No announcement yet.

tranny pans? Where do ya'll get them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have drain plugs in both of mine. The Towncar was installed with the nylon washers, and Ivan decided they needed to be copper to prevent leaks. It didn't leak with the nylon, and still doesn't with the copper. I brazed the plug into the Mark VII's drain pan. No chance of that leaking as long as you get your fill rod to lay properly.

I think I did screw up on the Mark VII though. The drain plug is at the front corner, not the back so it doesn't quite drain entirely. The plugs are raised a bit anyway, so there is always about 1/4" of fluid in the pan. Still makes it worlds less shitty to do a trans service than dealing with a full pan.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I see there's a Dorman kit that doesn't require welding, but people have had problems with them:

http://www.amazon.ca/Dorman-HELP-651.../dp/B000CO96EK

Personally, I would only trust one that's welded in. I'm cheap though, so I'll just stick with my "hose down the fill tube" method. I'll make a point of taking photos of my hand pump setup and the guts of the tranny filter when I do my J-mod.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

thats basically the one I have in both of mine. its sold under a couple names. One is just tightened in, the other I brazed. No issues with either thus far.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I would guess one source of other people's problems is not using two wrenches when tightening/loosening the plug.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I did see the one hole difference yesterday when I got my new pan, it's the B&M and the different holes are like 1/2" apart. I think the extra fluid and new cooler will keep the stock trans alive while I source a built one this summer.
            1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Dorman makes a replacement pan for the AODE/4R70W transmission that has a drain plug built in. Again, you will need to re-drill one bolt hold to make it work.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-7388...Pan&origin=YMM
              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

I got my aluminum AOD pan from here --

http://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_9685.php

Comment

Working...
                X