No announcement yet.

K&N air filter (performance difference)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that in stock applications CAI kits like headers are more of a personal ego thing than an actual performance gain.

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
      I think that in stock applications CAI kits like headers are more of a personal ego thing than an actual performance gain.
      usually... or a noise thing... for me it was finding a replacement for the stock intake that rotted out on the 88... but it then became a "what can I do with it" thing that ballooned into the redneck ram air.

on the 93... it was a top end performance thing. It does pull a little better past 4500-5000 rpm with the performance filter. But then I got the PI motor in there and I have no clue if the stock PI intake/filter setup would be as good as the AFE stage 1 I have. I do prefer the noise though... which is the main thing for me. I like the sound and the stock stuff doesn't sound as nice to me. (doesn't really sound at all, but then they were designed to be silent.)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've used oiled cloth before, and honestly I find it to be a real pain in the ass. The washing and oiling is messy and time consuming. I'd rather just throw a paper filter in there every once in a while and call it a day. I also can't say I've ever noticed any difference in performance with one.

I made my S10 sound like it had a fancy intake by removing a plastic air silencer from the bottom of the airbox. Same on the Mark VII and the Towncar. The stock box setup you can't do that with, since there is no silencer.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

They're ok. Just got to be careful about re-oiling them as too much can gunk up a MAF bad.
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I like my K&N filter in my 88 lopo 5.0. Saves money in the long run cleaning and reusing the same air filter.
            Only real difference I see in the car itself is the throttle response seems a bit more crisp, but just enough to be barely noticeable. MPG and overall performance is unaffected.
            Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
            Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
              Saves money in the long run cleaning and reusing the same air filter.
              Right.
              Only real difference I see in the car itself is the throttle response seems a bit more crisp, but just enough to be barely noticeable. MPG and overall performance is unaffected.
              I agree. When I replaced my old paper filter with a K&N look-alike (the Fram AirHog), the response to more throttle during highway speed passing was instantaneous, instead of the brief acceleration pause I'd experience with a paper filter.

Comment

Ran a KN in the '98, couldn't tell you if it made any difference really, but it did foul the MAF when I put it in, lol. I've always considered the K&N filter to be almost a first-thing-to-do when I got a car, right up until my '90. Firstly, nothing short of major surgery is going to show any performance improvement, second, I get irritated by fouled maf sensors, and third, I'm saving the money for more important performance parts, like a set of heads. Once I do the whole intake setup on this car, including the '04 PI airbox, i'll probably stick a K&N or equivalent in it, but for now it rides with a new cheapie paper filter. Better than the old dirty paper filter it came with...

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                  I'd stick with paper filters, a few independent tests show they filter the best and you're not going to notice any difference with a K&N, and in fact I seriously doubt you would with a full CAI kit. I've used the same paper filters for years, the one on my truck has been there for 7 years and still looks clean, so I can't justify the cost of a K&N.
                  Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  I've used oiled cloth before, and honestly I find it to be a real pain in the ass. The washing and oiling is messy and time consuming. I'd rather just throw a paper filter in there every once in a while and call it a day. I also can't say I've ever noticed any difference in performance with one.

I made my S10 sound like it had a fancy intake by removing a plastic air silencer from the bottom of the airbox. Same on the Mark VII and the Towncar. The stock box setup you can't do that with, since there is no silencer.
                  +1 to all of this. I just had to have an exposed K&N on the Fireturd & Fury. Look great but they're a pain to clean and there's no performance difference. If it weren't for the love of the look I'd just run the paper type, all of the other cars in the fleet get treated to them.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                  X