No announcement yet.

Derek's 1988 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you go stand on a corner? I think thats required when you go to Winslow, AZ.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Did you go stand on a corner? I think thats required when you go to Winslow, AZ.
      Haha yup, was such a fine sight to see. Glad someone caught that. That was the whole reason for the destination actually. We wanted to do a road trip, wasn't sure where to go but knew we wanted to at least go west. Then that song played and we had our destination. Then we sprinkled other stops and activities in like going to see the Grand Canyon and ghost towns. Picking up a car was a priority but all these guys wanted way too much money for junk. While it initially looked like Co-Part or whatever was too much money and a gamble, we may be taking another look into it.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The black car looks amazing with the desert backdrop 🤩

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

Thanks Salty!

Oh and Dashub is a major rip. Went to make a bid of $500 on a '96 F150. Dash hub fee of $499.00+Auction fee of $1,658.00 for a whopping total of $2,242.00 in just fees. When you factor in the vehicle has a reserve or must be approved by the seller and you have to have it shipped, it's a joke. I think we'll be headed south this weekend though

Comment

Jeez, I haven't posted anything about this car since 2018. A lot has happened since then, but let's take a look at the plugs I changed out this past Saturday:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20240504_162327.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.70 MB ID:	1396982
            I THINK I got the car back in 2015 with ~86k on it. The plugs and all that associated jazz were done right around that point and not by me. So they've got about 9 years and 50k miles on 'em. Autolite platinums. The wire routing was horrible too, cleaned all that up & made it about as factree as possible. "If you want something done right..." All Motorcraft stuff except for the NGK copper V-Power plugs, as I've had great experience with them in my truck. Guess I can't be too upset about the previous job, considering these aren't supposed to like platinum and the factory interval is 30k(?) miles. How about those plugs?? 4 & 8 have the typical oil fouling going on, that's probably accounted for the (slightly) rough idle when warm- idles silky smooth now. Haven't driven it other than to pull it back in the garage, but it's now ready to take the family on a road trip to South Carolina here soon. Here's hoping the engine isn't going to foul 4 & 8 every 500 miles or so from here on out. You can't see it in the photo, but 8 actually had some build-up on the electrode...

Anyway, the job wasn't that bad, I'd say it's easier to do plugs on these than it is on the trucks. Worst plug for me was #1. The damn A/C compressor bracket is in the way, didn't have a 3/8th swivel socket so I cobbled something together with adaptors and crap to get the 1/2" stuff I've got to work. Snapped the new plug trying to put it in. Great. Angela was a trooper as she dealt with assholes at the parts store who tried to tell her an iridium plug is just as good as a copper one, no, it's better! and then went all the way to Detroit to get me a replacement NGK copper. Meanwhile, I put our daughter to work on the driver's side with all the easy plugs. She only ended up removing three of them, but that's a start and more than I did with cars when I was her age.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 05-06-2024, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Parts store people can be annoying. Hate to pull out the stereotype of the woman buying parts but frankly that seems to happen quite a lot.

To be fair I've seen where people have sent their lady off to the parts store for something without enough info to get it. Trying to buy something for a honda? honday? hyundai? no its actually a Nissan once dude finally picks up the phone.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, they can be. Especially when they won't listen to said woman as she hands them a box with the correct part number on it.

However, I am guilty of sending my lady up to the stores on my behalf many times. It's when crap like this happens, which seems to happen to me any time I pull my tools out. I'd go, but am usually filthy and the clothes I'm wearing are equally so as that's why I wear 'em. I figure that we're multitasking. I'm still making progress while she is taking the time I'd not be making progress and doing me/us a solid. Wrapped up just in time to bust the grill out and make burgs for her parents when they came over. I hate double-booking.

Comment

I do the box with part number thing for the boat. They seem incapable of looking up anything so I go in with an old spark plug, the last water pump kit, and the empty oil jug.

Comment

Yep. And to think when I was a teenager I thought it couldn't get any worse. Some days it really does feel like that movie, "Idiocracy." Actually, just yesterday I was in a large group meeting. I proposed an alternative method for how we've been doing things. I didn't say we should stop doing the thing, but that's how three people (The only people who replied) interpreted what I said. I wanted to deck all three of 'em, but I kept, "No! You dumb fucks, that's not even remotely what I said. If you weren't listening, why are you responding?" to myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X