Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H.O. Upper stuff swap on LoPo - Does this produce noticable gains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
    I'd be interested to see how a typhoon will work on a lopo. A few people have tried running explorer intakes on a lopo, and they all ended up running like crap. I think it's just to much intake for a wheezy lopo.
    I strongly suspect you're right on this. I do remember a few people trying this and found the motor lost it's low end torque, and honestly thats all they had going for them to begin with.

I'm sort of curious how a mildly ported lower with the stock lopo upper would do. That would at least even out the airflow without having too much intake to worry about. At some point it just has to be obvious that we're polishing turds though. Still, I got surprising improvements out of that Holley lower on my stock HO. A properly ported stock lower casting would be pretty comparable to the Holley piece.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm curious how a ported lower or systemax lower would run on a lopo with an HO upper. I'd imagine it would still flow a touch less then a gt40 combo, so maybe it would work good. Seeing that the stock SEFI lower isn't known for it's even flow rate maybe it would help out a bit without being too much.
      But like you said, at that point you may as well improve past the factory boat anchor e6's and not so bumpy bump stick.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Well it likely won't see a dyno anytime soon, but i'll also probably be putting on some other stuff when I stick on that typhoon intake. It'll likely get 1.7 rockers and a whole new intake tract in the process, and the car already has full exhaust. I don't dream it'll make a huge difference but if all those things do nothing for it i'll just shitcan the motor and put an HO/stroker in the bastard.

Comment

I'm curious how a ported lower or systemax lower would run on a lopo with an HO upper.
          I should try it. But I don't want to put it on, then tear it back off later this year for the HO swap.
          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I'm curious how a ported lower or systemax lower would run on a lopo with an HO upper. I'd imagine it would still flow a touch less then a gt40 combo, so maybe it would work good. Seeing that the stock SEFI lower isn't known for it's even flow rate maybe it would help out a bit without being too much.
            But like you said, at that point you may as well improve past the factory boat anchor e6's and not so bumpy bump stick.

I ported my upper/lower HO intakes. Lots of material to take out of the lower especially around the two front runners (1/5)..all I did to the upper was gasket match and smooth out where those big long bolts go through the center of the intake. Stock from the cylinder heads to the oil pan though - E6 heads.

The car pulls like a motherfucker until 4 grand or so and then that's about it. It's a great cruiser but runs out of steam on the top pretty easily. I'd imagine the problem might be even worse if I had more gears than 3.08, it would get to 4000-42000RPM even quicker.

It feels stronger than stock and I think with E7 heads that have had a little bit of work (get rid of the thermactor bumps and smooth everything out) it would be a good runner. Even the cheapest of aftermarket heads would make a world of difference. It's as polished as an E6 turd can be right now.
            Last edited by 1990LTD; 06-28-2015, 03:43 PM.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

So I've got a typhoon intake manifold, 65mm lightning TB/egr spacer, mustang intake tube, '04PI airbox and a c&l maf on it's way. It's calibrated for 24# injectors, which I also have a set of. I'm on the fence with buying a set of AFR heads, but may just get some 1.7 rockers for the time being to stick on the stock heads. Just the little stuff should wake the sucker up but I want MORE! Opinions; AFR 165's or 185's? I can get either for about the same price and more is usually better, but the more I'm going to do is a mild 347 with a little blower, don't want to dump low-end torque too much. Once I go HO i'll be running a Crane Compucam 2030. Specs are .533/.544 216/220@.050 112lsa. My understanding is that this cam likes a 1.6 rocker, but that'll be after I do heads, so it really doesn't matter with the immediate setup. Next step is rear-end gears and at least a decent valve body or shift-kit. Would a later-model PI aluminum/mmx driveshaft fit the box?

Comment

I guess I'm kinda confused. Are you putting all this stuff (typhoon intake manifold, 65mm lightning TB/egr spacer, mustang intake tube, '04PI airbox and a c&l maf on it's way) on the stock lopo long block?
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

All these parts... You'll probably spend less and get better performance if you just convert it to a stock HO.
                  2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                  2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                  Past Panthers
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                  if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Yes, I have a stock lopo that all this crap will be going on, for now. Once I've gathered the proper parts, i'll likely be doing an HO swap, but I'd just like the extra oomph for now. My car is mass-air already so it shouldn't be a problem. The '04 airbox will NOT be used with an '04 maf, which is obviously not compatible with the earlier system, but rather modified to accommodate a fox mustang MAF. By "converting" it to a stock HO, do you mean throwing a whole motor in it, or just the stuff to swap over? And no, I won't be spending less. The parts I already have cost me under 100 bucks and other stuff I've traded for. If I do heads that'll obviously cost a fair piece, but I'm not going to a ton of trouble to swap heads with other crappy factory stuff, no matter how much "better" than stock. The idea here is that I have room to grow, and grow it will. The motor in this car doesn't burn oil and runs good, so I'm not bothered by slapping some heads and other stuff on it, including perhaps, an HO-style cam/distributor/etc. Of course i'll have to change the computer and what-not, but if I'm going that far, I'm going all-in with heads, cam, intake, roller-rockers, etc. At that point i'll be doing at least a valve body and rear-end gears/diff too. While these things will really wake the car up, I've got much bigger plans. Just looking at what I can jam on it now that I already have. Far as the induction stuff goes, yes, it'll probably be going on the stock LOPO in the next couple weeks.

Comment

I have a feeling thats going to be too much intake, and you may actually be going backwards in performance running it on a lopo. Then again with mass air, it may compensate and work out. I know people have done Explorer intakes on lopos before and it really doesn't do anything useful.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                        Yes, I have a stock lopo that all this crap will be going on, for now. Once I've gathered the proper parts, i'll likely be doing an HO swap, but I'd just like the extra oomph for now. My car is mass-air already so it shouldn't be a problem.
                        HO upper/TB and stock HO shorties, all can be had super cheap, maybe free and probably run the best on SD without touching the long block. That's my plan if I end up keeping my car. I don't feel like messing with the heads or cam so that's my best bet.

If swapping out the heads or cam, I'd say GT40 heads at the least to be worth the trouble and a better cam than the HO, one with more low end like gadget's XE258. Then GT40 intakes and your mass air to tie it together. For now, go with the HO topper stuff like I said for easiest/cheapest power. Also some lower gears like 3.73's will really make a difference from stock 2.73's. With just that, I'd be happy with my car's torque for daily cruising, don't need to tear into the long block since I'm cheap and lazy like that.
                        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

From personal experience, my car saw the most improvement from using a stock short block and adding HO upper/throttle body, Mustang shorties and Mustang H-pipe, E7 heads and 3.27 rear gear. The car ran almost a full second faster in the 1/4 mile with those mods. Later in the year, I added HO cam, 19lb injectors and D9S ECM from a mark 7. adding these parts added NO extra power and showed no improvements in the 1/4 mile time. The fuel mileage dropped dramatically and car constantly had drive ability issues.

If I had to it all over again.... I would keep the stock short block, install the HO upper/throttle body, install either E7 or P heads, factory dual exhaust or better (depending on cylinder head choice) install 3.55 gear, do some transmission improvements and if I wanted more lift on the cam install some Cobra 1.7 rockers.
                          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

On my 90 I did P-heads on a stock LOPO bottom end with a HO cam and LCS computer. Using the systemax intake / HO TB setup now in the hands of HiFiMerc... it ran like a raped ape.

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                              Later in the year, I added HO cam, 19lb injectors and D9S ECM from a mark 7. adding these parts added NO extra power and showed no improvements in the 1/4 mile time. The fuel mileage dropped dramatically and car constantly had drive ability issues.
                              Well there was clearly something wrong with your parts there.

Comment

Car now has duals with turbo muffs and a 3.27 rear which I plan on keeping. Later in the fall I'll have a posi carrier swapped in. Still looking for a clean HO upper manifold, I've got a lightning TB and spacer waiting...
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                                X