This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end suspension torque specs

Long story short, I got the wrong service manual for my TC, (97), so I would like to know where I can find the troque specs for the front end suspension (upper/lower control arms, tie rod ends, stabilizer links, ball joint studs, shocks). Any info would be greatly appreciated
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Are you looking for specs for a 97 Tc? or the 89? You got the 97 book by mistake instead of the 89 or?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

No, I ordered a service manual for the 1997 TC, but I got a 97 CONTINENTAL, (the order was mixed up), so I need the data for a 1997 in the mean time till I order the right manual (well hopefully they get it right next time)
      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

This is all off the top of my head:
        ball joint nuts - 100-120 ft-lbs
        control arm nuts at the bushings - 100-120
        alignment bolts (hold the upper control arm rod to the frame) - 80 but I always use breaker bar tight - around 120 or so, but then my 88 has all the rough patch for the bolts to tack to kinda flattened.
        all the castle nuts so far that I've done were specced to 100
        sway bar links: locknuts (pinch or nylock) and should be obvious as the bushings squish down. Once they are compressed to the bar or control arm give another turn or so and you're done. They won't really torque down until you run out of threads or squish the hell out of the bushings.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

good n tight, approximately 1/2 turn before it breaks.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Pinned - because it should be, and I don't want to have to keep searching for it every time

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
            '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
            '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

wow... was I right with all those numbers? That's just what I guessed at because I always just use breaker bars to tighten that stuff (except ball joints/tie rod ends - I get the torque stick for that).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                wow... was I right with all those numbers? That's just what I guessed at because I always just use breaker bars to tighten that stuff (except ball joints/tie rod ends - I get the torque stick for that).
                I don't know, but that's what I used for the UCA to shaft nuts. If I had whale shop manuals I'd check; I've only got an '80 manuals disc

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Working...
                X