No announcement yet.

Coach Vinyl Roof Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd weld them shut honestly. Best bet would probably snip out a circle just a smidge smaller then the ones there and put a nice hunk of copper behind the hole while you tack it in place. Grind smooth and give it a smear of waterproof body filler...something with fiberglass.

The hole is pretty big and I don;t know about filling it with a fiberglass mesh and resin. May work but may fail over time.

Regarding the trim...Now the back side of the trim...is it flat to accept some double stick tape? or is there a ridge? May have to double up the double stick tape to get the proper depth/adhesion if there is a ridge. Been a while since I had my window trims off.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Here's some more pics of the removal. You can see the fiberglass shell makes a huge gap. The coach glass was much easier to remove than the stand glass.
      Attached Files

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
      George Burns

Comment

yeah, weld the holes shut. Anything else will just fall in and cause you problems long-term.

The stock trim clips attach to a special type of rivet that was installed when the car was assembled. I believe they are welded in somehow. Likely the places that sell resto supplies have them. I have to imagine that they rust out and need replacing sometimes. Not really sure what to call the things tho.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think he is missing the actual teet/rivet for the clips to go onto. How the hell to get those on??? I'd hate to rty and weld those small things in place or even drill into the car that many times to put clips in place for the trim.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'm guessing they go in with a stud welder. Probably just a matter of finding the proper type of stud to weld in there. Either that or you could try and use small self-tapping screws to hold the trim clips in place.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The studs that hold the clips on are welded on with a special attachment on a stud welder. I've never seen one before because there's not really much call for them as there used to be back when the majority of trim was held on with more than just adhesives. I don't even know where you'd get one, and it certainly wouldn't be cheap.

In the past, to install clips where a particular car previously had none, I've drilled 1/8" holes and used small self-tapping sheet metal screws dipped in silicone sealant. I did that to my personal car about 8 years ago and they've yet to leak. They also hold on very well provided they aren't over tightened. I believe I also did it on Thain's car 5 or 6 years ago to hold the stainless panels on - how're yours holding up, Thain?

Comment

Still there, not rusty last I peeked inside a door. The silicone is the trick, it'll rot like crazy without a sealer.

Comment

Ugly!

Found some ugliness under the roof. Rusted all the way through to the headliner, almost a crossed the entire roof, and with spots as wide as 1.5 to 2 inches. I'm going to need some Naval Jelly or some other kind of rust encapsulator! I'm thinking of using the outer shell on the inside to support the area for body filler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rust1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1277667Click image for larger version

Name:	Rust2.jpg
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1277668Click image for larger version

Name:	Rust3.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1277669

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

yeah, thats the unfortunate problem with those tops, and why they must be dealt with immediately if they start to get bad. Also why i'm not a fan of the frenched in rear window deal, that fiberglass top thing is nothing but a water holder.

Comment

By the way, if anyone in the Montgomery, AL area wants a coach rear window for free, let me know. I'll give it a week or two than I'll pitch it.

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

That blows. My heart would have sank if I found that. Good for you to stick with it as the rest of the car is in nice shape.Time for the welder. You are not going to fix this with body filler and have it last at all.

Inside voice: It bugs me how most half ass the slick top job. TAKE OUT THE INTERIOR AND REMOVE EVERYTHING FIRST. It would have been easier and then everything is out to do the job correctly.
                        Last edited by 87gtVIC; 06-05-2015, 02:33 PM.
                        ~David~

Comment

Do not use VLP!!! That stuff will turn dark brown and stain the hell out of the roof!!! You will have to paint the entire roof!!!
                          Originally posted by BigT View Post
                          My 86 GM needs a new vinyl roof. This will be the 2nd time I’ll have to replace it since I’ve owned (2002) the car. It sits outside with no car port year round including the Alabama heat. I have a couple of ideas I’m thinking of trying and looking for advice, or suggestions of other ideas I haven’t thought of trying.

My first idea is to use VLP to repair/fill in the cracks and repaint the top. This would be by far the cheapest. Not sure how good this stuff works. http://www.amazon.com/Performix-0758...nyl+repair+kit Anyone use this product?

My next idea is to convert it to a slick top. But having a coach rear window mean more work on top of the already labor intensive glue removal process. Has anyone converted a coach to a slick top? How hard is it? Has anyone converted to a slick top and still keep the coach window in place? Maybe using fiberglass/bondo around the window?

My final idea is to replace the vinyl. The going price around here for a shop to do it is $750-$1,000, if they can order it from their suppliers. I found some folks on the internet switched to canvas top because they last longer. I’m thinking of replacing it myself, but not sure where to buy the top. Has anyone done their own top? Anyone use canvas? Where do you recommend buying a quality top?

I went through a prison program the last time I replaced the top and not sure of the quality vinyl they used. If I do replace the vinyl, what do you use to keep lasting as long as possible?

Any other suggestions/ideas folks have done I haven't thought of doing?

Comment

Here's some pics of my progress.

I cut out as much of the rust as I could and still leave some good metal to work with.

Name:	P6060059.jpg
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1277704

Name:	P6060063.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1277707

Name:	P6060061.jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1277706

Name:	P6060060.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1277705

I wired brushed and grinded what was left. Then I used Naval Jelly twice and painted with Rustoleum. I cut and used a section of the fiberglass panel for support.

Name:	P6060065.jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1277709

Name:	P6060064.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1277708

Name:	P6060067.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1277710

Then I used Kitty Fiber to fill in every thing.

Name:	P6070070.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1277711

Name:	P6070071.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1277712

Name:	P6070072.jpg
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1277713

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

Fuck that. I'd have just thrown an old school light bar on that bitch. Best of luck to ya buddy, cause if the body flexes it will crack there. I just don't understand how it is so ate up.
                              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I will say the slick top will be awesome. The car looks so good as is, it's worthy!
                                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                                X