No announcement yet.

Derek's 1988 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember you said you bought it new! Friggin' tripminder too! Only thing your car doesn't seem to have is the tow package and the turbine wheels. Did the trans go due to that bushing taking a crap? Seems every 5.0 has had their valvecover gaskets done or need to be. I love your car, if you want to sell it...
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I put the Tripminder in later. It came with the regular digital clock. No tow package for me and I actually ordered the turbines but the factory was temporary out of them so they asked if I would like the wires instead. Yes, I did the trany after the plastic grommet broke. Here are some engine shots (they are not good ones but at least they give you an idea):

Click image for larger version

Name:	87GMuh1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1277521Click image for larger version

Name:	87GMuh2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1277522Click image for larger version

Name:	87GMuh3.jpg
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1277523Click image for larger version

Name:	87GMuh4.jpg
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1277524Click image for larger version

Name:	87GMuh5.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1277525

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        Soon enough the car will have working A/C! Perhaps I should have the windows tinted in the back to complete the limo feel for ya? ... All of the aftermarket tint I've ever seen always delaminates or has bubbles in it over time. My dad has a '98 Z28 with the black top & mirrors and he did either 5 or 0% tint and it looked great but what did the tint start to do? Peel... Stuff Ford did to the LTC's is in the glass IIRC.
        +1 properly tinted windows last for AGES. My mom's V70 XC came with tinted rear windows new, and it's held up almost perfectly. Hasn't delaminated or bubbled anywhere. Only issue is a slight chip from when from a ski loading mishap way back when. Other than that, it's perfect. Definitely interested in seeing how yours turns out- you know how to do it right!
        '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
        '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
        '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Your car looks like new. You do a great job in maintaining it. I noticed the new hood pad. Where did you get it ?

Comment

Derek, Bob, both of you have gorgeous cars! I've never had the patience to keep up something pretty but I'm taking baby steps now that I have the '90. It's pretty clean unless you look real close, but one hell of a lot cleaner than the '98 beater I've been driving. Derek, do please cut some off of that shitty-looking exhaust pipe though. Sticking down all weird it just ruins the pretty lines of that car. Finally found the right shop so hopefully i'll be dropping off Vicky to get the exhaust done this week. Plan to keep the tailpipes tucked up with turndowns that will not be visible, or only just. Seriously though, I applaud those with super-clean cars, i'll likely never be one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
              Your car looks like new. You do a great job in maintaining it. I noticed the new hood pad. Where did you get it ?
              Hi Tom,

If you are talking to me, there is/was a guy on EBAY selling them. Somewhere around $50. I may be able to dig up the info if you need it!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                Derek, Bob, both of you have gorgeous cars! I've never had the patience to keep up something pretty but I'm taking baby steps now that I have the '90. It's pretty clean unless you look real close, but one hell of a lot cleaner than the '98 beater I've been driving. Derek, do please cut some off of that shitty-looking exhaust pipe though. Sticking down all weird it just ruins the pretty lines of that car. Finally found the right shop so hopefully i'll be dropping off Vicky to get the exhaust done this week. Plan to keep the tailpipes tucked up with turndowns that will not be visible, or only just. Seriously though, I applaud those with super-clean cars, i'll likely never be one.
                Thanks!! My car could be A LOT cleaner but health issues prevent it. Tough keeping a DD clean (yes, even in Florida with the rains and hot weather) but I try. Dave does a great job up in NY as many other folks do on this site. Do the best you can and don't sweat it. As long as you're happy that's all you need!!

Comment

Yes Bobby, please did up the info on the hood pad when you get a chance. I know you are not feeling well so no rush.

Comment

Yes Bobby, please did up the info on the hood pad when you get a chance. I know you are not feeling well so no rush.
                    Hi Tom,

I got it on EBAY. The User Name = JACKJILLI from Annville, PA. The name of his company is "Class-Tech-Cars". Not sure what car you are seeking it for or I would have posted a link. A search there for "Hood Insulation Pad" along with the year and make/model of car should point you right to it. Hope this helps!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
                      +1 properly tinted windows last for AGES. My mom's V70 XC came with tinted rear windows new, and it's held up almost perfectly. Hasn't delaminated or bubbled anywhere. Only issue is a slight chip from when from a ski loading mishap way back when. Other than that, it's perfect. Definitely interested in seeing how yours turns out- you know how to do it right!
                      Thanks man, I'm lining things up so as soon as I figure them out I'll make it happen. Luckily the TC's came with SOME tint for the rear windows so this one is probably last on the car's list. That ugly tail pipe, radio & A/C are in my sights right now...

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post

Thanks Mr. Head! That ugly pipe's days are numbered. I was originally looking into 2.5" stainless duals but think I'll just have to settle with 2.25" aluminized and hit 'em with VHT, I think you suggested that stuff... Luckily this car came to me this clean but I'm stressing about it since I don't have garage space for it and hate to see it baking in the sun & getting bird crap on it.. I miss my '85 LTD CV right about now, even with it's CFI funkiness lol.

Comment

I totally hear you on that one. My '98 was ugly from the get-go so I've never really cared if it sits out, but now that I have the '90 I might actually buy a car cover for it since I have no "inside" to park it, and the California sun(350 days a fucking year) will murder this poor thing.

Far as your exhaust goes, 2.25" should be plenty, that's what I'm running on the '98 and it sounds pretty good. I'm going 2.5" on the '90 because I already have most of the stuff and I like mustang parts since they're all flanged and kinda modular. I tend to change mufflers a lot so I might even flange that stuff. Hopefully my 02 extenders get here today and I can drop the car off at the shop after work. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                          Luckily this car came to me this clean but I'm stressing about it since I don't have garage space for it and hate to see it baking in the sun & getting bird crap on it.. I miss my '85 LTD CV right about now, even with it's CFI funkiness lol.
                          The only thing I miss about it was the appearance. Such a headache that car was. Just think about the a/c man! Lol.
                          1989 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

California car cover company should make you up a nice custom job. That or the eBay specials for like 50 bucks. Got one of those for the Plymouth two years ago and its dead now. Might be worth investing in one from CCC.

Comment

From experience, if you are going to use a car cover outside where it is visible to others, do the following.
                              Get a coated cable with a lock. It will not stop anyone, just slow them down a little. Stencil your license plate number on the cover. Expect it to be sliced and diced along with your paint. Sorry, you live in Ca.

Comment

Oh I do indeed. People around here are fucking scumbags, although they tend to focus their assault on my '98 since it still looks like a cop car. Strangely, the '90 with fancy wheels on it is left alone. I know why; they're only 17's. If I had the 24's on the shizzle, it'd be stolen in a hot hurry, uh, dawg? Seriously though, the cop car has been molested several times and the LTD seems to be pretty much ignored. Even though I'm like the only person in the neighborhood that works, most of the turds around here have newer/nicer cars than me, so it's not that much of a worry. Always worried somebody would steal my stereo but apparently EBT pays for that shit nowadays. Not sure how familiar y'all are with the term, but EBT is like the welfare debit card here. Took me a few years but I finally figured out an appropriate acronym for it.
                                Eating Bullocks' Taxes(Bullock is my last name, no, not related to Sandra, I work for a living and don't suck). Seriously though, what kind of people go out of their way to F with a cop car? The worst kind, that's what. California people actually make me look forward to a zombie apocalypse, just so I'd have a good reason to shoot a bunch of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X