PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: 1988 Lincoln Town Car

I was actually pointing at Derek.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM, 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

The restrictor I believe was originally for a Mustang application but it can be used on anything. The OE one looks basically like a plastic bushing. I used a flat washer on mine, OD matched up nicely with the pipe on the core, ID is whatever it is.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Heh yeah, compared to you and gadget I hardly post. I am/was a member on ThirdGen.org starting back in '05 I think? I've got maybe 200 posts there and haven't logged into that site for at least 4 years haha.

Yah, the thing in my hose looks like a bushing.

Also, not related but I looked at my '91 VII and the front bulbs have the blade type socket thing. Might have a driver's side fender lined up...
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Default Engine Installed Pics

A few shots of the new engine in between the fenders, where it belongs.
    Running like a raped ape now that I have it all dialed in. Nice with the new lifters and pushrods, good and quiet. It ran good before, but the noise was irritating AF.
    Bonus pic parked next to a sweet bumpside F100 at the grocery store a couple days ago.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1419.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	47646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1420.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	47647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1421.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	47648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1422.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	47649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1423.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	47650

Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 267,xxx km. Out for 2017, new HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22.
    Winter vehicle-> 1996 Ford F-150 XL 4x4, orange, 302,xxx+km. AKA "King Billy". Takes the beating like no vehicle should ever have to. Bought 2013/11/26.

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Good to hear you got it worked out.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

Engine looks all good in there, like it never left.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Engine looks all good in there, like it never left.
    Most of what's there never came out of there anyway...haha

Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 267,xxx km. Out for 2017, new HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22.
    Winter vehicle-> 1996 Ford F-150 XL 4x4, orange, 302,xxx+km. AKA "King Billy". Takes the beating like no vehicle should ever have to. Bought 2013/11/26.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Good to hear you got it worked out.
    Not so glad as I am to have it all done. It was testing my patience a bit there for a while...

Testing your patience sure but from it you have gained knowledge for future builds and such.

Got about 1000-ish miles on the new engine now, the first road trip was a complete success. Ran hard, fuel consumption was decent and no fluid levels dropped (oil, coolant, etc.) That in and of itself was a major accomplishment, given how it liked to mark territory prior to the rebuild.
    Going to want a K-code axle for next year though. 3.08 gears aren't doing the HO justice.
    And yes, I have learned a LOT from this experience. Hopefully I don't have to do it again for a few years...haha

Just saw the shitty Fram oil filter, ditch that thing quick, they are the absolute worst oil filter you can buy. WIX makes good ones or better yet, just run the Motorcraft FL-1A. Or if you insist on Fram, at least buy their uplevel filter as that's an improvement. I personally run Purolator Boss filters on everything.

This is probably one of the best filter comparisons I've seen: http://minimopar.net/oilfilters/index.html

I'm not really sure how this would hold up to a real-deal empirical study, but the low quality of materials that goes into the Fram filters is obvious.
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - getting her back in shape POTM March 2017
    1995 Mustang Cobra coupe - keeping it simple
    1966 Mustang coupe - soon-to-be project: no longer buried in junk; out of the garage!

I'm not a fan of the Fram filters, but alternative options are limited around here. As in you might be able to get an Atlas filter for more than $20, and I'm not at all impressed with Atlas products. Motorcraft, Kralinator, Purolator, etc. are unobtainium here. Even the Ford shop sells NAPA oil filters for the new vehicles...
    I've been running them for close to 20 years, no issues yet 'knocks on solid wood'. Normally I do run the "Tough Guard" (TG-8A) but sometimes I'm restricted to PH-8A.

Have you ever used Rock Auto? Not terribly expensive to have an FL1A shipped up to you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3991.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	227.6 KB 
ID:	47683
    óJohn

1966 Mustang coupe - soon-to-be project: no longer buried in junk; out of the garage!

Quote Originally Posted by nfldfordltd View Post
    I'm not a fan of the Fram filters, but alternative options are limited around here. As in you might be able to get an Atlas filter for more than $20, and I'm not at all impressed with Atlas products. Motorcraft, Kralinator, Purolator, etc. are unobtainium here. Even the Ford shop sells NAPA oil filters for the new vehicles...
    I've been running them for close to 20 years, no issues yet 'knocks on solid wood'. Normally I do run the "Tough Guard" (TG-8A) but sometimes I'm restricted to PH-8A.
    The Tough Guard ones are OK. I wouldn't use them though. No issues yet eh? What about that engine you just rebuilt? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    Have you ever used Rock Auto? Not terribly expensive to have an FL1A shipped up to you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3991.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	227.6 KB 
ID:	47683
    Right, just buy them by the box. Sucks you can't find anything else though.

Napa = WIX btw.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM, 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

YEah 3.08 + HO + stock torque converter is not inspiring at all. Really needs at least a 3.55 to be acceptable, 3.73 and/or a looser converter would be better. A lot of it really is the converter. The stocker stalls at like 1800, the HO sucks under about 2500 rpm.

I order from Rock Auto at least once every two months or so. I'll check into FL1A filters next time I order from there.
    NAPA charges criminal prices for stuff here, I'd rather take my chances on the Fram parts for now.
    Plan is to do a K-code this winter coming. Not going to mess with the torque converter until the trans comes out, which hopefully won't be for a while yet. It's fast, but I can totally see how gears and converter would wake it up even more. Still loses it in hills in OD, but once it kicks down to third, even going uphill you should hold onto your hat. Big difference from what it was a year ago. Sometime I do want to do a proper HO upper/TB combo, as I'm currently running a lopo upper with 86 Mustang TB and EGR bored to 58mm.
    It's a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by nfldfordltd View Post
    ...NAPA charges criminal prices for stuff here, I'd rather take my chances on the Fram parts for now...

Even if the filter is $30, why risk one of those shitty filters coming apart (let alone not catching as much particulate) and starving your engine of oil on a engine you JUST REBUILT? Not to mention what a PITA it is to get the engine out and all that...

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post

Even if the filter is $30, why risk one of those shitty filters coming apart (let alone not catching as much particulate) and starving your engine of oil on a engine you JUST REBUILT? Not to mention what a PITA it is to get the engine out and all that...
    This is very true. It's just not worth the risk.

I've been buying Motorcraft filters by the case for about five years now. All they sold at the BX on base in Germany was Fram, and the local stores didn't carry anything that would fit the Mustang. It's too cost effective to just use the sub-par Fram filters on a newly rebuilt engine.
    óJohn

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast