No announcement yet.

1988 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to go off topic but try and further uncover why some cars are turds......I also have a 2200 or 2400 stall converter in my car. I dont know if that has anything to do with the car being so sluggish from a stop or not. Just throwing more info out and maybe something sticks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipSM56DqXsM

Some pull for reference.
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 04-20-2017, 07:00 PM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'm going to fix the noisy valvetrain problem first before I go at anything else there. The TV cable seems like it's way off (too soft) now, and though I have the timing roughed in, it needs to be brought up to operating temperature and fine tuned, idle speed set, etc. It's not likely going to happen for a few days as I got a ton of other crap to do around the house. You know, stuff that got neglected while I was trying to get it put back together and running.
      The stock HO cam is going to have to live there for this year at least. The car budget for this year has already been blown.
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm certainly not sure where to go with my Townie. I have an HO that's viable but is it really worth it to yank out a perfectly fine engine for it? Or should I just complete the HO upper swap? Still need a damn EGR spacer for that though. There's one at a yard but I've got too much going on this weekend to get out there to pull it.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
          I'm certainly not sure where to go with my Townie. I have an HO that's viable but is it really worth it to yank out a perfectly fine engine for it? Or should I just complete the HO upper swap? Still need a damn EGR spacer for that though. There's one at a yard but I've got too much going on this weekend to get out there to pull it.
          If my engine was still good, I definitely would have done the HO conversion to it, rather than build a new engine like I did. Your old engine would need to be torn down pretty good in order to do a full-on HO conversion, but I'd rather do that than pull/set an engine back in. I only did what I did because my old engine was very tired, consuming oil at a significant rate, gutless, complete with ear-splitting rod knock. I got a low mileage (yet poorly maintained) 93 truck engine for free and used that as my starting point for the HO conversion.
          As for the EGR spacer, I got my stock lopo one bored out to 58 mm to match the upper intake and TB. That being said, I'm running an "86 5.0 Mustang" setup at 58 mm, not the 87+ that most HO conversions use. That'll happen later, I just used what was available to me at the time.
          Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
          Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've got an HO engine, still in the donor car but donor car could be put back on the road reliably so not sure if I should just do that or yank engine and scrap it (1991 Mark VII Bill Blass). It has 151k, my car has ~114k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              Not to go off topic but try and further uncover why some cars are turds......I also have a 2200 or 2400 stall converter in my car. I dont know if that has anything to do with the car being so sluggish from a stop or not. Just throwing more info out and maybe something sticks.
              Higher stall would actually make it better from stop with a cam that has weak bottom end. The idea is that the engine can run up to a higher rpm and theoretically be at a speed where it makes more power on launch. Ideally you want to have the converter stall at a high enough point that the motor is actually making power though, otherwise it won't do much for you.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

I've got an HO engine, still in the donor car but donor car could be put back on the road reliably so not sure if I should just do that or yank engine and scrap it (1991 Mark VII Bill Blass). It has 151k, my car has ~114k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                Not telling you what to do, but I'd leave the good roadworthy cars intact whenever possible. This is where rust actually serves a useful purpose...
                Maybe do the HO conversion on the Lincoln, put the lopo parts back in the Mark VII and sell it? Just a thought.

Comment

LH valve cover coming off tomorrow to see where the clacking is coming from.
                  Wish me luck.

Comment

Good luck.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
                      Not telling you what to do, but I'd leave the good roadworthy cars intact whenever possible. This is where rust actually serves a useful purpose...
                      Maybe do the HO conversion on the Lincoln, put the lopo parts back in the Mark VII and sell it? Just a thought.
                      That's what I was thinking. Although part of me would want to keep the original engine should I choose to put it back the way the factory had it. However, if I just went away for several days and say while I was gone Ashley had the LoPo swapped into the Mark VII and it's HO swapped into my car I wouldn't object. Sometimes I need to be forced off the fence in order for things like that to get done. As it is right now my mind is telling me to find a driver's side fender and put it back together yet it's been a month and I still don't have a fender for it.

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
                      LH valve cover coming off tomorrow to see where the clacking is coming from.
                      Wish me luck.
                      Well, what's the verdict??

Comment

That's what I was thinking. Although part of me would want to keep the original engine should I choose to put it back the way the factory had it. However, if I just went away for several days and say while I was gone Ashley had the LoPo swapped into the Mark VII and it's HO swapped into my car I wouldn't object. Sometimes I need to be forced off the fence in order for things like that to get done. As it is right now my mind is telling me to find a driver's side fender and put it back together yet it's been a month and I still don't have a fender for it.

Well, what's the verdict??
                        I just finished putting it all back together and test driving it a short while ago. Had to change two 'suspected' bad lifters and I had a couple pushrods in upside down. No serious damage to anything.
                        The valvetrain is still noisy, but drastically quieter than it was. The little remaining noise actually goes away off idle now. I'm hoping it will clear up as the engine breaks in and the lifters get all comfy back in their bores. If not, it'll get all new parts in the future.
                        I had it out for a better test drive tonight (hood reinstalled now-pure classy) and there's still some bugs to work out (idle speed, final timing set-up, TV adjustment, other little odds and ends). Seems to be a lot better behaved off-idle, but there's still a flat spot mid-accelerator. That will have to be investigated further in the near future. Generally speaking, the verdict is it's moving in the right direction, although definitely still not complete.
                        Oh, I can't forget this one: Yesterday I pulled the upper and lower intake to assess the lifters. Did the parts changing in the effort to quieten things down, got the lower intake all set in place and torqued down, had wires and stuff hooked back up. Then I found the lifter retainer that goes in the valley under the lower intake on the workbench.
                        I am getting sick of doing stuff over and over again on this engine project.

Comment

I hear that. Changed wires, cap & rotor on k1500 over the weekend. Guess it pissed the distributor off and it died. Replaced that with "Duralast Gold" from Korea or somewhere. Now I think that thing is no good so looks like I'll be doing that again too.

Comment

The pushrods are not direction dependant. Same roundy end on both ends.

Try unhooking the EgR valve to see if the dead spot changes. I had issues with mine, turns out the regulator wasn't regulating and popping the valve full open when it should not have been. A snort of WD40 in the reg fixed it, but unhooking the vacuum line is a quick test to see if its related.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              The pushrods are not direction dependant. Same roundy end on both ends.

Try unhooking the EgR valve to see if the dead spot changes. I had issues with mine, turns out the regulator wasn't regulating and popping the valve full open when it should not have been. A snort of WD40 in the reg fixed it, but unhooking the vacuum line is a quick test to see if its related.
                              I know they're not direction dependent (in theory) but the wear pattern on the used rods was quite different on the lifter vs rocker arm ends. Seems to be a lot quieter now since having them all in the same orientation and changing both # 8 lifters.

As for the EGR piece, that is eliminated. Vacuum line is plugged at the source on the back of the upper intake. Wiring is left unplugged. I do get the occasional pop when it's flattened out and struggling. Maybe the old lopo fuel pump isn't feeding enough fuel and it's starving. It does behave similar to when the Chinese fuel pump I had in there a couple years ago had the pickup tube fell off from the nipple on the pump hanger. I noticed the Mustang spec pump I have (Walbro 520) is quite small...I've seen the thread that uses a piece of rad hose to close the gap and make it work. I'm not fussy on putting non-gas treated rubber hose in the gas tank. What else is everyone doing to fit those pumps into the panther hangers?

Comment

I'd use a fuel filler neck hose.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X