K&N air filter (performance difference)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K&N air filter (performance difference)

I have driven 20K on the same old air filter. I was going to just replace it, but with the guys that got a K&N, is there a noticeable performance/ fuel economy difference. I am looking to put it in a 1989 LTC lopo 5.0
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

You should make one readers ride page and keep all of your questions to that. It seems like there's a couple threads everyday.. lol

It's a /good/ upgrade. It's not going to hurt anything and you won't feel a difference.. It just is a good quality maintenance item and will perform, slightly better.

None of us really have motors that would truly show huge gains from that type of filter.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

IF both paper and K&N are clean no real differance.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I tried it on my cars and saw no uptick in MPG's or HP that I could measure or feel. Stick with a good well made aftermarket (if you choose to not use Motorcraft) and "call it a day"!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

the only reason I use the cone filters is because no need to change the filter... just clean it. makes it cheaper in the long run.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Never used the cone ones. Only the traditional shape (rectangle). Except for the expense, I saw no difference.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

I have a cone filter in mine, just a cheap Spectre I got for my old Mazda and carried over. I don't notice any measurable difference, but I like being able to clean it and the wooshy sound it makes. I'm considering switching back to my stock airbox with a k&n filter I have lying around, after I clean and oil that, just to see if performance/mpg changes. We'll see about that once the weather stabilizes.

An added bonus of both of the reusable filters is that the wire mesh makes it difficult for mice to chew up your filter. I live in a woodsy area with lots of critters and got pretty sick of pulling dead mice and nests out of my airbox and replacing filters.

1995 Grand Marquis GS
              - 156k miles, three-tone until I find my paint
              1990 Toyota Camry DX - 211k miles, someone else's future barn find
              1994 Saturn SW2 wagon - wife's car

Originally posted by SVT98t
              I'll make it fit.
              I own hammers.

Comment

+1 on the sound. The 88 sounds MEAN up front when I mash the gas. The 93 sounds mean period.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

One drawback I've heard is that the oil on those filters can contaminate the MAF sensor. Personally, I'm quite happy paying about $5 or so every couple of years.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                  mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I am not quite talking about the cone type, I mean the one that fits in the oem setup.

The 89 doesn't have the MAF sensor sensor, so I don't have to worry about that, right?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Maintenance is the same whether the filter is a cone or OE fit. I've had to clean the MAF on the 93 once because I over oiled the filter, but I learned for that and keep the oil layer thin.

Comment

I don't think the 5.0 panthers had Mass air flow, it was high density I believe, and that doesn't have any delicate electronics downstream from the filter

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Yeah. My 88 cares not. It just goes.

Comment

I'd stick with paper filters, a few independent tests show they filter the best and you're not going to notice any difference with a K&N, and in fact I seriously doubt you would with a full CAI kit. I've used the same paper filters for years, the one on my truck has been there for 7 years and still looks clean, so I can't justify the cost of a K&N.
                            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                              I'd stick with paper filters, a few independent tests show they filter the best and you're not going to notice any difference with a K&N, and in fact I seriously doubt you would with a full CAI kit. I've used the same paper filters for years, the one on my truck has been there for 7 years and still looks clean, so I can't justify the cost of a K&N.
                              As I said - +1!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X