The adventures of a throttle body cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The adventures of a throttle body cleaning

I woke up this morning, bright and early, with a mission: To clean the throttle body on my 1994 MGM, in an attempt to get the throttle to stop sticking when opening from closed throttle. So, thats exactly what I did.

So get up, take a shower, ya-da ya-da, get to the parts store and pick up a soft brush and a can of CRC Throttle Body & Intake cleaner. Come home, pop the hood, and begin the fun.

Step 1: Attempt to remove the vacuum hoses connected to the airbox, succeed, but never fail to slice yourself three ways to Sunday on sharp metal objects when the vacuum hoses suddenly come flying off.

Step 2: While trying to remove the mounting screw for the airbox that holds the airbox in place on the throttle body, drop your 1/2" extension onto the engine block, and say goodbye to it forever (yes, this happened, and I still haven't found it)

Step 3: Curse wildly at the motor because it stole your 1/2" extension

Step 4: Search aimlessly for at least 10 minutes to try to find another extension

Step 5: FINALLY find an extension

Step 6: Remove the mounting bolt for the airbox

Step 7: Remove airbox, watch as rubber holder and hose clamp come flying off the throttle body and falls under the car

Step 8: Retrieve rubber holder and hose clamp from underneath car

Step 9: Look into throttle body, cringe at the sight of pure blackness inside of the throttle body (the back of the throttle plate was PURE black, as well as behind it and in front of it too

Step 10: Spray cleaner into throttle body, choke on the fumes of said cleaner

Step 11: Take brush and brush out ugliness of throttle body

Step 12: Watch as black liquid comes out of throttle body

Step 13: Have your father fly out the door telling you to move the car out of the way of the garage (not going to happen)

Step 14: Attempt to start the car without the airbox, nope nope nope

Step 15: Throw everything back together after finishing cleaning

Step 16: Try relentlessly to get the engine started after flooding it with cleaner

Step 17: Engine is all stumbly and junk

Step 18: Engine smooths out

Step 19: Take it for a test drive, and marvel at the fact that the throttle plate is not sticking

Step 20: Rejoice.

So, mission accomplished, with only a couple cuts, and now I don't have a sticking throttle plate. Sounds good to me!

I have a theory.
    There is something about internal combustion engines, that forms small tears in the fabric of space time. Sometimes when you drop a tool, it passes through one of these into another dimension. It's a very similar process to the better known "socks in the dryer" phenomena.
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

Comment

Fyi, you probably should have removed the tb.
      Use a magnet through the front of the motor under the alternator to try and snag your extension.

Just curious.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
        I have a theory.
        There is something about internal combustion engines, that forms small tears in the fabric of space time. Sometimes when you drop a tool, it passes through one of these into another dimension. It's a very similar process to the better known "socks in the dryer" phenomena.
        Video NSFW, BTW:

I have a feeling it might be in the valley underneath your intake manifold. Just do what SVT98t, you'll probably find it.
        Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 04-11-2015, 12:18 PM.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

LoL, now this was funny. It never ceases to amaze me as tools and parts go missing into the realm of oblivion or when your hand goes flying straight for a strategically placed sharp object so you can make a sacrifice to the blood gods.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
            LoL, now this was funny. It never ceases to amaze me as tools and parts go missing into the realm of oblivion or when your hand goes flying straight for a strategically placed sharp object so you can make a sacrifice to the blood gods.
            I think someone's dropped tool reappeared in the engine bay of my '97 TC when I owned it. I was changing the spark plugs one day and found a set of pliers tucked away out of plain sight.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
              I think someone's dropped tool reappeared in the engine bay of my '97 TC when I owned it. I was changing the spark plugs one day and found a set of pliers tucked away out of plain sight.
              Depending upon how unlucky/incompetent a mechanic was, one can build up an entire tool chest this way!! LOL

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                Depending upon how unlucky/incompetent a mechanic was, one can build up an entire tool chest this way!! LOL
                I've found tools in my ranger when I bought it- the nasty wire cutters used to hack up the wiring harness for a trailer hitch and then a spark plug socket in the air box. I often find tools at the junkyard too, it helps to have a keen eye lol.

Comment

For vise-grips, look in 70s-80s Ford pickups. That was a common aftermarket window crank repair. You might find them on 90s Chevy pickups too, but on the seat tilt levers. They made them from aluminum and the handles broke the shafts off pretty frequently.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Lol, I just had this conversation a few weeks ago about fox-bodied fords. While looking at a potential buy I was BS'ing with the guy and told him that all Foxes now weigh probably 5-10lbs more than when they came from the factory because of all the sockets lost in the k-member. I literally found sockets years later that no amount of looking, clawing wildly and magnets would unearth. Maybe Ford owned a tool company at some point and was trying to stir up more business...

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                      If that is the indicator, I should expect to see a entire snap on roll away under the hood. It will take just one "repair".

Comment

http://imgur.com/g4I0L8U

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                          X