No announcement yet.

Wipers don't park all the way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have the same issue on my gf's 88 Marq. if you wiggle the wiper switch on ours it parks properly
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Maybe a short in the switch cuts off power before it completely parks??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I have the same problem. A slight nudge with my finger will get them to park, but they don't completely park on their own. The intermittent switch keeps them paused about 1/4 way up the windshield inbetween wipes. I figured a new motor would solve it, but it's not a huge issue yet.

The massively oversized blades I use probably don't help. I know I've had to bend the arms a few times because the blades made them arch backward and start rubbing on the inside of the hood. A minor inconvenience to be able to actually freakin see in the rain. The stock wipers are SO TINY.

I hope it solves your problem, I'll be checking up on this thread to see what happens.
        Last edited by ootdega; 05-11-2015, 01:54 AM.
        89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
          Switch wiper motors with Ashley when she's not looking. hehehe I know I'm evil.
          Heh, when I was stumped trying to figure out why her car ran like dog doo (I jumped timing by a tooth on the dizzy) I noticed her battery hold down bracket was nicer than mine. Suddenly if you check hers now it's not so nice any more...

Originally posted by sly View Post
          the hardest part is getting the wiper linkage off the motor. The rest is cake.
          Great, I think the motor can just be stubborn all it wants until it retires lol.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Oh and since I can't edit. The clip has a part that hooks over the post. Lift it slightly and slide the clip over to get it off. Do not just pry it off

posting from mah phone. plz to be forgiving bad speeling.
          Maybe it's not so bad??

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
          Maybe a short in the switch cuts off power before it completely parks??
          Originally posted by ootdega View Post
          I have the same problem. A slight nudge with my finger will get them to park, but they don't completely park on their own. The intermittent switch keeps them paused about 1/4 way up the windshield inbetween wipes. I figured a new motor would solve it, but it's not a huge issue yet.

The massively oversized blades I use probably don't help. I know I've had to bend the arms a few times because the blades made them arch backward and start rubbing on the inside of the hood. A minor inconvenience to be able to actually freakin see in the rain. The stock wipers are SO TINY.

I hope it solves your problem, I'll be checking up on this thread to see what happens.
          The shop I go to had my car over three weeks and I just got it back. A/C is nice and cold now and the window works now so I'm happy about that. Wipers still annoy me but the bat like sound from the fan clutch bothers me more so I'll be ordering a Motorcraft replacement along with new belts. Then it's off to buying radio goodies, stock stuff has to go!
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

it's not so hard to get the clip off... but it's the hardest part.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'll give it a whirl! After buying that GMC C3500 the 'fun' part about trying to work on that has been learning how GMC did things and comparing it to Ford. GM makes a tidy engine bay compared to Ford trucks but good god, they do some dumb stuff with interior trim. They didn't make a cluster for that year with a tach and theres these stupid 'C' type clips that hold the window cranks on which had me stumped for a minute but if you have a special trim puller you can slide that in place, whap it with a hammer and pow, clips are gone. Don't even ask Ashley about the clips that hold the vents in for the center of the dash. Lets put it this way, swapping in a radio will take longer than expected lol.

Comment

DerekTheGreat;Heh, when I was stumped trying to figure out why her car ran like dog doo (I jumped timing by a tooth on the dizzy) I noticed her battery hold down bracket was nicer than mine. Suddenly if you check hers now it's not so nice any more...

Lesson learned. I won't let you within 10 feet of my car when I'm not there to supervise your horrible shenanigans. What else have you taken, ya bastard?
                1989 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Comment

For anyone who might wanna know, I put some Trico Force wipers on my car about a week ago and the wiper motor likes them a lot better. Still needs replaced, but that will help.
                    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Certain wiper blades make the difference like OOT said. The worthless turds that were on my car when I got it worked fine, except for totally blurring the windshield with use. I put fancy bosch ones on there but the driver's side one hits the hood a little and doesn't like to park sometimes. I'll customize it one of these days but let's face it, it never fucking rains here...

Comment

How did you even end up in California? LoL, it's only obvious how much you love the place. When I bought the car I think the old man last replaced the wipers in the 90's. I used to use the Bosch stuff but decided to try RainX and those wipe cleaner and are lasting longer. Wipers still park in the same spot but with all we've got going on I haven't fiddled with it yet, haven't forgotten about it though. We've swapped the wiper motor out on the GMC twice so this Ford should be a breeze when we do go to do it.

Comment

Working...
                        X