1.7 Roller Rockers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.7 Roller Rockers?

Just wondering if it's possible or worth it to whack on a set of 1.7 roller rockers on a mostly stock lopo. Will be doing the HO upperstuff soon, as well as exhaust and thought hell, if they'll fit i'll slap on some 1.7's. I presume these shitty heads are probably pedestal just like the mustangs right?

Yep, just pedestal. I've got 1.7rr's on my one lopo and they work great. Not sure how much their worth performance wise, but i had them laying around anyways.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

My simulator work said a theoretical 2-3 horsepower up top on a stockish engine. No gain down low. Rollers are nice for reliability and friction though

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Not going to hurt anything, gains are questionable as indicated. HO upper intake will probably help more, couple the two along with exhaust work to get some more oomph out of the stock motor.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah they'll likely go on shortly after the exhaust, same time as the intake, throttle body, etc. Riddle me this, is there any larger MAF sensor I can use with the stock computer. The inlet tube and maf on this thing are tiny! If I had to I'd put on 19lb injectors to match but wonder if anyone has dealt with a MAF car.

Comment

But will the 1.7's fit under the stock valve covers?
            1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
              But will the 1.7's fit under the stock valve covers?
              With plenty of room to spare.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                Yeah they'll likely go on shortly after the exhaust, same time as the intake, throttle body, etc. Riddle me this, is there any larger MAF sensor I can use with the stock computer. The inlet tube and maf on this thing are tiny! If I had to I'd put on 19lb injectors to match but wonder if anyone has dealt with a MAF car.
                What do you have exactly? To my knowledge, only the 1990-91 California cars had mass air. If you've got one of those, I am not knowing.

The injectors are not actually matched to the mass air sensor. Thats a very common misconception, mostly created from the Mustang crowd. They make a "calibrated" sensor that bullshits the computer into mostly working with the wrong injectors by feeding it a false signal. The proper way to change injectors is to re-program the ECM so it knows what size injectors are in there. If you're into it for that much, you can also reprogram the ECM to use whatever MAF you like too. Absolutely no clue as to the tunability of the Cali ECM though.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes, mine is a '90 California LTD crown vic. I'm not going to go crazy enough to have to reprogram the crappy lopo PCM if that's what it'll come down to, i'll wait until I go HO. I was just wondering if say, a mustang maf might work with this turd. Mostly my concern is making the intake tract bigger, because it's pathetically small right now. If there's a way I can make it work, I'll use the '04 PI airbox/ziptube and maf that I have tucked away. That will likely be later when it'll actually be worth the trouble, not with this shitty lopo boat anchor. The stock MAF is so small though...

On another note, changed my IAC this afternoon but I didn't disconnect the battery so it still surged and acted funny, idled high too. Disconnected the battery and will re-connect and drive it to work in the morning to see how it does. Hope this is the right fix, I really don't wanna go vacuum leak hunting. I don't mind working on the car, it's finding the time. Have to get service done this weekend and try to get the exhaust done too, which should be interesting. Road trip is weekend after this one so I gotta get my shit together.

Comment

Pretty much nothing will work with that system without a tune other than exhaust. Change the MAF, get a tune. change the injectors, get a tune.

as for the IAC, yeah, disconnecting the battery is a must to allow the PCM to calibrate to the new part.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So when you swap out 1.6 to 1.7, can you use the same pushrods? I've been reading about different length pushrods in 5.0L to use for aftermarket rockers.

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
                      George Burns

Comment

Usually you can, but in a perfect world you want to measure lifter preload to confirm its in range. In reality, if you set the engine to TDC so the valves on #1 are fully closed, you can see how far it turns from zero lash to the 20 ft/lb torque the rocker bolts want. If its somewhere between 1/2 and 1 turn, you're likely just ducky if you don't happen to own a dial indicator to check it the proper way.

Comment

Wouldn't one consider changing from 1.6 roller rockers to 1.7 when they're considering a cam and head swap (GT40) swap? That would be the only time I can see any real benefit for the time spent doing all of that work.

Packman

Comment

The stock rockers aren't roller. Changing to them will get you a wee bit of efficiency improvement just from reduced internal loading. Its splitting hairs, but its there. No big benefit to them, but if you're planning on upgrades later you can always re-use them at that point and it won't hurt anything to use them on the stock motor. Its very little extra work on top of a valve cover gasket change if thats already a planned thing.

basically I wouldn't tear apart a stock motor just to stick a set in, but if I had them and needed valve cover gaskets, they'd get installed too.

Comment

Originally posted by BigT View Post
                              So when you swap out 1.6 to 1.7, can you use the same pushrods? I've been reading about different length pushrods in 5.0L to use for aftermarket rockers.
                              Some people have to shim the rockers a little..............

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fm...FY8vgQodMkEAAg
                              Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Working...
                              X