PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1988 Lincoln Town Car

Conception Bay South, Newfoundland and Labrador

Thinking about getting a '92 Town Car for parts just down the road for $200 this week. There's 4 like new tires on it so even if the trunk floor doesn't work out I'll still have a couple good tires for my '88. Might have some parts for sale if anyone wants anything. Shipping will be a bit spendy though due to my remote location. PM me if you need anything for a white exterior/dark blue interior '92 LTC. Trans is toast according to the owner.

Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 290,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1996 Ford F-150 XL 4x4, orange, 318,xxx+km. AKA "King Billy". Takes the beating like no vehicle should ever have to. Bought 2013/11/26.

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by nfldfordltd View Post
    Shit. I'll double check it and change it up if necessary. I started the engine while it was all took apart the weekend and a little bit of steam was coming from the hose on the passenger side so I assumed that was the 'feed' line. I'll double check it and change it if necessary now that the coolant is full.
    Turns out the inlet was the passenger side heater hose. Phew, I have the restrictor in the correct core tube.

Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 290,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1996 Ford F-150 XL 4x4, orange, 318,xxx+km. AKA "King Billy". Takes the beating like no vehicle should ever have to. Bought 2013/11/26.

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

GMN Regular

Thinking about getting a '92 Town Car for parts just down the road for $200 this week. Might have some parts for sale if anyone wants anything.
    Which rim style? I might be interested in the center caps, if it has the BBS rims.
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
    Which rim style? I might be interested in the center caps, if it has the BBS rims.
    3 of 4 center caps are missing anyway. They are aluminum rims but not sure of the name of the style. You're welcome to the cap that is there though. Once I get the car I'll get a pic of the rims/cap and probably send to you on facebook.

GMN Regular

Thanks!
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Maybe getting that 92 this evening or tomorrow sometime, depending on availability of help to drag it home and weather.

Default Trunk transplant surgery is complete!

Looks a lot better than it did IMO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finished trunk.jpg  

GMN Regular

'79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

So, when I replaced the trunk floor, the tank was leaking from where the strap was chafing on the tank.
    I ordered a new tank including a new fuel pump last year prior to replacing the trunk this week.
    Yesterday, I installed the new fuel tank with pump and got everything working like a clock. Used the car yesterday and today, no issues.
    This evening, went for a run to the convenience store for beer and a Mr. Freeze, dropped in to see a friend on the way home. Came out of the house, went to start the car and it was cranking fine and wouldn't start.
    Can't hear the fuel pump at all. Lots of spark at the coil wire.
    Any of ye ever have a brand new fuel pump die after 24 hours of use?
    Anything else I should check out? I know of the possible relay problems, but I don't suspect that will be giving me any grief as it was perfectly fine all along. I think I'm going to unplug the connector to the fuel pump above the tank and check for voltage there. That should help isolate if it's a fuel pump problem vs. another problem farther upstream in the fuel pump circuit. I will still check out the relay and use the jumper wire if I have to.
    Anything else in particular I should know of that causes fuel pumps to not work in these cars? I'm not feeling the whole concept of taking the tank out again, especially where it's full of petrol.
    Dammit.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

might be the relay, or the connector at the tank. If that works loose it acts like a dead pump. Might be worth checking to see if the inertia switch popped for some reason.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Ah, yes, the inertia switch. I'll be checking that first of course.
    Then I'll check for voltage at the connector above the tank, to see if the problem is at the tank or ahead of it. If it's ahead, I'll look into the relay. If it's behind, I'll have to drop the tank and check out the connector on the pump and finally the pump.
    Due to the course of events, I have a sinking feeling the pump is no good.
    It had a "Made in China" sticker on it.
    Nuff said. LOL

fomoco panthers !

Trunk floor looks really good. If you need to drop the tank again, put a thin piece of rubber between the straps (hopefully new) and the new tank. I used bicycle inner tube rubber.

