2000 G Marquis / Smoke and burning smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 G Marquis / Smoke and burning smell

I have a 2000 Grand Marquis and noticed smoke and burning smell coming from the ac vent. AC is still working ok at this point,car is not overheating. Any ideas ?

If it smells like oil, check the valve covers for leaks. If it smells electrical, you may have a wiring issue somewhere. Check the function of everything to see of maybe something isn't working like the clock or cig lighter or anything else.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If not those issues, could be the heater core spewing clouds of coolant vapor. The smell usually isn't described as a burning smell, and I wouldn't expect a coolant cloud to get through the vent when the A/C is on, but it's something to consider. Check your coolant level to see if it's going down.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Thanks for your replies, I drove it after my wife told me it was smoking I only got a wisp of smoke and a faint odor, not enough to tell. Either something burnt out under the dash or it might be the heater core , I thought of that too. I will turn on the heater and let it idle to see what happens . If not the heater coil, it must be electrical which would mean something shouldn't be working. I'll let you know what I find,may be helpful to someone else .

Comment

Yep, drove it a second time and it became more apparent ... heater core leak... got a by-pass tube a napa,the 90 degree one,the straight one will kink you hoses. This will give me time to repair it at my convenience, won't need it until winter.

Comment

That was the approach I took with mine. By the time the fall rolled around, the rad developed a leak.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Working...
            X