1988 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    Make sure you measure the bore when you're done with all that to make sure its straight and not oversize. Very easy to do that. Need 6 measurements per hole to verify roundness and taper.
    That I did already know. Everything seems good so far, will do the final measurements after the work is done. It's taking a nice bit of work to get everything smooth where the block was sitting for 10+ years not running. The cylinders have pitting and marks where the piston rings rested for that downtime. I haven't been spending any time it it this week as I've been unusually busy with work and junk. Hopefully the weekend I'll be able to get back at it.
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Stock 1986 Mustang camshaft *should* have the correct distributor gear for either my truck engine (remote-mounted TFI) or Lincoln (distributor-mounted TFI), no? Am I correct in assuming only aftermarket parts would run me the risk of being the wrong gear material?
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The Lincoln has a roller cam, truck being '96 ought to be a roller engine as well. '86 Mustang should also be roller cam. So yeah, all the same should take the same gear on the distributor.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

If you look close at the gear you can usually tell if its steel or not. The steel ones have machine marks, the iron ones tend to have sand cast marks.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

Thanks for the info, gentlemen. I'll double check the gear on the cam, but it makes sense that all those roller engines should have the same parts.

Comment

Gadget was talking about the distributor gear actually. The cam gear is what it is, you match the distributor gear to whether the cam is roller lifter or flat tapped - rollers need steel dizzy gear, flatties get the iron.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I hope that you've been wearing a mask and goggles.
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                  I hope that you've been wearing a mask and goggles.
                  Nah. But I'm OK haha

Comment

The effects of inhalation aren't immediate, like with asbestos and what not.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Iron dust, just means I don't have to eat beans or spinach to compliment my iron intake for a little while.
                      I used WD-40 when I finished them off, dust was absent then. It's all good.

Comment

Cast iron dust is mostly iron (obviously) and graphite. Nothing really hazardous. The graphite element is what makes it so easy to machine, but so dusty at the same time. The oil is more for dust control than actually lubricating anything.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          Cast iron dust is mostly iron (obviously) and graphite. Nothing really hazardous. The graphite element is what makes it so easy to machine, but so dusty at the same time. The oil is more for dust control than actually lubricating anything.
                          It's all done now since January sometime.
                          Parts are arriving bit by bit. Of course, main bearings are the last thing to arrive, so I can't do squat with assembly until they get here. Summit never sent bearings or valve stem seals with the rebuild kit so I can't put my short block together or get the heads ready. All I can do is look at the pile of other parts...
                          They sent the incorrect upper intake gaskets (truck type) but I'm not sending those back as there's a couple of OBS trucks here that they are good for.
                          Main bearings, valve stem seals and correct upper intake gaskets are on their way from Rock Auto, hopefully I'll have it tomorrow or early next week. It would be nice to get the short block assembled over the weekend. Slowest engine rebuild ever. Oh well, it'll be at least a month before the weather is fit to actually drive the car anyway. NBD.

Comment

Plucked the old engine out of the Lincoln today. Went surprisingly well, took about 8 hours, and that wasn't rushing anything. It helped that I had fairly fresh exhaust manifold flange studs and nuts. Twisted off one bolt in the A/C compressor bracket and that was it. After the old engine was out and on the stand, I pulled a valve cover for a peek at the rocker arms, etc. Very clean inside, zero sludge. Outside was a different story. At least 1/4" (or more) of oil and grease caked on everywhere. Dirty job.
                            I assume regular panther valve covers will work on the E7 heads? I know the bolt pattern is identical, but what about rocker arm clearance? E6 and E7 rockers look the same to me.

Comment

Engine is Finally Coming Together

Click image for larger version

Name:	elegant savage final assembly.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1281595
                              Engine is all put together and set back in place. Hopefully I'll be able to set her going sometime today and it runs as good as it looks.

Comment

All put back together, now it'll crank but not start.
                                Lots of fuel and fire.
                                Backfires through the intake.
                                Possible the distributor is off 180 degrees?

Comment

Working...
                                X