Random air suspension light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
    According to strutmasters there is no wire to disable the light on '98 and newer town cars. It is controlled by the ecm, and short of having it reprogrammed there is nothing you can do. I'll just live with the light.
    If that is true, then you are stuck with it. I am so used to the "older" cars that I am spoiled into a quick "fix"!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Yeah my ride is older as well lol.

Sent while thinking of new mods for my 96 TC, using Tapatalk.

Comment

The light typically comes on when the compressor runs for too long. My guess is that the compressor is actually turning on, but since there is nothing for it to do, it just runs until it times out and sets the error light.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Turn the trunk switch to off as many have mentioned here to keep the compressor from running. If you ever get the chance cover the end of the solenoids to keep dirt out. It probably requires two air springs an a set of clips to restore it.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Switch is off now, been off since I discovered what was going on yesterday, depending on where I look at replacement air springs some places show them requiring clips (which are not included) and some show them not requiring clips. Theres also clips that go on the solenoids to keep them from coming out of the air springs. If I can hunt down the clips I'll probably pick up a couple air spring in the next few weeks and put them in. Of course part of me still doesn't feel like screwing with it, not really sure what I'm going to do.
            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Maybe you may wish to live with the coil springs, a little longer, to see how you feel about them. Unless you REALLY want the original setup - why bother adding complexity??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                why bother adding complexity??
                Because having the coil springs make me feel like it's a cobbled up hack job and it is, and I don't like cobbled up hack jobs, I like everything to be all original.
                2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

Comment

Were the coils not installed well or just not the way it came from the factory that is the issue?

Comment

Something to think about is whether they put in shocks that are matched to the coil springs and whether those shocks would be suitable for the air springs. Also, you might want to consider an o-ring kit for the solenoids. If the rubber in the original air springs went bad, the o-rings might be in similar condition.

Here's a link with a simple diagram and some other good info in the rest of the thread:

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...12#Post2132212

More info here:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...from-coming-on
                    Last edited by IPreferDIY; 05-07-2015, 09:12 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                      Were the coils not installed well or just not the way it came from the factory that is the issue?
                      Just something about not being factory that bothers me. It rides and handles just fine, great actually just something about it bugs me. But I'm also a very indecisive person so theres as good a chance of it getting converted back as there is it not. I'm leaning more towards not and trying to get myself to forget about it now.
                      Last edited by mercurygm88; 05-08-2015, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                        Something to think about is whether they put in shocks that are matched to the coil springs and whether those shocks would be suitable for the air springs. Also, you might want to consider an o-ring kit for the solenoids. If the rubber in the original air springs went bad, the o-rings might be in similar condition.

Here's a link with a simple diagram and some other good info in the rest of the thread:

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...12#Post2132212

More info here:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...from-coming-on
                        I'm pretty sure they didn't even change the shocks and I'm gonna go ahead and replace the solenoids when I do this. Who knows whats happened to them from just hanging there for who knows how long. Nice thing is the car spent it's entire life in Florida until 3 months ago so everything underneath is rust free and like new, which is nice if I do end up having to replace the shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                          Just something about not being factory that bothers me. It rides and handles just fine, great actually just something about it bugs me. But I'm also a very indecisive person so theres as good a chance of it getting converted back as there is it not. I'm leaning more towards not and trying to get myself to forget about it now.
                          I know how you feel. I am not "indecisive" but tend to like things factory and working!!

Comment

I realized there's a way to keep the light from coming on, but it's probably not very practical or realistic. If you disconnect the height sensor from the Watts link and find a way to keep it set at the right length, that should do it. But, keeping it at the right length would probably not be easy, and who knows what might happen to the sensor over time with one end disconnected. Just a thought.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Working...
                            X