Looks a lot better than it did IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Trunk floor looks really good. If you need to drop the tank again, put a thin piece of rubber between the straps (hopefully new) and the new tank. I used bicycle inner tube rubber.
    I picked out the best straps and rubber strips and used them when I put the tank back in. I didn't put rubberized foam pads back on the back and top of the tank like the original tank had, but I did put half a dozen strips of duct tape on each end to keep the tank from rubbing directly on the sheet metal of the body. The install went pretty well overall.

So I found the culprit for the inoperative fuel pump it seems...there was an apparent lack of good connection at the fuel pump connector above the tank, next to where the wires come through the upper part of the trunk. I had it unplugged when I was removing the old tank and I must have disturbed it a little bit. While I was testing for power to it, the pump came on and it started presto.
    There is still a chance the fuel pump itself is a POS, so I'm going to order another new one soon as I don't trust anything made in China.
    Any suggestions for a good aftermarket fuel pump? The prospect of getting an original Ford one are pretty slim and quite expensive I suspect...

Digital Dash Enthusiast Hearsesrock427's Avatar

Wow, you've really run that gamut with that '88! I don't blame you- triple blue Townies are the shit. I've only seen one triple blue Townie in person. Some guy in the next town over owns one. It's 100% mint inside and out, and it's even a Signature Series car to boot. And I definitely agree with doing the important but boring stuff before the exciting go-fast stuff. I'm assuming you haven't replaced the trunk weatherstripping? Assuming that's original to the car, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't up to snuff at keeping moisture out...... I just can't see how else you'd get water trapped in there. Either way I'd hate to see that brand new floor become swiss cheese like the old one did!

I've heard good things about Walbro pumps. Pretty sure they're not made in China, and they also make stuff that pumps more than stock. Win-win, especially since you mentioned a SEFI 351 down the road.
    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 06-07-2015 at 11:51 PM. Reason: added some context.
    Slicktopped 1989 Grand Marquis "Ebyt". Primary project.
    255/50/R16 BF Goodrich G-force Sport Comp 2 tires, big disc brakes, polyurethane suspension bushings + body mounts, BBK long tube headers, HVAC delete
    Summer 2019 plans: Aluminum driveshaft, additional chassis bracing

Slicktopped 1985 Grand Marquis "Eva". Secondary project.
    Winter 2019 plans: Full chassis swap, maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
    Wow, you've really run that gamut with that '88! I don't blame you- triple blue Townies are the shit. I've only seen one triple blue Townie in person. Some guy in the next town over owns one. It's 100% mint inside and out, and it's even a Signature Series car to boot. And I definitely agree with doing the important but boring stuff before the exciting go-fast stuff. I'm assuming you haven't replaced the trunk weatherstripping? Assuming that's original to the car, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't up to snuff at keeping moisture out...... I just can't see how else you'd get water trapped in there. Either way I'd hate to see that brand new floor become swiss cheese like the old one did!

I've heard good things about Walbro pumps. Pretty sure they're not made in China, and they also make stuff that pumps more than stock. Win-win, especially since you mentioned a SEFI 351 down the road.
    Thanks for the compliments. I'll have a look at eh Walbro pumps when I get the chance sometime soon. Probably going to replace the relays and stuff as well while I'm at it. I don't believe in half measures...as you can probably tell.

Fuel pump issues seems to be sorted for the time being. Spent most of the day replacing A/C system components (compressor, accumulator/drier and orifice tube). Lines and condenser appear to be in good shape, so hopefully the new smog bypass belt will arrive tomorrow and I'll be able to give it a charge and it will work. I got a Duracool recharge kit with three 6 oz cans of R-12 plus an extra can of OilChill with leak detection dye to fill it up with. Fingers crossed that it does the trick.

GMN Regular

Has the parts car been scrapped?
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
    Has the parts car been scrapped?
    Harvested and gone. That center cap is in my garage and when I get the chance, I'll make up a little box to put it in and pop it in the mail to you.

Air conditioning is working like the clock! First time in the nine years I had this car, and what a comfort it is!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast