PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 1988 Lincoln Town Car

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Not to go off topic but try and further uncover why some cars are turds......I also have a 2200 or 2400 stall converter in my car. I dont know if that has anything to do with the car being so sluggish from a stop or not. Just throwing more info out and maybe something sticks.
    Higher stall would actually make it better from stop with a cam that has weak bottom end. The idea is that the engine can run up to a higher rpm and theoretically be at a speed where it makes more power on launch. Ideally you want to have the converter stall at a high enough point that the motor is actually making power though, otherwise it won't do much for you.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    I've got an HO engine, still in the donor car but donor car could be put back on the road reliably so not sure if I should just do that or yank engine and scrap it (1991 Mark VII Bill Blass). It has 151k, my car has ~114k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Not telling you what to do, but I'd leave the good roadworthy cars intact whenever possible. This is where rust actually serves a useful purpose...
    Maybe do the HO conversion on the Lincoln, put the lopo parts back in the Mark VII and sell it? Just a thought.

Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 266,xxx km. Engine currently being built for installation this spring. Put to bed for the winter on 2016/11/12. Bought 2006/08/22.
    Winter vehicle-> 1996 Ford F-150 XL 4x4, red, 298,xxx+km. AKA "Dennis". All done and ready to run this winter, painted and all. Bought 2013/11/26.

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

LH valve cover coming off tomorrow to see where the clacking is coming from.
    Wish me luck.

Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 266,xxx km. Engine currently being built for installation this spring. Put to bed for the winter on 2016/11/12. Bought 2006/08/22.
    Winter vehicle-> 1996 Ford F-150 XL 4x4, red, 298,xxx+km. AKA "Dennis". All done and ready to run this winter, painted and all. Bought 2013/11/26.

Good luck.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM, 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by nfldfordltd View Post
    Not telling you what to do, but I'd leave the good roadworthy cars intact whenever possible. This is where rust actually serves a useful purpose...
    Maybe do the HO conversion on the Lincoln, put the lopo parts back in the Mark VII and sell it? Just a thought.
    That's what I was thinking. Although part of me would want to keep the original engine should I choose to put it back the way the factory had it. However, if I just went away for several days and say while I was gone Ashley had the LoPo swapped into the Mark VII and it's HO swapped into my car I wouldn't object. Sometimes I need to be forced off the fence in order for things like that to get done. As it is right now my mind is telling me to find a driver's side fender and put it back together yet it's been a month and I still don't have a fender for it.

Quote Originally Posted by nfldfordltd View Post
    LH valve cover coming off tomorrow to see where the clacking is coming from.
    Wish me luck.
    Well, what's the verdict??
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

That's what I was thinking. Although part of me would want to keep the original engine should I choose to put it back the way the factory had it. However, if I just went away for several days and say while I was gone Ashley had the LoPo swapped into the Mark VII and it's HO swapped into my car I wouldn't object. Sometimes I need to be forced off the fence in order for things like that to get done. As it is right now my mind is telling me to find a driver's side fender and put it back together yet it's been a month and I still don't have a fender for it.

Well, what's the verdict??
    I just finished putting it all back together and test driving it a short while ago. Had to change two 'suspected' bad lifters and I had a couple pushrods in upside down. No serious damage to anything.
    The valvetrain is still noisy, but drastically quieter than it was. The little remaining noise actually goes away off idle now. I'm hoping it will clear up as the engine breaks in and the lifters get all comfy back in their bores. If not, it'll get all new parts in the future.
    I had it out for a better test drive tonight (hood reinstalled now-pure classy) and there's still some bugs to work out (idle speed, final timing set-up, TV adjustment, other little odds and ends). Seems to be a lot better behaved off-idle, but there's still a flat spot mid-accelerator. That will have to be investigated further in the near future. Generally speaking, the verdict is it's moving in the right direction, although definitely still not complete.
    Oh, I can't forget this one: Yesterday I pulled the upper and lower intake to assess the lifters. Did the parts changing in the effort to quieten things down, got the lower intake all set in place and torqued down, had wires and stuff hooked back up. Then I found the lifter retainer that goes in the valley under the lower intake on the workbench.
    I am getting sick of doing stuff over and over again on this engine project.

I hear that. Changed wires, cap & rotor on k1500 over the weekend. Guess it pissed the distributor off and it died. Replaced that with "Duralast Gold" from Korea or somewhere. Now I think that thing is no good so looks like I'll be doing that again too.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

The pushrods are not direction dependant. Same roundy end on both ends.

Try unhooking the EgR valve to see if the dead spot changes. I had issues with mine, turns out the regulator wasn't regulating and popping the valve full open when it should not have been. A snort of WD40 in the reg fixed it, but unhooking the vacuum line is a quick test to see if its related.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    The pushrods are not direction dependant. Same roundy end on both ends.

Try unhooking the EgR valve to see if the dead spot changes. I had issues with mine, turns out the regulator wasn't regulating and popping the valve full open when it should not have been. A snort of WD40 in the reg fixed it, but unhooking the vacuum line is a quick test to see if its related.
    I know they're not direction dependent (in theory) but the wear pattern on the used rods was quite different on the lifter vs rocker arm ends. Seems to be a lot quieter now since having them all in the same orientation and changing both # 8 lifters.

As for the EGR piece, that is eliminated. Vacuum line is plugged at the source on the back of the upper intake. Wiring is left unplugged. I do get the occasional pop when it's flattened out and struggling. Maybe the old lopo fuel pump isn't feeding enough fuel and it's starving. It does behave similar to when the Chinese fuel pump I had in there a couple years ago had the pickup tube fell off from the nipple on the pump hanger. I noticed the Mustang spec pump I have (Walbro 520) is quite small...I've seen the thread that uses a piece of rad hose to close the gap and make it work. I'm not fussy on putting non-gas treated rubber hose in the gas tank. What else is everyone doing to fit those pumps into the panther hangers?

I'd use a fuel filler neck hose.
    ~David~ Click the Pic for the Low Down on the Vic...SERIOUSLY I DEMAND YOU!

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Turns out it was running at about 8* BTDC. It was set at 12* but that was when the engine was cold. Set the timing to 12* at hot and the flat spot is gone. Yay me.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I'd use a fuel filler neck hose.
    Capital idea sir. I'm going to do that.

The timing shouldn't be changing by any real degree from hot to cold. You are setting it with the SPOUT unplugged right?

The timing shouldn't be changing by any real degree from hot to cold. You are setting it with the SPOUT unplugged right?
    I thought so too, but it seems to have made a big difference. As for the SPOUT unplugged, I tried to do that but it wouldn't run unplugged. Shut off every time. Tried unplugging it and then starting it, still wouldn't start, so it got set while still plugged in. I know it's not right, but dazzit b'y.

You have to set it with it unplugged. Its probably about 20 degrees retarded from where it belongs. Advance the distributor some and see if it will run with it out. THats also why its moving, the ECM is changing the timing as the engine warms up. Normally at idle with the SPOUT plugged in the ECM is adding 15-20 degrees from base timing.

You have to set it with it unplugged. Its probably about 20 degrees retarded from where it belongs. Advance the distributor some and see if it will run with it out. THats also why its moving, the ECM is changing the timing as the engine warms up. Normally at idle with the SPOUT plugged in the ECM is adding 15-20 degrees from base timing.
    +1 This.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM, 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I'm going to change the oil again today as I've run it about 100 miles since I got it running. When I'm at that, I'll attempt what ye said and see if I can get it to run with the SPOUT unplugged and do it right.

So I managed to get the timing set with the SPOUT unplugged, much better now. Oil is changed, stuff that came out was amazingly clean for a fresh built engine that had been opened up again.
    Recap: Fresh oil and filter, timing set properly, valvetrain is still noisy AF (especially when it's warmed up, not so bad cold).
    I'm going to have to break down and buy new lifters and junk for it.
    Thanks for the help, mangs!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678