No announcement yet.

1988 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you thinking about using GT40 heads possibly?
    Always like the SEFI box Town cars. Nice riding, smooth cruising cars.

Good luck with the rebuild.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
      Are you thinking about using GT40 heads possibly?
      Always like the SEFI box Town cars. Nice riding, smooth cruising cars.

Good luck with the rebuild.
      I may use the GT-40 heads some day, but not yet. I'm going to get it all running with the truck E7 heads/19 lb injectors for now, then upgrade to better parts in the future.
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Post pics of progress when you have the time.
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Engine Progress Update

The donor 93 truck engine was brought home back in October, torn down last month. Everything looks good, it's a low mileage engine with minimal ridge, but was poorly maintained and sat for about 10 years before I got it. Can't bitch too much when it's free stuff. That means I now have a good block, E7TE heads, and 19 lb injectors. HO conversion is underway.
          Scottmang set me up with an 88 Mark VII ECM, I got a cam from an 86 Mustang locally. Got the complete intake manifold assembly from an 86 Capri RS also earlier this fall, but I noticed the upper and lowers are identical to lopo parts. But, the EGR spacer and TB are 58 mm as opposed to the lopo's 50 mm parts, so I'm going to use my own upper and lowers as they are in better shape than the Capri bits.
          Took a few days off over the Christmas holiday this year, and spent some time prepping the block and heads for the build, which will happen later the Spring, likely in April. Cleaned everything up thoroughly, inspected it all for cracks, warps, anything out-of-round, etc. and it all checks out. Rebuild kit with standard sized parts will work for this build as nothing has been machined or needs to be. Plasti-gauge will tell the final tale but I'm hoping it all works out. Yesterday and today I painted the block and one head as it is time consuming work and I have lots of that while I'm waiting for money to order the parts to complete the build. I do need to get some more tools as well, like a ridge reamer, ring compressor and puller. I managed to borrow one to get the balancer off the donor engine but it wasn't the correct one for the job, going to get a correct one for future use.
          I even thought to take a snap of the painted block:Click image for larger version

Name:	gold block jan 2017.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1281143
          I'm being called "tacky" for painting my engine gold. Meh.
          Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
          Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Essentially, it'll be an 86 HO engine with E7 heads to start with. Painted gold block, heads, valve covers, base pan. Silver intake assembly, timing cover and water pump.
            Any recommendations for a good replacement fuel pump to feed the 19 lb injectors? The standard lopo pump won't work, it's getting weak now with the stock lopo engine.

Comment

Walbro pumps work fine. Mine was a Summit-boxed one for about 15 bucks cheaper than the Walbro boxed one. Same damn pump. I forget what I'm using, probably somewhere around 90 lph. Its been in there several years without a problem and its not noisy.

Oldsmobile and Owens (boats) painted their engines gold.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Walbro pumps work fine. Mine was a Summit-boxed one for about 15 bucks cheaper than the Walbro boxed one. Same damn pump. I forget what I'm using, probably somewhere around 90 lph. Its been in there several years without a problem and its not noisy.

Oldsmobile and Owens (boats) painted their engines gold.
                Thanks for the info on the pump. I actually don't mind a noisy pump because it's easier to hear when diagnosing stuff, so long as it's not a miserable high-pitched whine.
                I was inspired towards the gold by the mid 60's Ford engines and it's availability at Canadian Tire lol. The blue has been done, grey is blah and I wasn't about to paint it red or orange like the Chev engines.

Comment

I don't require them to be silent either but if I can hear it screaming while I drive with the radio off, its too loud.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

Comment

87 was the first year for the HO stamped upper intakes. All lowers were the same

Interested in seeing the engine all put together in its silver and gold paint.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Not everything has to be Ford blue or gray/silver. Have some fun with it why not . Best of luck getting The motor put together.
                      -Nick M.
                      Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                      03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        87 was the first year for the HO stamped upper intakes. All lowers were the same

Interested in seeing the engine all put together in its silver and gold paint.
                        Me too lol. I think it'll look bitchin'.

Comment

Reaming the ridges and honing the cylinders in the new engine.
                          The dust from that stuff is nasty.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1361.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1281274Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1360.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1281275

Comment

Shouldn't be making dust for honing. The walls need to be well lubricated for that. The old way was to use kerosene but pretty much any thin oil like substance will work. Cast iron machines very easily, but its dusty foul crap.

Comment

I've got lots of WD-40 on the shelf, I'll squirt some of that on it next time I go at it. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Make sure you measure the bore when you're done with all that to make sure its straight and not oversize. Very easy to do that. Need 6 measurements per hole to verify roundness and taper.

Comment

Working...
                                X