1988 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Napa = WIX btw.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

YEah 3.08 + HO + stock torque converter is not inspiring at all. Really needs at least a 3.55 to be acceptable, 3.73 and/or a looser converter would be better. A lot of it really is the converter. The stocker stalls at like 1800, the HO sucks under about 2500 rpm.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I order from Rock Auto at least once every two months or so. I'll check into FL1A filters next time I order from there.
        NAPA charges criminal prices for stuff here, I'd rather take my chances on the Fram parts for now.
        Plan is to do a K-code this winter coming. Not going to mess with the torque converter until the trans comes out, which hopefully won't be for a while yet. It's fast, but I can totally see how gears and converter would wake it up even more. Still loses it in hills in OD, but once it kicks down to third, even going uphill you should hold onto your hat. Big difference from what it was a year ago. Sometime I do want to do a proper HO upper/TB combo, as I'm currently running a lopo upper with 86 Mustang TB and EGR bored to 58mm.
        It's a work in progress.
        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
          ...NAPA charges criminal prices for stuff here, I'd rather take my chances on the Fram parts for now...

Even if the filter is $30, why risk one of those shitty filters coming apart (let alone not catching as much particulate) and starving your engine of oil on a engine you JUST REBUILT? Not to mention what a PITA it is to get the engine out and all that...
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post

Even if the filter is $30, why risk one of those shitty filters coming apart (let alone not catching as much particulate) and starving your engine of oil on a engine you JUST REBUILT? Not to mention what a PITA it is to get the engine out and all that...
            This is very true. It's just not worth the risk.

I've been buying Motorcraft filters by the case for about five years now. All they sold at the BX on base in Germany was Fram, and the local stores didn't carry anything that would fit the Mustang. It's too cost effective to just use the sub-par Fram filters on a newly rebuilt engine.
            —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
            1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
            1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

I guess I shouldn't tell you guys that I run PowerFlo filters that I got a pile of for less than $1 each on my cars.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

Comment

LoL no, at that point you might as well just run an empty filter case..

Comment

they're actually Purolator filters, not near as bad as the cheap price would indicate. Dollar cost isn't the ultimate measure in determining quality.

Comment

Never said it was. However, you typically get what you pay for. If someone already did their homework to determine where a filter actually comes from and how it's internals stacks up then OK. Me? I don't have those connections. Weight is a good indicator.. It's not like they'll let you cut the filters open before you buy one. I ran A/C Delco or Motorcraft ones for years before I tried the Purolator Boss filters and noticed my oil remained noticeably cleaner for longer before I switched to 'em. At Meijer they were among the cheaper filters available.

Comment

I finally got around to starting a clean up on the Lincoln today. Hand wash, windows, vinyl (including roof), engine bay touch up and carpet/seat vacuum.
                      Tomorrow after work I'll be continuing with a carpet shampoo (including the carpet mats), clean the service rubber mats, tidy up the trunk and apply a good coat of wax. I think I'll have to go over the roof again as the first coat of grease for the year usually gets soaked in pretty good and needs the second one. Going out of town for a few days on Saturday so if time allows between now and then, I'm going to have a go at shining up some chrome before I go. The bright aluminum trim on the roof around the door/window frames is faded, me no likey that.
                      Then I'll be afraid to take it out into the sandstorm that is Goose Bay, for it will definitely get dirty again.
                      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

I need to wax my car. Needs the full treatment.

Comment

So my car has developed an annoying surge at idle lately. Only occurs when it's partly warmed up to normal operating temperature. Never happens when cold. Also, sometimes it's a bit hard to start when half warm/half cooled off after being shut off. It will always start, but needs some accelerator similar to when it's flooded. The surge is made considerably worse when the A/C compressor is cycling (when the HVAC is in the "off" position, it's a lot better). Occasionally, it's bad enough to stall. IAC is three years old, in good shape and recently cleaned. I haven't checked for codes yet, and vacuum lines all appear to be in good shape. I'm thinking my lower intake wasn't set in place properly when I had it apart to change the lifters and pushrods a little while back, it seems that's when it started acting up. I did remove the upper and checked the torque on all the lower intake bolts while the engine was warm, they were within spec. I tightened them a little where the bolts are old and possibly stretched a little, they are all at about 30 lb/ft now. No difference made to the surging idle.
                          I'm sure someone else here has had a similar or the same issue in the past...input appreciated as always.

Comment

See what's doing with a vacuum gauge hooked up to it or try and spray carb & choke cleaner around gasket areas while it's running to see if the idle changes any.

Comment

Check out the surging idle checklist on StangNet. Most people solve idle issues with it.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...cklist.698148/
                              —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                              1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                              1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Any chance you got the oxygen sensors reversed? The idle can hunt if that happens. Can also happen if the ground is off at the back of the intake.

Comment

Working...
                                X