Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H.O. Upper stuff swap on LoPo - Does this produce noticable gains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
    I forget what Mr B. had as far as torque, but mine was about dead on 150hp and 150ft/lbs at the wheels. The CFI cam is probably the same as SEFI, but my 85 came to me with a '86 roller block in it anyway (long story).
    You can use your stock fuel rail and all, that is all attached to the lower intake.
    All you need is the upper intake, a stock EGR spacer bored to match, and the mustang TB with a box lever swapped onto it. I betcha someone here has a bored spacer and swapped TB ready to go that they could sell... I used to until I put them on the 91, lol.
    I like long stories, hell, all of posts end up long winded even if I try to keep them short!
    Glad to know stock stuff works and all I need is the HO Upper intake, bored LoPo EGR spacer & stang TB or 'sploader TB. Dave's got a TB but not everything else so if you know someone who does...

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Same set up. I just painted it some time back.

I have stuff for sale..

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Throttle-Body

The throttle body currently does not have the panther linkage on it. I am intending on painting the throttle body too. I just got back from three weeks out on the road. Just want to relax a bit before I get back into the groove of fixing thing and painting things.
    PM sent
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Here's why I had to use a spacer.

LoPo upper on the left, HO upper on the right. Notice the EGR passage comes down quite a bit further on the HO one. The LoPo one sits pretty much flush.

Maybe my fuel rails stick up just a bit further than others. It only needed about an 1/8" to sit proper on the lower.

I don't know.
      1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

some hit, some don't. The ones that don't tend to touch, or maybe nobody noticed and they are now slightly bent from being bolted down. Its not a great amount of interference either way, and aluminum goes away rapidly if you hit it with a file.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Could be I mocked it up on a Holley lower instead of the stock lower. I have one of both floating around here. Maybe that was it. Maybe the aftermarket one is just different enough.

I swapped uppers over a year ago, so I can't remember for sure.
          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Hhhmmmm.... now I want to go look at my clearance on the '91! I didn't notice anything funny when I installed it... I did use a upper-to-lower spacer on the '85, only because the upperstuff I bought came with one.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
              I may have done a little better if it wasn't burning so much oil

That was a lot of oil.

Looked like a smoke stack on a goddamn coal plant.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                Looked like a smoke stack on a goddamn coal plant.
                Lol.................at least he wasnt accused of "rollin coal" like a diesel..............
                Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

it was blue, not black. The modular guys would be more familiar with that sort of coloring.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah. The 93 would puff on startup. Never smoked once warm though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I want to thank you guys for all your responses and tips! Slowly but surely I am learning the ways for mother Ford!

Comment

Might as well do the whole swap while you're at it............better yet just do the gt40 stuff...........or if doing intake/tb only just go ahead and do the exploder...........
                        Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Yup, exploder motor drop in is the best choice.

200$ on a motor is better than all the time and shit to do everything else. Then worrying if it breaks on first start up.

Junkyard "Crate" motor.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Thanks for the info pantera. Long as I can get a hold of this guy, I'm going to buy an '89 today that looks pristine. 90k on the clock, ice cold air, just passed smog, etc. Gonna take it around the block then hand the guy 1200 bucks.

Far as mods go, I hate working on stuff just to put boring stock crap back on. I know I'll see an improvement just with the HO upper but I'm all about upgrading. My brother is swapping the motor out of his 89 mustang in a few months so I may have a gt40-headed long block to work with, and maybe the edelbrock intake too! Are '89 vics speed density or mass air? I know it's 89 or 90 they switched over but can never remember. Guess i'll find out in a few hours. Wish me luck! Oh yeah, already ordered and received brass TV bushings. Got a 4-pack for 10 bucks. Anyone need one?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                              Yup, exploder motor drop in is the best choice.

200$ on a motor is better than all the time and shit to do everything else. Then worrying if it breaks on first start up.

Junkyard "Crate" motor.
                              Aren't those mass air? Whats involved to get that to work? Wouldn't I have to use a stand alone cruise module thing? I'm not looking to win drag races, just better feel all over. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do all full swap it's just I don't have the tools and space. Plus the car got swiped two times in the past 8 months so I had both sides painted, pin stripes redone, A/C needs to be overhauled, rear window fixed, looking into K code rear swap, saving for a house and I want to get the 69 Plymouth going again. Junkyard HO would look like garbage in my engine bay unless I overhaul that thing which is a lot more money. Look at my profile to see how my engine bay currently is, would you guys still swap a nasty HO in there?

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                              Thanks for the info pantera. Long as I can get a hold of this guy, I'm going to buy an '89 today that looks pristine. 90k on the clock, ice cold air, just passed smog, etc. Gonna take it around the block then hand the guy 1200 bucks.

Far as mods go, I hate working on stuff just to put boring stock crap back on. I know I'll see an improvement just with the HO upper but I'm all about upgrading. My brother is swapping the motor out of his 89 mustang in a few months so I may have a gt40-headed long block to work with, and maybe the edelbrock intake too! Are '89 vics speed density or mass air? I know it's 89 or 90 they switched over but can never remember. Guess i'll find out in a few hours. Wish me luck! Oh yeah, already ordered and received brass TV bushings. Got a 4-pack for 10 bucks. Anyone need one?
                              Ashley's 89 TC is SD

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Blue View Post
                                Might as well do the whole swap while you're at it............better yet just do the gt40 stuff...........or if doing intake/tb only just go ahead and do the exploder...........
                                Without a doubt that's they way to do it, but not everyone here wants to be tearing their engine down to a short block or swapping in HO's/Explorer's.
                                Personally I think lopo's are underrated. A bolted out one will run mid 16's-high 15's which is still slow as hell, but not bad for an engine that made 150hp new.
                                For those looking for a cheap easy upgrade, the complete HO upper is pretty high on the list. Also, it's a really good time to do lower intake gaskets while your in there.

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post

Only 91 Cali spec cars were mass air. If you have access to a complete HO longblock that's definitely the way to go.
                                And that's the great thing about boxes, they are worthless. You can find a nice creampuff for ~$1k,
                                Last edited by pantera77; 04-10-2015, 11:19 AM.
                                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                                X