No announcement yet.

1988 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heater core # 5 was installed yesterday afternoon. I made up a restrictor for the inlet line (hopefully it's the correct line, the one on the passenger side of the heater core) in the core by cutting a hole in the rubber end cap that came on the new core and put it back on, then slipped the new heater hose on over it. Hopefully this is the last time I have to take all that apart, as the the dash, heater box and plastic cowling along the top of the firewall are getting to be in rough shape from it all being taken apart so many times.
    Next I have to replace the block heater, the section of heater hose from the under-upper intake manifold tube to the water pump on the front of the engine. Then I have to get a trunk floor for it (the one I was eyeing at the junkyard here has been crushed), cut that out and weld the new one in, replace the gas tank (I already have that ready to install), finish up the A/C restoration and get two new rear tires.
    Speaking of tires, any suggestions on what size/type of tire I should get? I know there's a thread on that stuff, and I've been looking around here and there but I haven't been able to make up my mind as to what to get. I'm running new P225/70R15s on the front, I'd like to get something close to the same diameter and a little wider for the rear. P235 series tires seem to only be available for trucks, and I'm not really into that. Open to suggestions.
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ocd isnt fun at times .I agree on the two list thing. That's how I do mine.

Sent while thinking of new mods for my 96 TC, using Tapatalk.

Comment

I think the inlet is the driver side port on the heater core. The inlet should be the line from the intake and the outlet should be the line back to the pump.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          I think the inlet is the driver side port on the heater core. The inlet should be the line from the intake and the outlet should be the line back to the pump.
          Shit. I'll double check it and change it up if necessary. I started the engine while it was all took apart the weekend and a little bit of steam was coming from the hose on the passenger side so I assumed that was the 'feed' line. I'll double check it and change it if necessary now that the coolant is full.
          Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
          Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

As far as tires, I'd stick with 215/70 for economy, since narrow tires don't have as much road contact so less rolling resistance and they're shorter overall than 225/70 so it's like having lower gears.

If you want a bit wider for handling, there's 235/60 which is a bit shorter than stock 215/70 but gives you that gearing advantage. Not a lot of tire choice in that size, all I've found is BFG Radial T/A and MT Sportsman S/T. Either of those would work, but since you have those new tires, I'd put them on the back, get as much out of the fronts as possible then replace with 215/70 for a raked look, and smaller front tires that roll easier will turn easier, which is why a lot of hot rod guys use skinny little front tires and fat ones in the back.

When they all wear out, I'd give 4 of the 235/60's a shot. The raised white letters look cool on an old car too.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Thinking about getting a '92 Town Car for parts just down the road for $200 this week. There's 4 like new tires on it so even if the trunk floor doesn't work out I'll still have a couple good tires for my '88. Might have some parts for sale if anyone wants anything. Shipping will be a bit spendy though due to my remote location. PM me if you need anything for a white exterior/dark blue interior '92 LTC. Trans is toast according to the owner.

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
                Shit. I'll double check it and change it up if necessary. I started the engine while it was all took apart the weekend and a little bit of steam was coming from the hose on the passenger side so I assumed that was the 'feed' line. I'll double check it and change it if necessary now that the coolant is full.
                Turns out the inlet was the passenger side heater hose. Phew, I have the restrictor in the correct core tube.

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
                  Thinking about getting a '92 Town Car for parts just down the road for $200 this week. Might have some parts for sale if anyone wants anything.
                  Which rim style? I might be interested in the center caps, if it has the BBS rims.
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                    Which rim style? I might be interested in the center caps, if it has the BBS rims.
                    3 of 4 center caps are missing anyway. They are aluminum rims but not sure of the name of the style. You're welcome to the cap that is there though. Once I get the car I'll get a pic of the rims/cap and probably send to you on facebook.

Comment

Thanks!
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Maybe getting that 92 this evening or tomorrow sometime, depending on availability of help to drag it home and weather.

Comment

Trunk transplant surgery is complete!

Looks a lot better than it did IMO
                          Attached Files

Comment

'79 Continental Town Car
                            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

So, when I replaced the trunk floor, the tank was leaking from where the strap was chafing on the tank.
                              I ordered a new tank including a new fuel pump last year prior to replacing the trunk this week.
                              Yesterday, I installed the new fuel tank with pump and got everything working like a clock. Used the car yesterday and today, no issues.
                              This evening, went for a run to the convenience store for beer and a Mr. Freeze, dropped in to see a friend on the way home. Came out of the house, went to start the car and it was cranking fine and wouldn't start.
                              Can't hear the fuel pump at all. Lots of spark at the coil wire.
                              Any of ye ever have a brand new fuel pump die after 24 hours of use?
                              Anything else I should check out? I know of the possible relay problems, but I don't suspect that will be giving me any grief as it was perfectly fine all along. I think I'm going to unplug the connector to the fuel pump above the tank and check for voltage there. That should help isolate if it's a fuel pump problem vs. another problem farther upstream in the fuel pump circuit. I will still check out the relay and use the jumper wire if I have to.
                              Anything else in particular I should know of that causes fuel pumps to not work in these cars? I'm not feeling the whole concept of taking the tank out again, especially where it's full of petrol.
                              Dammit.

Comment

might be the relay, or the connector at the tank. If that works loose it acts like a dead pump. Might be worth checking to see if the inertia switch popped for some reason.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

Working...
                                X