No announcement yet.

'87 GM A/C Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best one I can find... should be the same system as in any box panther with ATC.
    http://www.lincolnlandinc.com/blog/2..._concerns.html

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      Best one I can find... should be the same system as in any box panther with ATC.
      http://www.lincolnlandinc.com/blog/2..._concerns.html
      Cool and thanks! I will try to get a larger diagram as I couldn't read it or make it larger.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I know I have an easier to read one around here somewhere, but I can't find it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          I know I have an easier to read one around here somewhere, but I can't find it.
          I think I have the original EVTM schematics here so I'll also see what I have. It is LARGE paper work that opens up to the size of a kitchen table!! ONE of us will find something!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

I cleaned up most of the needed text on that link I posted...
            Last edited by sly; 11-25-2021, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Now THAT even I can read! Thank you for taking the time to provide this!!!

Comment

If I needed to run a new "black" vacuum line, from the check valve, should I run it directly to the ATC Control Panel or elsewhere? Would like to know if that is the issue before all that work. Wonder if the sensor is good? I think it is like an $80 part...

Comment

There's a T in the black line about a foot or so inside the firewall and you'll have to tap into the line before that T as the section through the firewall will be cut loose.

Definitely worth diagnosing that line first to make sure.

Comment

The issue, as I see it, is there can be an issue anywhere along that black line - from under the hood to the control unit, ATC sensor or TBL. Guess one would need to check vacuum to each part to narrow it down?

Comment

Pretty much

Comment

if its anywhere, I'll bet you a buck its either the soup can is bad or the TBL is leaking. The vast majority of the time, the stuff in the dashboard is fine. Handy, since its all hard to access.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          if its anywhere, I'll bet you a buck its either the soup can is bad or the TBL is leaking. The vast majority of the time, the stuff in the dashboard is fine. Handy, since its all hard to access.
                          TBL can easily be replaced - I gave it a "quick" look and didn't see a leak but I will give it a real good look soon. What can that "soup can" be replaced with?

Comment

vacuum test them first before you throw parts at it. The TBL can be a bit trickier to test, but unhooking it and plugging the lines will answer that question. If the problem goes away, then you're done.

the soup can can be replaced with pretty much any vacuum reservoir. Most newer things have plastic ones. Mostly its a junkyard shopping sort of thing, you find a gee-gaw that looks useful and grab it. If I was ebay shopping, I might use something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-47077...e53c51&vxp=mtr

looks like the Chevy S10 vacuum ball. Probably is. There are others that are similarly inexpensive.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              vacuum test them first before you throw parts at it. The TBL can be a bit trickier to test, but unhooking it and plugging the lines will answer that question. If the problem goes away, then you're done.

the soup can can be replaced with pretty much any vacuum reservoir. Most newer things have plastic ones. Mostly its a junkyard shopping sort of thing, you find a gee-gaw that looks useful and grab it. If I was ebay shopping, I might use something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-47077...e53c51&vxp=mtr

looks like the Chevy S10 vacuum ball. Probably is. There are others that are similarly inexpensive.
                              Thanks for the leads and info - I'll check the TBL first and see where I am at!

Comment

Took a quick look today and BOTH vacuum lines to the TBL were broken. I capped them both and removed the electrical connector and the car got REAL cold! Not sure if it will cut in and out, like before (I doubt it) because I did not drive it. We'll see on Thursday! Does anyone sell vacuum lines that small?? Perhaps I can put a larger size on, if not, and zip tie them (NOT my first choice for a repair)? Of course, I could just leave the lines capped and unit unplugged as I have a bypassed heater core anyway and don't really need heat.

Comment

Working...
                                X