Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insane Idea - 460 CID (Now 351w options)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no idea what a clutch and steels kit is, but I'll look into it.

Comment

Please, don't rebuild your own rear end.

The benefit of a wide-ratio AOD is that with a 3.55 rear, it gives you the equivalent of a 4.19 gear in first, and 3.73 in second... exactly what these fat cars need to get moving without sacrificing the economy of Overdrive

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
      '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
      '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Fine, I won't rebuild my own rear end.

That sounds hilarious to say out loud.

Comment

I was only suggesting rebuilding the trac-lok if he purchases a used one, its not complicated and even beginners need to start somewhere...........then having a proffesional set up the gear with the rebuilt carrier (trac-lok)...........

A buddy just went from 3.73 to 4.10 in his 4r70w equipped 3700lb. baby ltd lx 5.0 daily driver.............and he loves it................. dont fear the gear!

Phayzer needs a 4.10 in teh cobra towncar=beastmode...........
          Last edited by Mr.Blue; 04-24-2015, 06:35 PM.
          Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Iet him get though an engine and transmission install without problems first before we assign him carrier rebuild homework

I don't fear the gear, I'm already gonna have enough trouble trying to hook up 500+ ft-lbs of torque without bumping up the RAR 15%

'80 Town Coupé

Comment

If you're going to build the motor yourself you'll also need tools. Like a quality torque wrench, Dial indicator & mount, degree wheel for the cam, proper assembly lubes and good quality fasteners for everything. (as was listed with all arp goodies) I had to install this cam on the 2 degrees retard keyway to get the 109* ICL recommended for this cam. It's a monster, .613" lift on both intake and exhaust.

I've assembled this mostly from corral.net classifieds. I got the shortblock kinda local from a guy bailing on his fox body project, brand new high compression forged everything 357w $1000. Low miles ARF 205 heads that i gave new seals and a valve lap $1300 shipped. Used unported Vic Jr carb $175. Don't skimp on gaskets, cometic for the heads with studs is a must.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150424_204907_812-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	1277385

Comment

My mechanic friend has all required tools and garage space to get it done.

I wouldn't dream of skimping on head gaskets; the highest quality cork ones are the way to go I hear.

Comment

head gaskets are typically steel core aren't they? Just the pan/valve cover/intake gaskets can be had in cork?

I have never heard of cork head gaskets on a V8. Of course, I've never ventured that deep into an engine to really know either.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'll research this more better before I decide. I don't need head gasket failure after 3 kilometers.

Comment

No cork anywhere. Rubber with steel inserts for oil pan and valve covers. Felpros on the intake. Felpro head gaskets work great, but an MLS (multi layered steel) cometic gasket is just about the best I can do for my compression ratio. (13.5:1 for E85) without o-ringing and using copper.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
                        No cork anywhere. Rubber with steel inserts for oil pan and valve covers.
                        The blue Perma-dry ones work great. That's what the valve cover gaskets on the box are. They're just now letting a tiny bit of moisture seep thru on the drivers side. Probably because they're at least 15 years old, and that's the 3rd engine they've been on. lol.
                        1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

So MLS for head gaskets then?

Comment

I use Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal head gaskets and never had any problems. Fel-Pros are the standard. MLS will work fine too

'80 Town Coupé

Comment

The only reason i went with MLS was because of my ridiculous compression ratio. Felpros are good for a pump gas combo.

Comment

Come down to Florida and I'll sell you my motor, tranny, fuel system parts that pushed my car to the 12's with a 125 shot. I'll throw in the cam I never installed which will pick up a lot on the top end. Just needs new valve springs and intake gaskets. $2500
                                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Working...
                                X