Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H.O. Upper stuff swap on LoPo - Does this produce noticable gains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
    ...And that's the great thing about boxes, they are worthless. You can find a nice creampuff for ~$1k,
    Not around here haha! Here's what 1k will get you in box form:
    http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/4928006424.html
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Look at this guy and his lofty goal for this thing:
      http://monroemi.craigslist.org/cto/4958889431.html

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        Not around here haha! Here's what 1k will get you in box form:
        http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/4928006424.html
        That one doesn't look too bad, depending on how clean it was underneath. Any ad that says "I know what it's worth" is an instant red flag. Those are the dreamers that think a generic, full size, mass produced 80's car is worth something.

Down south and out west is where you'll find the best deals, since they don't rot out there, tons of boxes everywhere. Here, I can't even remember the last time I saw another one on the road. Even aeros are dying out.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Long gone are the days of $1k creampuffs unless someone is seriously in a tight spot and needs cash. A running, driving, car really regardless of condition is $1-1.5k min around here. The $hit economy ruined that gravy train. The average car on the road is now what 12-13 years old? People cant afford new cars, the inventory of old cars is diminished (we all know why)... supply and demand... prices go up.

Comment

That one doesn't look too bad, depending on how clean it was underneath. Any ad that says "I know what it's worth" is an instant red flag. Those are the dreamers that think a generic, full size, mass produced 80's car is worth something.

Down south and out west is where you'll find the best deals, since they don't rot out there, tons of boxes everywhere. Here, I can't even remember the last time I saw another one on the road. Even aeros are dying out.
            Looks can be deceiving.. I've looked at enough junk around here to know that a ratty nasty engine bay like that is a red flag. "Clean Frame" my left tes... At the end of the day that car still needs more work then its worth.. Here's what I'd rather spend money on yet you'd still have to rebuild the trans and fix windows but once that's done you've got a clean aero with nice enough paint, clean interior and nice engine bay:
            http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/4964257026.html

Down south or out west is the way to go but by the time you figure in transportation costs you might as well give the locals the 4K they want for a nicer one.. LMAO about the dreamer bit.. Nothing makes me turn around faster than someone who says "I know what it's worth." Lol well I know what I'd pay for your "time capsule" and the gap between you and me is as wide as the grand canyon..
            Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 04-10-2015, 11:53 AM. Reason: Needed to add more flair

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
              Long gone are the days of $1k creampuffs unless someone is seriously in a tight spot and needs cash. A running, driving, car really regardless of condition is $1-1.5k min around here. The $hit economy ruined that gravy train. The average car on the road is now what 12-13 years old? People cant afford new cars, the inventory of old cars is diminished (we all know why)... supply and demand... prices go up.
              That and lets not forget about C4C... I remember how horrifed I was trolling through the junkyards as that program was underway. Such a shame. BUt now you've got crap like NADA and blah blah so people think their garbage is worth a lot of money. Try telling that to your insurance company... You're right though, you gotta troll the classifieds for someone who is just looking to unload for whatever reason, that's how we got Ashley's TC. Ad wasn't even 16 hours old and we bought the thing

Comment

Lets start a free-range panther relocation program. lol Make it a 501c with a name like that...

Comment

Check this out, clean car, only has "minor rust" and was "an old ladies car" for whatever that's worth!
                  http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/4969086747.html

Gotta love the "Running 313 car" bit, because a running car in Detroit is a rare commodity. Ok, I'm done. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
                    C4C is what really messed everything up. I'll never forget the mint, rust free, absolutely gorgeous, 35k mile aero I saw C4C'd at the yard. What an absolute waste.

Looks can be deceiving.. I've looked at enough junk around here to know that a ratty nasty engine bay like that is a red flag. "Clean Frame" my left tes... At the end of the day that car still needs more work then its worth.. Here's what I'd rather spend money on yet you'd still have to rebuild the trans and fix windows but once that's done you've got a clean aero with nice enough paint, clean interior and nice engine bay:
                    http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/4964257026.html

Down south or out west is the way to go but by the time you figure in transportation costs you might as well give the locals the 4K they want for a nicer one..
                    Just drive down and drive them back, I do it all the time. Great fun road trips.

The thing is, the newest box is now 25 years old. When I buy one, I don't care about anything but how solid it is. I already know I'll be completely going through the car so when an ad says "needs this or that", I don't care at all. That just means more money to haggle off. Mileage means nothing at these ages. If you shop around, you can find really good deals. Most of my cars cost $500.

Check this out, clean car, only has "minor rust" and was "an old ladies car" for whatever that's worth!
                    http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/4969086747.html

Gotta love the "Running 313 car" bit, because a running car in Detroit is a rare commodity. Ok, I'm done. Sorry.
                    Another dreamer. That things worth $250 in scrap.
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

C4C is what really messed everything up. I'll never forget the mint, rust free, absolutely gorgeous, 35k mile aero I saw C4C'd at the yard. What an absolute waste.

Just drive down and drive them back, I do it all the time. Great fun road trips.

The thing is, the newest box is now 25 years old. When I buy one, I don't care about anything but how solid it is. I already know I'll be completely going through the car so when an ad says "needs this or that", I don't care at all. That just means more money to haggle off. Mileage means nothing at these ages. If you shop around, you can find really good deals. Most of my cars cost $500.

