1.7 Roller Rockers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
    But will the 1.7's fit under the stock valve covers?
    1.7's were used on the '93 Cobra, as were the cv (lopo) style valve covers...

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

yeah the stock boring valve covers have enough clearance. I can also tell you that the 85 Mustang aluminum finned ones work with stock Cobra rockers at least.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        yeah the stock boring valve covers have enough clearance. I can also tell you that the 85 Mustang aluminum finned ones work with stock Cobra rockers at least.
        Powdercoat them NFG, then they won't be boring!

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

I like the boring stock covers. You don't want anyone to know there is something special sitting there, do you?
          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Yeah, lotta greasy mofos running around stealing heads outta motors these days!

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

well, the cool thing about the stock covers is that you can tell people they are 1993 Cobra covers and not actually lie about it. Its an identical part, even if thats not what they were once bolted to. The 94-95 covers look exactly like the stock steel ones, but have COBRA embossed on them. Can't even hardly tell unless you look close. Functionally though, despite their plain look the stock valve covers may be among the best steel valve covers Ford ever made. They are thick enough to not warp and bend like those pieces of shit from the 60s and 70s.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I thought I read somewhere that the Exploder valve covers had some sort of sound dampening material between two layers of steel. Not sure if that's true or not, I always just throw them in the scrap pile.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

they have a stupid fill neck, so fuck 'em.

Comment

Haha, stupid fill neck. Anyhow, thanks Blue for the shim link, i'll probably get some just in case. For 9 bucks you really can't lose. I'll be snooping around to find a cheap set of 1.7s, I'm sure to shit not paying over 200 bucks for some just to gain like 2hp, just though it'd be a good idea since I'm gonna need valve cover gaskets and might throw on my new(used) intake manifold. Any ideas on an intake tube to replace the tiny stupid straw that connects my throttle body to MAF? The fool thing is seriously fucking tiny, of course so is the maf but still.

Comment

Look for them used.

I got known-good (came with paperwork and saw them pulled off the engine) ported E7's AND FRPP 1.72 roller rockers for $500 Canadian. The rockers were <150 of that in my mind. You should be able to find them even cheaper in So-Cal.

Also, I haven't seen dyno or sim numbers to back them up, but I would imagine the aluminum roller rockers do at least something to help with valve float. If you're running original 30 year old lopo springs, that could matter.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Just don't buy cheapo chinese RR's, you'll regret it.

What does the air intake on a 90/91 Mass Air cali car even look like? I imagine it's the same as a 90 TC, or at least similar. SD fox bodies have intake tubes that work nice flipped around, except for the random mark VII ones that neck down in one spot.

Any 92+ airbox will be a direct bolt in, but I honestly wouldn't fuck with the MAF, at least until you do your HO swap. There's zero support for those oddball cars. If anything, I'd almost want to convert it to SD, and leave a dummy MAF for commiefornia inspection.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Yeah i'll probably snag a set of lightly-used Ford motorsport or Crane rockers for it. What air-tube and maf is that you've got there Pantera? Mine looks like that but way fucking smaller. I'll see about getting an SD fox mustang tube, that shouldn't be too hard to come by. Might just mod the stock airbox with a bigger inlet horn. Easily accomplished with a plastic cup jammed in it instead of the tiny neck-down POS that they come with. Thanks guys!

Comment

Whats the computer in that thing? LOX2? Wonder if a A9P would swap right in? Or adding a MAF/inj. combo to the existing set-up?
                            Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

I think those are still running the lopo cam... so it would need the cam swap too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah an a9 computer should be a plug-n-play on this once I do the rest of the HO stuff but that's down the road a ways. I'm just looking to slap a little bit of lipstick on the pig that's in there for now and get some small gains. At some point it'll be getting a built motor but I've just about blown the budget on the car for now. Gotta sell some crap before I start buying more. Don't suppose anyone wants an Eaton M112 or some 2v shorty headers?

Comment

Working...
                                X