Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insane Idea - 460 CID (Now 351w options)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insane Idea - 460 CID (Now 351w options)

I swear I've posted about doing this before. My mind is going...

Anyways, I want to swap out the 5.8L in my 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis LS and replace it with a 460 7.5 (7.6?) litre big block.

If I were to do this, I would also need to change out the Ford AOD transmission, I think for a "E4OD" transmission.

What are you guys' thoughts on this? I know, it seems wild. But hey.

Thanks.

I guess the obvious question is why? If its a performance thing then just mod the 351...........the 460 thing isnt a "instant" hp/torque fix, alot of those things are low compression dogs and then factor in the extra weight..........my buddy is dropping one in one of his mustangs but its an older one with decent compression and he's got all the other combos covered including a procharged 349/4r70, n/a 5.0 stick car, aod nos 5.0 car, twin turbo 5.0 build, bolt on 5.0 stick car and a stock '86 5.0 stick coupe so he decided he needed a BBF besides the one in his 4x4 lol.............

Its also a pretty big financial commitment.............not trying to rain on your parade, its just a big project and unless you "have to have" a BBF ford the 351 thats already there makes more sense in my book..............
    Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

You'd roast tires like no tomorrow. But its quite a bit of money to do a BBF swap

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
      1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

I refuse to add up all the receipts. Don't want to send myself into shock!
        sigpic
        89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
        13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
        "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Windsor View Post

What are you guys' thoughts on this? I know, it seems wild. But hey.

Thanks.
          Your mechanic has trouble keeping the stock 351 running. Leave it alone.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I haven't been to that guy since summer 2013.

Comment

So should I instead performance mod the 351? What about the transmission?

Comment

It's going to be cheaper and easier to mod the 351 and transmission.
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

So what kind of modifications can be made to the engine and the Ford AOD transmission?

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
                    I refuse to add up all the receipts. Don't want to send myself into shock!
                    I was going to use you as an example of possible cost but didnt want you to have bad dreams............i throw all my receipts away lol

Comment

So what kind of modifications can be made to the engine and the Ford AOD transmission?
                      What are your goals? A specific E.T.? Power number? Have to beat a friends _____ car? Fun cruiser? Roast the tires around the block? Sound nasty? etc. etc..............what all's done to the car now? And have you ever owned a "fast" or performance car? Is this your only car? Fast/quick is relative to what you drive so my mustangs feel slow to my buddy (5.70 index racer) but "fast" to my co-worker..................honestly gears (3.73/4.10) would be almost my first mod depending on how far you drive etc........then move into VB/stall for proposed engine mods........these cars are just kinda bad in all phases but you have to start somewhere and the gears will give a decent butt-dyno reading, exhaust also if you havent already got that..............

Comment

On the engine:
                        Firstly, make sure your engine isn't beat to death. Just give it a few revs and see how much smoke it puts out, for a good idea.
                        - Cam (Don't overshoot your compression ratio (8.5) with a bigger cam, even an HO would be an upgrade.)
                        - Heads (GT40s or Aluminum heads, like TW170s)
                        - Intake (You'd want a lower intake or medium rise, google for something good.)
                        - Carb (550 CFM to 600CFM on a mild build. I used 650 since it was cheap and readily available and I have bigger plans for years to come.)

Transmission:
                        - Get rid of slushbox.
                        - Silverfox Valve body
                        - Change fluid
                        - Change stall of converter depending on cam choice. 2,500 would probably be ideal.

Change your rear gears to 3.27s or 3.55s for good daily use.

I'm going to use 3.73s because I don't think in a logical manner and am an irresponsible teenager.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                        The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                        It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

A good running 351 is an excellent starting point for building a good power making engine.
                          I had one like yours years ago, and I regret no keeping it now. I should have done a 4 barrel swap and tightened up the transmission. Rear gears are a good mod too, 3.55s would really wake up the small block.
                          I want to put an EFI 351W in my current 88 Lincoln, now that I know it can be done and clear the hood.
                          Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                          Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mod what you've got. Is the '86 your only form of transportation?
                            '79 Continental Town Car
                            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Well... I just want to have a powerful engine and transmission in what everyone seems to think is a "crap" automobile.

I'd like to EFI the engine.

Also, what is a slushbox? What sort of transmission do I use?

Those 3.55" gears are what I had in mind...

Comment

Working...
                              X