No announcement yet.

1988 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can check preload by counting turns on the rocker bolt. From zero lash to torque it should be between 1/4 and 1 turn. Not overly exact, but thats more than zero preload and not so much that the plunger is bottomed out.

try the non-HO firing order.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If it's a truck cam with the lopo firing order... it may be a flat tappet cam. This could be a bad thing as the dizzy gear would fairly quickly eat the gear teeth off the cam.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That was going to be my next attempt, was to try the non-HO firing order. When that happens, I'm going to plug in the old lopo computer too, for simplicity's sake.
        If it turns out that it is not an HO cam, I'm going to put the original lopo cam back in, because it will establish that I don't know what that cam actually is. Guy I bought it off of told me it was an 86 Mustang cam. But he could have told me lies.
        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

After some more hair pulling and research, I have determined I installed the timing set incorrectly.
          I positioned the crankshaft timing gear so that the crankshaft key is at about the 8:00 position, in the square keyway, while the triangle mark is at 12:00. The triangle mark is the 4* advanced, positioned straight up at 12:00 on the crankshaft.
          What I should have done was placed the crankshaft key in the 12:00 position and installed the key into the triangle crankshaft timing gear keyway that aligns with the dot on the cam gear.
          http://www.cloyes.com/Images/Instruc...0(general).pdf
          Right now, my cam is approximately 120* advanced with the crank key at 8:00 with the marks positioned as they appear in the bottom, or "advanced" diagram on the attached link. I honestly thought the square key had to go into the square keyway, no matter which setting I chose to install the timing set/cam position at. I didn't notice the difference in the position of the marks in relation to the gear teeth until it was too late.
          Front is coming off the engine again this evening to tidy up this little mess I have created for myself. I'm not sure if I will still attempt to advance the cam (albeit correctly this time) or just restore it to the factory setting. I like the idea of preserving low end power in this HO converted engine, but I'm a little gun shy after this mess I got myself into.
          Live and learn.
          Attached Files
          Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
          Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

Ah, I see what you mean. I didn't even notice that there wasn't a key inside the key way.

Just to wing some doom and gloom at you, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check the pushrods for bending. The non-HO engines are interference motors. I don't know if maybe you got lucky with it but people with the older plastic timing sets have bent valves when the chain jumped. Usually you'll see bent pushrods and the tops of the valves will not appear to be fully closed if that happens.
            Last edited by gadget73; 04-17-2017, 06:05 PM.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Ah, I see what you mean. I didn't even notice that there wasn't a key inside the key way.

Just to wing some doom and gloom at you, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check the pushrods for bending. The non-HO engines are interference motors. I don't know if maybe you got lucky with it but people with the older plastic timing sets have bent valves when the chain jumped. Usually you'll see bent pushrods and the tops of the valves will not appear to be fully closed if that happens.
              I never had it running, so the chances of bending pushrods I think is reduced, albeit not completely impossible. When I had the valve covers off a couple days ago and watched them while cranking the engine, they all appeared to be doing their thing properly. What I could see of them above the heads looked good.
              Last night I stripped the front off the engine and re-installed the timing set, and today I'm going to attempt to re-assemble it all. I tried to get the timing cover back on last night but that didn't go well, that was when I said eff it and downed tools for the night. I somehow lost the two locator dowels for the timing cover, first thing is find those. I hope to sweet mercy they didn't end up in the base pan...I have to devise a way to check and make sure they're not in there. I'm thinking a magnet on a flexible stick of some sort. If they're not there, that's good but I still need to find them for assembly.
              Thanks for the help along the way, with any luck at all I'll have this back together and running today.

Comment

Tore the front off the engine last night, re-installed the timing set.
                Today I took the day off work and put it all back together. I was lucky enough to obtain a new timing gasket set too
                Got it running after some fiddling around with the distributor, timed it up reasonably well. Topped off the fluids and set out for a spin around the block.
                The Good:
                -It starts as it should and idles decent
                -The bearings are silent
                -There was zero leaks on startup
                -There was no more smoke after the initial startup, just a little puff at first (likely from assembly lube/oil in the cylinders from honing)

The Bad:
                -TV cable needs to be adjusted, it seems like it's shifting way too soft now
                -It is really gutless starting from a dead stop
                -There is a bad valvetrain clack coming from the #7 or maybe #8 cylinder. I fear Gadget was right and I bent something up trying to start it with the cam and crank all cockeyed. Hopefully the head and/or lower intake doesn't have to come off again
                Attached Files

Comment

You are missing your hood!

Nice deal on getting it running. Lots of learning getting to do everything over and over again. I was in the same boat for my engine. I seriously can do a number on disassembly in a short amount of time now with all the practice I got!