Another dreamer. That things worth $250 in scrap.
                      The metro detroit area is filled with these dreamers... I don't know what happened. Probably related to hipsters..

I still care how solid something looks. I don't care for mileage either or whatever they've got to say but how they word their ad lets me in on how flexible they might be or if it's even worth calling them. I guess the difference between someone skilled such as yourself and me who plays with hand tools to do simple stuff is that everything I can't do, I gotta farm out. That's money. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and am detail oriented. A clean interior, matching paint, minimal dings and clean engine bay which is mostly free of rusty fittings or dry rotted rubber are signs that say to me the thing has been maintained. That's why I'm on the fence with a complete HO swap..

So despite the gas costs to move the cars it's still pretty profitable to bring cars up here? Ashley wants to do a drivetrain swap to a cleaner 87-91 F-150/250 but to drive our asses all the way to say Arizona would be a nearly $800 gas expense, provided no issues with the purchased vehicle that is.
                      Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 04-10-2015, 12:06 PM. Reason: More verbage necessary.

Comment

So I guess I didn't mention I also have really shitty luck. The car I was set on sold last nite. I found another one that was actually much closer to me, and it also sold. Now pretty much all that's left are the real crapbaskets or the dreamers who think their car is worth friggin' $4,000. Guess that's what I get for thinking I was actually going to have a good day. Meanwhile my boss has been hassling me all day wanting to know if I can come help out on my day off. While the money couldn't hurt at this point, my day off is exactly that.

Oh well, guess I'm back to browsing CL and waiting for my diamond to appear, then having the goddamned time to actually go look at/buy it. This sucks
                        Pretty much everything else went to pot early on today so after driving my brother around all morning trying to find a rental car(his f-150HD decided to break last nite), I've picked up some beer and am now sitting at home drinking beer and doing laundry. I so badly want to be part of the box club! Wish I'd been looking for these things a few years ago when nobody wanted them....
                        Last edited by knucklehead0202; 04-10-2015, 03:17 PM. Reason: oops

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                          So I guess I didn't mention I also have really shitty luck. The car I was set on sold last nite. I found another one that was actually much closer to me, and it also sold. Now pretty much all that's left are the real crapbaskets or the dreamers who think their car is worth friggin' $4,000. Guess that's what I get for thinking I was actually going to have a good day. Meanwhile my boss has been hassling me all day wanting to know if I can come help out on my day off. While the money couldn't hurt at this point, my day off is exactly that.

Oh well, guess I'm back to browsing CL and waiting for my diamond to appear, then having the goddamned time to actually go look at/buy it. This sucks
                          Pretty much everything else went to pot early on today so after driving my brother around all morning trying to find a rental car(his f-150HD decided to break last nite), I've picked up some beer and am now sitting at home drinking beer and doing laundry. I so badly want to be part of the box club! Wish I'd been looking for these things a few years ago when nobody wanted them....
                          Drinking some beer on your day off doesn't sound like a bad thing at all!

Idk where you live, but by me boxes have been expensive for a number of years now. I've had my current CV for almost 3yrs now and it was probably around $1500 when I got it. After that, I usually have seen stuff that is $3000+. Before that it was hard to find anything really lower than $2000 for a while. My 91 GMQ I think I paid $1200 for. They do pop up from time to time for around $600-800 but you have to be quick because the junkers like to grab them quick when they're that low.

You sound exactly like me in my search for a cheap decent 70s LTD barge! Unfortunately, I've found my cheap ones, the lack of having a place to store it currently makes finding it that much more bittersweet. lol

Best of luck in your search!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

They pop up when you stop looking. That's how I end up with so many projects.

Comment

Lol, I used to be the same way. Yeah guess it just wasn't meant to be today. It just frustrates the hell out of me because I don't often have a free day to do anything. Figured I'd pick up the car in the morning and have the whole rest of the day to tinker with it and then start buying stupid shit to put on it

It's been years since I've had a car I could mess with. My '98 cvpi has been a good car to me but it's boring as all shit. The 4.6 is a torque-less turd of a boat anchor and since I'm in California I really can't do much of anything to it. OBD-I cars are so much easier to mod and get away with here as the CARB approval numbers back then weren't vehicle-specific, and 5.0 parts are so much cheaper than the mod-motor crap. Add that to the fact that '80s cars just turn me on and yeah, it's just time to move on. Thought about getting a fox mustang again but I won't be able to do everything I want to it and I also have 6 year old twins, so it's nice having 4 doors and more room. Wife won't let me have 2 cars until we get a house, which is kinda sensible, but also no fun. Oh well, my day will come. Meanwhile, i'll entertain myself by reading up on all this tech stuff and anecdotes from you great folks.

Thanks a lot guys, i'll be hanging around here pretty regular I reckon, but will try not to be annoying.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Crown-V...m=251905285897

Iowa. Looks cleannnnnn.

Oh jesus, Zach. Go buy this one. It's got 24k on it.

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/4969857807.html
                                Last edited by Bobcat; 04-10-2015, 05:27 PM.
                                __________________________________________________

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                                The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                                It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Working...
                                X