Wipers don't park all the way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wipers don't park all the way.

My '88 Town Car's wipers don't park all the way when turned off. After trying a search I think the fix is a new wiper motor?? Or is there some module under the dash that can be replaced?
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

the failure is internal to the wiper motor. If it stops but doesn't park... there's a relay inside the motor that's failed. This relay swaps the + and - to the motor to spin it backwards at the right time to park the wipers. So short of rebuilding the motor yourself... yeah, time to replace it and keep the old one on hand just in case if you're anything like me. I still have the original starter from my 93. It just needs a new solenoid on it since the thermal lockout in the solenoid is shot.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Say you flip the switch to the off position.. If the wipers are in the middle of a cycle they will complete it and then go to the rest position and begin the parking process but they only go about halfway into the cowl. If you turn them off when they're already at rest, same thing. I end up having to push them down into their fully parked position. Is that the same thing as what you mentioned? I read your post in another person's thread and you mentioned the motor but I could've sworn there was another post where someone mentioned a relay under the dash, behind the ash tray somewhere. It's quite possible that I'm having hallucinations.. I keep all old stuff, as long as it can possibly be fixed or swapped back in as a check lol. My garage is starting to look like a parts store with all of the crap hanging off the walls and sitting on the shelfs. Got a whole grille assembly from an 85 TC in there now plus misc trim now. I think early stages of hoarder are taking root.

Comment

Does the wiper switch buzz when the wipers turn off?

Comment

Nope, wipers don't make any noise in operation either. Ashley's wipers in her 89 work like mine except hers park all the way.

Comment

Wouldn't hurt to take the motor off and apart to see if all the gears and stuff are moving freely and are well lubricated. Could be a cheap fix there. I remember there being lots of grease in those things...
            Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
            Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the advice fellas, I'll give the motor swap a try. While I'm there, there is no module, right? Not that they're related at all but I had a friend with a Ranger ('93) whose wipers would only work on one of the static speeds, low or hi and when turned off they'd just stop wherever they were on the windshield. I fixed that by swapping out some module under the dashboard.

Comment

Module is only for the intermittent function and that should be under the dash.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Word. Thing I learned today! Can I go home now? I'm done with the work day already.

Comment

When I had my '99 GM the wipers stopped parking. Fix was a new motor. Mechanic went through FOUR of them, two used and a dud new before he got one that worked.
                    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

That sounds promising, I think I'll deal with it until it quits. No one else has noticed and I doubt anyone would but I notice the small stuff. Doesn't look like a hard job at all though so after I put the amp, sub, and speakers in, fix the A/C and the rear window I'll see if its worth Tue trouble.

Comment

Switch wiper motors with Ashley when she's not looking. hehehe I know I'm evil.
                        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the hardest part is getting the wiper linkage off the motor. The rest is cake.

Comment

Linkage is not so bad once you can get to the clip. You can spin the motor backwards by hand to get to it. The crank arm has a one way clutch that will let Go if you ask nice.

posting from mah phone. plz to be forgiving bad speeling.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

Oh and since I can't edit. The clip has a part that hooks over the post. Lift it slightly and slide the clip over to get it off. Do not just pry it off

posting from mah phone. plz to be forgiving bad speeling.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

Working...
                              X