Mines is a dog down low too. Timing is advanced to 15degrees and just gutless. I have 3.73's too but she only really comes above after 2k. Then its ON.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The HO cam is lame at low rpm. It gets better with a better lower intake but in stock form it sucks. A looser torque converter would do wonders for that.

I got nice improvements on my Mark VII when I put that old Holley lower intake on it, much more than I'd have ever expected. A ported stock lower would be functionally equivalent, and far easier to obtain than a 20 odd year old low production performance part like I happened to lay my hands on. The original SystemMax lower bolted to the stock upper intake. I won't tell you it totally fixes the soggy bottom end, but it definitely helps. My Mark is the weight of a Crown Vic, roughly 3900 lbs, with the same low stall converter and 3.27 gears.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      You are missing your hood!

Nice deal on getting it running. Lots of learning getting to do everything over and over again. I was in the same boat for my engine. I seriously can do a number on disassembly in a short amount of time now with all the practice I got!

Mines is a dog down low too. Timing is advanced to 15degrees and just gutless. I have 3.73's too but she only really comes above after 2k. Then its ON.
                      No hood? No problem "Because Roadkill" lol
                      I'd be fast at mine too except all my tools are scattered now from this job. I spent more time looking for tools than I did actually working at it when I re-did the timing set. First project right now is clean up the garage, it's near impossible to work there now. Then the plan is to sort out that noisy valve problem and see what it's really doing, hard to get a feel for it when you can't exceed 30 mph...I was going to bump the timing a bit (it's at about 10* now) but I have to be careful with that as the high octane fuel supply here is very limited, and the quality of the 87 octane is terrible. Rear end gears were in the cards for next years' project, and if it's no quicker than that after all the adjustments are made, it will definitely have to happen...I like a quick motor car. I wouldn't want to go much lower than 3.55's as I need a minimum fuel range of 250 miles.
                      I'm thinking a 1/2" spacer between lower and upper intake may be added to the mix to try and wake it up a bit on the bottom end. I was aware the lower end power was going to suffer, hence why I advanced the cam 4*. Still too early to set a baseline, but things will be done to make it quicker if needed. First things first. Like identify and fix the valvetrain noise.
                      But I'm very happy just to have it running at this point.
                      I assume TV cable adjustment is normal after an HO conversion? I lost some transmission fluid during the engine removal/installation. Topped it up but still seems very lazy shifting, like the cable has fallen off...but that's not it as the cable is still on and I am running a brass TV cable bushing with clip to prevent such an event. Can't quite tell but it almost feels like it's starting off in 2nd gear. Maybe the transmission is just being a douche after being parked since last fall too, though usually it shifts too harsh after the winter nap every year.

Comment

The HO cam is lame at low rpm. It gets better with a better lower intake but in stock form it sucks. A looser torque converter would do wonders for that.

I got nice improvements on my Mark VII when I put that old Holley lower intake on it, much more than I'd have ever expected. A ported stock lower would be functionally equivalent, and far easier to obtain than a 20 odd year old low production performance part like I happened to lay my hands on. The original SystemMax lower bolted to the stock upper intake. I won't tell you it totally fixes the soggy bottom end, but it definitely helps. My Mark is the weight of a Crown Vic, roughly 3900 lbs, with the same low stall converter and 3.27 gears.
                        Keep in mind I'm running a non-HO upper intake still with a 58 mm Capri RS TB and lopo EGR spacer only bored to 58 mm. I do notice the difference in the throttle response now, and the engine definitely breathes better. Overall, I like the setup and I'm hoping having the valve issue fixed along with setting the transmission TV pressure with help all that out in the interim until I can ditch the 3.08 gears next year. I'm still running the stock lopo fuel pump yet too; I have a 56 psi Walbro Mustang pump in the parts stock now, I'm waiting on a sending unit to arrive before I drop the tank again. Maybe the more aggressive pump will help things along as well, the old lopo pump isn't what it used to be.
                        It would definitely be easier for me to get a rare part like that (lower intake) than have my current lower ported around here (I don't want to get into that discussion again right now lol). I do have another lower I could send away to be ported, maybe I'll look at that option in the future.
                        Are you still running speed density with your XE 258 cam setup, or have you converted to MAF?

Comment

Glad that it's up and running!

George
                          1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

Just for information sake...I have a Trick Flow Stage 1 Cam in my engine....seems to be similar in function down low to the HO stick.

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If I had tons of money I'd buy a shop with a sophisticated dyno room and build engines just for the sake of knowledge, kinda like they do on engine masters.. Sure the information is already out there but self discovery is rewarding in it's own way.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The XE-258 mine has does pretty good at the bottom without running out of steam up top like the Explorer cam does. Honestly I can't pick anything that cam does wrong for a 4000 lb car with a low stall converter. For a lighter car, especially one with a looser converter it might run out of steam too quick. Same for stuff with a manual.
                                Last edited by gadget73; 04-20-2017, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X