1988 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
    As of now, the fuel economy is worse than before, but only because I've been driving it like I stole it because it's so much fun now lol. I need to fill and run sensibly and work out the numbers once the novelty of having something more ballsy wears off.
    I convinced a kid a while back that headers are a good thing. So he went and installed a set on his Buick Skylark. Came back to me after doing that claiming that the car was fun; but why his gas mileage sucked after the install? I asked him how many burnouts he did that day? He said 2 at the toll booths that morning coming into work. I told him that was his answer. LOL

Comment

The lousy low RPM torque of an HO with a 3.08 in a 2 ton boat makes for unimpressive performance. Gearing is a huge benefit for these. Makes the engine run in a useful power band. The stock motor is nothing but low rpm torque, so those tall gears make sense.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

[QUOTE=gadget73;854698]The lousy low RPM torque of an HO with a 3.08 in a 2 ton boat makes for unimpressive performance. Gearing is a huge benefit for these. Makes the engine run in a useful power band. The stock motor is nothing but low rpm torque, so those tall gears make sense.

So I've addressed that issue recently...I got a low-mile 3.55 Traction-Lok diff unit (read K-code) from a local Mustang guy who had changed it out in favour of a 4.10 31-spline unit for drag racing. That seems to really have woken the car up, especially at lower speeds and it can do a burnout now! Plus the 3.55s are tall enough that highway performance has too improved (stays in OD longer at 70 mph, acceleration for passing is "night-and-day" compared to what it was with the 3.08s) and best of all it's actually better on gas than it was. 12.5 L/100 km (16.8 mpg) vs 14 L/100 km (18.8 mpg). Better than it was with the lopo 5.0. It's damn quick getting from 100 km/h to 180 km/h now (60 mph to 110 mph) and feels like there's still more in it.

Very happy with the setup now and how it runs.

After 15 years, I finally have the Town Car I wanted lol
        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Woot woot!
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
          X