1979 Lincoln, headers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 Lincoln, headers?

Does anyone make a set of headers that will fit a 78 Lincoln with a 460? Specifically, headers that will not require modifications to the shifting or steering linkage.

Here is the car I am looking at:

http://fargo.craigslist.org/cto/4959055310.html
    Last edited by TurboDouche; 04-18-2015, 02:06 AM.

Its so prettyyyyy. I want a barge.

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
    1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

If you want tubular headers of any kind of tube length (short, mid, long), they'll need to be custom made for your car. Unless BBK or some other good go-fast parts producer has branched off to barge body cars, which hasn't happened to the best of my knowledge.
      '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
      '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
      '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Ford Power Applications makes mid length/short that WILL fit. They are for the 65-70 Galaxie.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Galaxie1.htm
        sigpic
        89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
        13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
        "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
          Ford Power Applications makes mid length/short that WILL fit. They are for the 65-70 Galaxie.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Galaxie1.htm
          Thanks for all the comments. I'll shoot them an email and see how much they cost.

Comment

I also sent an email to Jeggs. They set me up with a nice set of Hooker headers a few years ago for my Cordoba. They fit perfectly and did not require any modifications. Jeggs has a set of tight tuck headers that might work out? We'll see what they have to say.

Comment

You will have to shell out some cash for custom headers.

-or-

My 460 from my 1978 GMQ I got the Hearthrob exhaust kit with 3/8 exhaust flanges. The kit was like $200 bucks.
              I am glad that I can weld.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                You will have to shell out some cash for custom headers.
                That is correct. $650 plus shipping from fordpowertrain.

Comment

Know this is kinda old, but anyone know if something like these would fit??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271016430902...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                  sigpic

Comment

with the right down pipes... IE: custom... probably.It may need an immediate 30-45 bend off that flange though. Check your manifolds to see how far they drop from the mounting point on the engine and see what's exactly down from the rear most port to see if that will clear. That straight down collector definitely makes figuring out the path of the pipes easy. Looks like it's about 10-12 inches from the port to the collector flange... so you'll need at least 15-18 inches of clearance down to make a bend and clear anything else with those headers and have it all be behind the 3rd exhaust port. If the cross member is at or in front of the 3rd exhaust port... you should be good as long as the steering shaft is a good manifold and a half or so away from the engine for clearance of the header.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hmmm, just went out n looked, that steering box looks like it might cause some issues.

You would think there was a set of headers that easily fit that people would use. On my 83 ltd I used 66-77 Bronco Headers, they required just a little mod underneath to fit up to stock exhaust.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hav24wheel View Post
                        Know this is kinda old, but anyone know if something like these would fit??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271016430902...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                        The seller says these headers fit many different applications, so it wouldn't hurt to message him. Where are you in ND? I'm posting from Moorhead, MN.

Comment

Bismarck...

My little bro is in Moorhead
                          sigpic

Comment

I'd bet hooker or hedman make something that would fit it, most likely a longtube though. It may not say specifically that car but look for something the same size/frame, etc. Gotta be out there.

Comment

Now I've got Lincoln fever again. I spun a bearing in my LTD and rather than getting it rebuilt I'm tempted to buy a set of the ebay headers and get this:
                              http://fargo.craigslist.org/cto/5462117512.html

Comment

Working...
                              X