapped onto it. I betcha someone here has a bored spacer and swapped TB ready to go that they could sell... I used to until I put them on the 91, lol.
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post

No problem, your car is beautiful! If you ever want to sell it....
                              Looking at current photos it looks like you're using a different set up. Do you still have that explorer TB? Wanna sell it to me?
                              Same set up. I just painted it some time back.

I have stuff for sale..

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Throttle-Body

The throttle body currently does not have the panther linkage on it. I am intending on painting the throttle body too. I just got back from three weeks out on the road. Just want to relax a bit before I get back into the groove of fixing thing and painting things.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X