PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 1988 Lincoln Town Car

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I guess I shouldn't tell you guys that I run PowerFlo filters that I got a pile of for less than $1 each on my cars.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

LoL no, at that point you might as well just run an empty filter case..
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

they're actually Purolator filters, not near as bad as the cheap price would indicate. Dollar cost isn't the ultimate measure in determining quality.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Never said it was. However, you typically get what you pay for. If someone already did their homework to determine where a filter actually comes from and how it's internals stacks up then OK. Me? I don't have those connections. Weight is a good indicator.. It's not like they'll let you cut the filters open before you buy one. I ran A/C Delco or Motorcraft ones for years before I tried the Purolator Boss filters and noticed my oil remained noticeably cleaner for longer before I switched to 'em. At Meijer they were among the cheaper filters available.

Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

I finally got around to starting a clean up on the Lincoln today. Hand wash, windows, vinyl (including roof), engine bay touch up and carpet/seat vacuum.
    Tomorrow after work I'll be continuing with a carpet shampoo (including the carpet mats), clean the service rubber mats, tidy up the trunk and apply a good coat of wax. I think I'll have to go over the roof again as the first coat of grease for the year usually gets soaked in pretty good and needs the second one. Going out of town for a few days on Saturday so if time allows between now and then, I'm going to have a go at shining up some chrome before I go. The bright aluminum trim on the roof around the door/window frames is faded, me no likey that.
    Then I'll be afraid to take it out into the sandstorm that is Goose Bay, for it will definitely get dirty again.

Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 267,xxx km. Out for 2017, new HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1996 Ford F-150 XL 4x4, orange, 302,xxx+km. AKA "King Billy". Takes the beating like no vehicle should ever have to. Bought 2013/11/26.

I need to wax my car. Needs the full treatment.

So my car has developed an annoying surge at idle lately. Only occurs when it's partly warmed up to normal operating temperature. Never happens when cold. Also, sometimes it's a bit hard to start when half warm/half cooled off after being shut off. It will always start, but needs some accelerator similar to when it's flooded. The surge is made considerably worse when the A/C compressor is cycling (when the HVAC is in the "off" position, it's a lot better). Occasionally, it's bad enough to stall. IAC is three years old, in good shape and recently cleaned. I haven't checked for codes yet, and vacuum lines all appear to be in good shape. I'm thinking my lower intake wasn't set in place properly when I had it apart to change the lifters and pushrods a little while back, it seems that's when it started acting up. I did remove the upper and checked the torque on all the lower intake bolts while the engine was warm, they were within spec. I tightened them a little where the bolts are old and possibly stretched a little, they are all at about 30 lb/ft now. No difference made to the surging idle.
    I'm sure someone else here has had a similar or the same issue in the past...input appreciated as always.

Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 267,xxx km. Out for 2017, new HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1996 Ford F-150 XL 4x4, orange, 302,xxx+km. AKA "King Billy". Takes the beating like no vehicle should ever have to. Bought 2013/11/26.

See what's doing with a vacuum gauge hooked up to it or try and spray carb & choke cleaner around gasket areas while it's running to see if the idle changes any.

Check out the surging idle checklist on StangNet. Most people solve idle issues with it.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...cklist.698148/
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - getting her back in shape POTM March 2017
    1995 Mustang Cobra coupe - keeping it simple
    1966 Mustang coupe - soon-to-be project: no longer buried in junk; out of the garage!

Any chance you got the oxygen sensors reversed? The idle can hunt if that happens. Can also happen if the ground is off at the back of the intake.

Thanks for the checklist. I'll go down through it soon as I get the chance.
    O2 sensors aren't reversed as the last time I had the intake off, I left the wiring in place, except for what had to be removed up top (injector harness). I am second-guessing myself now about the ground eyelet...going to check that very soon.

Ground wire was put back on the intake stud.
    Fu(k.
    Oh well, to the checklist I go

So I started digging around to find my surging idle problem yesterday afternoon. Pulled the air intake ductwork and looked into the TB and saw coolant in there. Gasket between the TB and EGR spacer was soaked. Pulled the TB off, cleaned up the coolant in the throat and all the old gasket off the TB and EGR spacer, made a new gasket and put it all back together. Seems clean and dry now. Unhooked the battery for about 1/2 hour to reset the stored memory codes. Seems to be a lot better now than it was, but still has the occasional little fit of hunting idle speed. Going to have to check for vacuum leaks and maybe pull the codes to see if there's anything else going on that shouldn't be.

I've had problems with that EGR spacer. if the mating surface isn't absolutely perfect it leaks coolant. Sometimes the only way to make it work right is to just bypass it.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    I've had problems with that EGR spacer. if the mating surface isn't absolutely perfect it leaks coolant. Sometimes the only way to make it work right is to just bypass it.
    I was so close to bypassing mine earlier in the year. Perhaps a thin layer of that stuff someone mentioned would be a better idea than just the gasket alone. I'm running just the gasket but if I had to do it again...

Seems to be clean now and running a lot better, though still not perfect. I'm accusing the gasket of leaking and not the parts being bad (for now anyway).
    Bypass is the next step if there's any more trouble.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011