Is This a Real Motorcraft IAC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is This a Real Motorcraft IAC?

We bought this IAC valve off eBay. It came in a Motorcraft box but unlike the one on the car, it does not say Motorcraft on it at all. Is this a real Motorcraft part or were we just swindled? Before we bitch at the guy, we want to know for sure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150430_192942538_HDR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1302941
    1989 Lincoln Town Car

On the opposite end from the connector should be the Ford Part number stamped on it (the left part of your photo - looking directly at the end). If the part number is not on there I would say you have an issue!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

We did some research and it appears that it is indeed the Motorcraft part but why does it look different than the one on the car that says Motorcraft in the casting?
      1989 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Could be a different manufacturing procedure but does it have the Ford number stamped on the end????

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

The angled plug says its for an HO engine. Same part, but they angled the plug on the motors that face the other way round. You'll probably need to plug it in before bolting it on, but it should work just dandy otherwise.

Any casting differences may just be a revision, or possibly the original equipment ones got a slightly different casting than the replacement parts. They do that with numbering sometimes. There is a Ford factory engineering number, and then the Motorcraft replacement part number. The spark plugs do that at least. ASWF42C is the factory number, and the replacement number is some number I can't recall.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            The angled plug says its for an HO engine. Same part, but they angled the plug on the motors that face the other way round. You'll probably need to plug it in before bolting it on, but it should work just dandy otherwise.

Any casting differences may just be a revision, or possibly the original equipment ones got a slightly different casting than the replacement parts. They do that with numbering sometimes. There is a Ford factory engineering number, and then the Motorcraft replacement part number. The spark plugs do that at least. ASWF42C is the factory number, and the replacement number is some number I can't recall.
            I was trying to find a coolant temp sensor a few months ago, and when I though the Ford dealer parts guy had picked out the right one, I asked him what part numbers it superceded/interchanged with. He said there was at least 2 dozen of listed.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
              Could be a different manufacturing procedure but does it have the Ford number stamped on the end????
              After some digging, it seemed that it was indeed the Ford number stamped on it. Just threw us off because it didn't have the Motorcraft on it as the current one does. Thanks Bob!
              1989 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

Thanks for the special info about plugging it in before we bolt it on. I'm not sure when we're thinking about installing it, potentially this weekend.
                1989 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Originally posted by AshleyTheGreat View Post
                  After some digging, it seemed that it was indeed the Ford number stamped on it. Just threw us off because it didn't have the Motorcraft on it as the current one does. Thanks Bob!
                  Cool! Should not be an issue and at least you got what you paid for!!

Comment

Even the guys at Green Sales Company go crazy with all the FoMoCo endless number revisions!!

Comment

Wells makes a majority of manufacturer sensors, and a lot of sensors you buy now are updated from the original designs to accommodate for known failure points, hence why some tend to look different than the originals you remove.
                      1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                      1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                      1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Ah, the factory unit I pulled off my car was made by Hitachi and had the Ford logo on it, this unit just has a part number stamped in the circular lid thing. Seems to work like the old one did if not better, since the car isn't stalling while learning it's settings and stuff. We'll see.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Thats what she said last night!!!
                          Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                          Cool! Should not be an issue and at least you got what you paid for!!

Comment

Car still does the surgie surge when coming down from high idle after you start it. I think I'll just run this one and keep my original minty motorcraft unit for future stuff.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Lesson learned on the aftermarket shit. Check for vacuum leaks Derek. I put on a new IAC but it was a random brand and caused me constant high-idle. The surge remained when cold and then I found it spraying TB cleaner all over. Had a busted vacuum hose and once that was sorted, I had no more surge. The high idle remained so I stuck my original IAC back on and the idle dropped to normal. Go figure.

On cold start, my car idles up 2-3 times, vrrrroooom, vrrroooom, vrrrrooom, then drops into a steady, low, normal idle. No surge when put into gear like before, no roughness to speak of, she's just happy. Seriously check for vacuum leaks, thoroughly.

Comment

Working...
                              X