Making a box not handle like a box..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a box not handle like a box..

Well I'm completely dissatisfied with the ride on my box. It floats and bounces down the road as well has steady body roll that I can't stand. I'm aware it's got the stock balloon tires and that could be an obvious cause for the floatiness. The rims I was going to use that i bought, I probably won't use now. Since I'd need 1.5-2" spacers all around..

Complete current suspension specs.
    Front:
    925# Speedway coils.
    Gas Adjusts
    Stock swaybar, ES Bushings, ES Endlinks
    94' control arms and spindles.

Rear:
    Stock, worn out coils. (Yup these are the next purchase for suspension.)
    Gas adjusts
    PI swaybar.

Now I plan to buy 200lb rear coils from speedway, since I do not want a huge amount of rake. I was curious if there was any other, heavier alternatives that anyone has messed with; other than coil overs. I plan to box the rear control arms and use poly bushings as well. Figured I'd ask about coil alternatives before buying any.

What's the best shocks that I could upgrade to and in the future I'll probably buy 1100# front coils.
    I want it to be stiff. Throw it into a corner and be comfortable with it. Ride comfort isn't a focus, because: Racecar.

Oh, 18 and still in highschool. Need cheap alternatives.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Are you using the police spec front gas a justs? Those work very well on my box.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hell I just put gas-adjusts on my '90 and it made it a totally different car, even with stock everything else. Going to a larger wheel/lower-profile tire should help you, as well as maybe doing all new suspension bushings. Seems strange that with all you have done already it still handles like a pig. Hopefully getting my new wheels/tires today so I can get a good feel for how my beast is going to handle. Gonna be hard going from the 98 p71.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        Are you using the police spec front gas a justs? Those work very well on my box.
        I use police shocks all the way around. It makes the world of difference.

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
        George Burns

Comment

The PI front sway bar on my car killed almost all body roll. (Also have the rear PI sway bar like you do) I still had some roll when I had the stock sway bar up front and the PI in the rear.

I also have Moog HD coils, Gas-A-Justs all around and ES Poly bushings up front. My car's suspension is pretty hard. I think Sly worded it best as "feels like a truck".

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I think the 15" wheels, and the small sway bar are your biggest hurdle. The shocks may just be a bit over sprung on rebound if you dont have the PI gas-a-justs. Also, the rear of the car is still loosey goosey with I assume worn shocks and sponge springs.
            Last edited by JeffBoudah; 05-07-2015, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Get Addcos to make it handle and Bilstein HDs to make it not bounce but be prepared for a harsh ride and get 17"s or 18"s with good rubber.

Comment

I have the KYB monomax truck shocks on the rear of my box too... its' stiff for sure, but not harsh. I would need some good sway bars to keep the body roll down now, but it handles hella better now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

fOR FRONT SPRINGS look up free height of your springs also measure installed ht how much it compresses gives an idea of how much the front of your car weighs.
                  351 adds weight but removal of say AC and or aluminum intake might put it in the 302 SEFI range sefi set ups weigh more than carbed. Check installed ht of shocks. The narrower the side walls of the tires the rougher it rides. A stock 87ish weighs close to 2500 lbs front and around 1500 lbs rear.
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Change your body mounts. To poly
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                      I believe so, I ordered them a long time ago. I also never experienced the car without new shocks, seeing as that was the first thing I did, even before pulling the 302 and whatnot. I hate the ride, quite a bit.

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                      Get Addcos to make it handle and Bilstein HDs to make it not bounce but be prepared for a harsh ride and get 17"s or 18"s with good rubber.
                      I'm looking into getting Bilsteins.. Eh maybe I'll just save some time and put it on an 02 chassis.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      Change your body mounts. To poly
                      Yeah... Yeah...... I just spent all winter working on it, I want some driver time. Shocks/Swaybars are easy to change. I mean, I've gotten pretty good at pulling the drivetrain too.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                      The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                      It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

get rid of the 15" tires

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Tires that don't suck will do amazing things for you. I've driven cars with those 925# springs and decent tires and they are not what I'd call "floaty". You may need stiffer shocks too, possible the gas-a-justs are bit under-damped. I'd start with the tires tho. Even just changing those on cars with stock springs does a lot for how they drive.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            I've driven cars with those 925# springs and decent tires and they are not what I'd call "floaty".
                            Ya, 925/200 combo with good shocks is the exact opposite of floaty.

Body mounts also will make a huge difference.

But none of that matters if your riding on stock worn out rear components and 15's. That's a horribly mismatched combo.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

17-18's and good high-performance tires will help. The difference in sidewall stiffness between a comfort tire (Michelin Premier, BFG Advantage T/A, etc.) and something serious like BFG G-Force Sport Comp's, Dunlop Direzza, Michelin Pilot Super Sport, etc. is night and day. And while there's a lot of balancing and tuning involved in making stiffer shocks and springs result in better actual grip/max turning speeds, good tires will do that every damned time.

Related topic, what tire pressure are you running it at? With stock sized 'comfort' tires, I usually ran 40-42PSI cold inflation, with 2-4 PSI more in the front than rear to curb understeer and keep from burning up the shoulders/edges. If you're following the door card recommendation, that's likely too low for modern tires being driven in anger.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                              X