No announcement yet.

1988 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turns out it was running at about 8* BTDC. It was set at 12* but that was when the engine was cold. Set the timing to 12* at hot and the flat spot is gone. Yay me.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I'd use a fuel filler neck hose.
    Capital idea sir. I'm going to do that.
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The timing shouldn't be changing by any real degree from hot to cold. You are setting it with the SPOUT unplugged right?
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        The timing shouldn't be changing by any real degree from hot to cold. You are setting it with the SPOUT unplugged right?
        I thought so too, but it seems to have made a big difference. As for the SPOUT unplugged, I tried to do that but it wouldn't run unplugged. Shut off every time. Tried unplugging it and then starting it, still wouldn't start, so it got set while still plugged in. I know it's not right, but dazzit b'y.
        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

You have to set it with it unplugged. Its probably about 20 degrees retarded from where it belongs. Advance the distributor some and see if it will run with it out. THats also why its moving, the ECM is changing the timing as the engine warms up. Normally at idle with the SPOUT plugged in the ECM is adding 15-20 degrees from base timing.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

Comment

You have to set it with it unplugged. Its probably about 20 degrees retarded from where it belongs. Advance the distributor some and see if it will run with it out. THats also why its moving, the ECM is changing the timing as the engine warms up. Normally at idle with the SPOUT plugged in the ECM is adding 15-20 degrees from base timing.
            +1 This.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'm going to change the oil again today as I've run it about 100 miles since I got it running. When I'm at that, I'll attempt what ye said and see if I can get it to run with the SPOUT unplugged and do it right.

Comment

So I managed to get the timing set with the SPOUT unplugged, much better now. Oil is changed, stuff that came out was amazingly clean for a fresh built engine that had been opened up again.
                Recap: Fresh oil and filter, timing set properly, valvetrain is still noisy AF (especially when it's warmed up, not so bad cold).
                I'm going to have to break down and buy new lifters and junk for it.
                Thanks for the help, mangs!

Comment

check the preload before you worry about the lifters. Might need longer pushrods.

Comment

check the preload before you worry about the lifters. Might need longer pushrods.
                    I have new lifters and pushrods ordered, should arrive in a couple of weeks. I checked the preload crudely when I had it apart last time, everything seemed fine. Seemed is the key word.
                    I suspect there's plastic gunk inside the lifters and they're stuck. They soaked in Varsol for about three months but I had the valve train parts for each individual cylinder in plastic sub sandwich containers, which the Varsol dissolved and turned into a sticky, gummy plastic blob mess. The parts were cleaned as best I could (without disassembling the lifters, of course) and I think some of that globby plastic ended up inside some parts. Once it was out and dried off, the plastic slime solidified and jammed up the lifter plungers.
                    So I'm going to spend the $300 and put all new Sealed Power lifters and pushrods in there. Everything else is new, just as well to update the valvetrain as well.

Comment

Picture Time

As promised a long time ago, here's the first of some pictures taken during the engine assembly and installation that recently happened.
                      Hopefully I only have to tear the top off the engine one more time to get it right. When the parts arrive in a couple of weeks, likely.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Moar Pics!

Second lot:Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln engine assy LH.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1281694Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln long block done.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1281702Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln HO cam in.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1281701Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln heads on.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1281700Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln heads going on.jpg
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1281699Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln head gasket.jpg
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1281698Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln engine mock up.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1281697Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln engine mock up 2.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1281696Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln engine assy.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1281695Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln new pistons LH.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1281703

Comment

Third set of pics:

Another 10, sorry about the order being messed up lol
                          Attached Files

Comment

last but not least....

A few more for the road:Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln old strip 2.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1281714Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln old strip 3.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1281715Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln parts painting.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1281716Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln test drive no hood.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1281717Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln timing set in.jpg
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1281718Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln timing set wrong.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1281719Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln upper painted.jpg
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1281720Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln valve covers painted.jpg
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1281721Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln valve stem seals.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1281722

Comment

This is absolutely beautiful.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                                This is absolutely beautiful.

Thank you sir. It took some attention to detail and time, but I think it looks far better than the original flat black/silver lettering look. Gold lettering on silver plate goes well with the gold/silver theme of the engine.
                                Too bad you can't see much gold on the engine with it in and dressed.

Comment

Working...
                                X