Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insane Idea - 460 CID (Now 351w options)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if I change the rods, I presume pushrods, I can avoid this boring/grinding silliness?

Comment

After some checking around, it appears that connecting rods are the items in question.

Comment

Yes, correct, if the sum of all the parts add up and you don't have the required clearance basically all you're going to grind is a small notch giving that bolt head clearance on the bottom of the bore. Actually increasing the bore diameter from a stock 4.000" to 4.030" etc. will require a machine shop. They will also align hone the crank journals if needed, if you switch to main studs over bolts that step is needed. (for any performance build I would run studs all around)

Comment

Main studs over bolts....

I wonder if my printout mentions those.

Comment

If I were you, I'd swap to 4bbl carb, add lower axle ratio, delete the smog pump (on top of that, remove the a/c belt if you can live without a/c but don't want to rip it out), and do headers with 2.5" exhaust and see how you like it. That'll be the least involved way to add some power and it won't take too much time or money, compared to an engine build. Who knows, the 351 already has more power than the 302, with those mods it might have enough power to satisfy you for now, and you can build a fresh engine and transmission in the meantime.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

What is the smog pump?

The serpentine belt has been gone for a couple of years already.

Comment

And 2.5" exhaust - is that inlet, or outlet?

Comment

I think pipe size is outside diameter while muffler in/out is inside diameter, so that way mufflers slip over exhaust tubing.
                  88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                  Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Windsor View Post
                    What kinda motor is it, and how much shipping will it cost me to have you send it here?
                    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...PDATED*-page-2
                    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

hOW ABOUT AN aluminum 351 FMS block
                      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                        hOW ABOUT AN aluminum 351 FMS block
                        If you can afford one, you can also pay to have this motor assembled. lol

Comment

I guess at this point I wonder if boring the engine is necessary for 418 CID.

Or can I just go with different pistons/connecting rods?

Comment

Start here, pick a kit for whatever displacement you want, and tell a machinist (not your asshat mechanic) to assemble it. Don't try to do this yourself; building a engine of this level from scratch isn't something you "learn as you go"

http://www.coasthigh.com/Ford-351-Wi...its-s/1306.htm

9 pages into this and we're hardly further off from where we began. We cant give you the entirety of ford small block engine theory in a single thread. There's books for this kind of stuff. Decide on a budget, performance target, then pick a displacement and stick to your plan. 4 different displacements in this thread so far. Are you gonna find another build article and change your mind for #5?

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                            '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                            '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Well.

I said I was going to go for a 418 stroker. I haven't changed that target.

I joined this forum because I own an 80s panther. Sorry for not being a mechanic. I don't know all the goddamned mother fucking "gearhead lingo". Sorry for not being on the same wavelength as you.

I think I'm done with this board. I don't need attitude from people who have little patience for those less knowledgeable than themselves.

I was actually going to give Scott or whoever runs this site $50 as a donation, but I realize now that I'm viewed as a nuisance member.

And my "asshat mechanic" does occasional work on my car for me; at least he doesn't generally deride me for not being born with the knowledge of differentiating between a connecting rod and a pushrod.

Please, lock this thread, and then delete my account from the database.

Comment

He's right you know, we're nearly ten pages deep and no closer to knowing what you actually want. There's always people willing to help, but going around in circles doesn't help anyone.
                                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                                X