No announcement yet.

Making a box not handle like a box..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight is not a problem with aluminum heads, ac removal, and batt in the trunk... adding 2lbs of epoxy resin is negligible. I've got some west systems 105/206 left over from a kayak build. It's a liquid resin and should fill it fairly void free and provide enough torsional ductility to not fatigue. Once my car is on the road I will try it stock and filled.
    Last edited by JeffBoudah; 05-12-2015, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Is there any way you can squeeze that epoxy in there under low pressure? That would pretty much eliminate any voids especially if you stand the bar up and fill it from the bottom drain hole allowing air to exit out the top one.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
        I don't mean to sound like an asshole. But I don't think that would handle nearly close to what I want. My car already has more than that and isn't close to what I want. But.. I'm blaming it a lot on the 15" rims and tires I have. I'm looking for handling similar to a whale P71 with suspension mods.
        I'm just sayin.

You have to think of it as a whole system, not part-by-part. Adding a rear bar might induce understeer, if your springs are too stiff it can make it handle worse, if your shocks are a bad match for your springs they won't do much of anything, there are a ton of things to consider.

Start with the tires. No single purchase will do more for your handling.
        89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

A sway bar undergoes a torsional load. How does epoxy behave under elastic deformation in the torsional environment? If it is less stiff then the steel used in the sway bar, the added torsional rigidity is nil.

All of this presumes the epoxy actually bonds to the internal surface of the sway bar, and a "no slip" condition exists at that boundary. Otherwise the epoxy and the bar will "twist" seperately, resulting in absolutley no change in the behavior of the bar.

Regarding the rear shock question. When I had wagon coils in the rear of one of my sedans, I used 2WD '97 F150 rear shocks. They certainly have a higher damping rate. However, you want to heed what Dave mentioned. Wagon springs provided a higher ride height, which is why the longer truck shock would work. The rest height was directly between full compression and full extension. A lower ride height would require a shorter shock. That being said, I'm sure McGaughys or someone makes lowering shocks for those trucks. They have a ring mount on the bottom, and a bayonet at the top, which means they are bolt in.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

It will work or it wont, and it wont hinder performance if it doesn't.

Comment

If it doesn't work, it may introduce moisture traps and internal corrosion and later fatigue and reduce the effectiveness over time.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Based on my field experience, epoxy rarely bonds with an unprepped surface.
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  If it doesn't work, it may introduce moisture traps and internal corrosion and later fatigue and reduce the effectiveness over time.
                  Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                  Based on my field experience, epoxy rarely bonds with an unprepped surface.
                  Forget i even brought it up, all you guys seem to want to focus on are failure modes. My glass is half full, try it sometime.

Comment

http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/...anti_sways.htm
                    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

http://www.auto-ware.com/calcs/swaybar.htm
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
                        Forget i even brought it up, all you guys seem to want to focus on are failure modes. My glass is half full, try it sometime.
                        I'm not pissing in your cheerios (and I highly doubt Jason is either); I just don't want to see you waste your time and energy. I'm not just speaking in riddles out of an engineering text book; I work problems like these every day, and my designs and solutions are highly scrutinized. US air supremacy depends on it, . I'm asking you questions and offering advice that I think you should consider in order to decide if this is a good idea or not.

I personally have no idea how epoxy behaves under elastic deformation, but we can look that data up. I would venture it is more elastic than mild steel, which is where my conjecture that it wouldn't be beneficial came from. Maybe you will find otherwise. Maybe you have a feasible idea for prepping the inside of the sway bar, too. You never said.

If your glass is always half full, then why are you viewing my questions and concerns in a negative light? I'm just trying to be helpful.

Comment

Do these cars need stiffer front bars though? They still understeer a lot with a police rear bar, a stiffer front bar would make it worse

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I wouldn't bother filling one because I'm lazy, and I refuse to do work that has no benefit. Pumping epoxy in one wouldn't do much for you unless you wanted to make one a bit stronger to use as a recovery point.

Also, that glass half full stuff is bunk. The glass is twice as large as it needs to be.

They do indeed understeer a fair bit, but I expect that changing the front spring rate would help with that, especially if the ratio between front spring rate and rear rate changes. The stock is about 2.5:1, the common aftermarket setup is closer to 5:1.
                            Last edited by gadget73; 05-12-2015, 05:25 PM.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                              I'm not pissing in your cheerios (and I highly doubt Jason is either); I just don't want to see you waste your time and energy. I'm not just speaking in riddles out of an engineering text book; I work problems like these every day, and my designs and solutions are highly scrutinized. US air supremacy depends on it, . I'm asking you questions and offering advice that I think you should consider in order to decide if this is a good idea or not.

I personally have no idea how epoxy behaves under elastic deformation, but we can look that data up. I would venture it is more elastic than mild steel, which is where my conjecture that it wouldn't be beneficial came from. Maybe you will find otherwise. Maybe you have a feasible idea for prepping the inside of the sway bar, too. You never said.

If your glass is always half full, then why are you viewing my questions and concerns in a negative light? I'm just trying to be helpful.
                              Speak in all the engineering riddles you like, as i am one too. The bar has been powdercoated, so, run through an oven hot enough to burn off any contaminates inside. It's as prepped as one can get it. Regardless of it's modulus or % elongation, it would essentially act as a second internal bar, being stiffer than the air it replaced. Even if it were not mechanically adhered to the inside of bar itself, it would still stiffen since the epoxy plug would not just be a straight cylinder, it wraps around to the ends of the arm.

This is not as laborious of a task as you guys are making this out to be. Mix the epoxy, fill a large syringe, pump it in, repeat till full, plug it, let it cure. If there's no appreciable difference, so be it. I've wasted more time on much less productive things on this project...

Comment

The epoxy would crack once dry and twisted. Woldnt necessarily loose bond to the metal except in dirty areas.
                                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                                X