Coach Vinyl Roof Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coach Vinyl Roof Issues

My 86 GM needs a new vinyl roof. This will be the 2nd time I’ll have to replace it since I’ve owned (2002) the car. It sits outside with no car port year round including the Alabama heat. I have a couple of ideas I’m thinking of trying and looking for advice, or suggestions of other ideas I haven’t thought of trying.

My first idea is to use VLP to repair/fill in the cracks and repaint the top. This would be by far the cheapest. Not sure how good this stuff works. http://www.amazon.com/Performix-0758...nyl+repair+kit Anyone use this product?

My next idea is to convert it to a slick top. But having a coach rear window mean more work on top of the already labor intensive glue removal process. Has anyone converted a coach to a slick top? How hard is it? Has anyone converted to a slick top and still keep the coach window in place? Maybe using fiberglass/bondo around the window?

My final idea is to replace the vinyl. The going price around here for a shop to do it is $750-$1,000, if they can order it from their suppliers. I found some folks on the internet switched to canvas top because they last longer. I’m thinking of replacing it myself, but not sure where to buy the top. Has anyone done their own top? Anyone use canvas? Where do you recommend buying a quality top?

I went through a prison program the last time I replaced the top and not sure of the quality vinyl they used. If I do replace the vinyl, what do you use to keep lasting as long as possible?

Any other suggestions/ideas folks have done I haven't thought of doing?

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
    George Burns

I have been doing marine upholstery for 10 years, our business has been around for almost 20 years. We have to fix factory issues on $1,000,000+ yachts.

For the vinyl use a good outdoor or marine vinyl. Find a local supplier, and ask what the recommend. DO NOT PUT ARMOR-ALL ON YOUR VINYL. A good vinyl doesn't need it. The only thing you should put on it is 303 Aerospace Protectant. The best way to extend the life of your vinyl is to keep it out of the Sun, without a carport or something you will be replacing it every few years. A car cover is possible, provided you can keep it from sitting on the vinyl and you have some air movement under it. When a cover sits on vinyl in the sun it causes discoloration from the cover.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I learned my lesson about Armor All from my 1st vinyl top. With the 2nd top, I was told by the shop to just use soap and water. If I can find a local supplier, they can build the pattern for me? I got the impression these tops come from the factory with the pattern.

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
      George Burns

Comment

Slick top time. You also have a landau, not a coach roof. A Landau is a half top and a coach roof is a full. (This is assuming the car in your signature that's titled as an 1986 Grand Marquis, is the car you're speaking of.)

Landau roof to slick tops are easy. I'm going to be probably doing it this summer. I personally think they look a fuck-load better, plus less maintenance.

IIRC you'll need rear window trim from a slick top, I may be mistaken. Basically you need police car rear window trim. (Could be wrong.)

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
        The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
        It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

He's probably referring to the rear window. On some, it was frenched in using a fiberglass shell. The tell is no trim around the back glass, the vinyl tucks under. Its not a simple process to slicktop one of those. The shell has to be removed, and there is a bunch of dicking about to deal with all that mess. Much easier to just put it back on.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Lets say the shell is removed. Can a normal sedan window be put into its place?
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Not sure. There may be some modification to the steel that doesn't let that happen. I've never seen the shell removed to know exactly what lives under there. For all I know, the normal rear glass is already in there and just partly blocked. Or not.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'd bet dollars to donuts the rear window is exactly the same under the shell. My vote is to replace with canvas. My 04 has a black canvas top that looks almost brand new and that car has lived outside since day 1. My 89 LTC had a dark blue cloth top that looked good when that car was almost 20 (when I sold it).
                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Canvas holds up better than vinyl, but runs about twice as much per yard
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Not a fan of the canvas look myself. I'm also not much for slicktops or all that other base model stuff that is so popular. You know what they say about opinions though.

Comment

the rear windows are different for sure

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

But would a landau top car have a shell? I know coach roofs do but I haven't seen a half top with one.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                        The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                        It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Some did, at least on Lincolns. Not 100% sure on the Mercury. The rear window trim is the tell. If its got trim, it doesn't have the shell.

Comment

Am going to have to address this very same issue on my '84 Towncar. Splits in the vinyl are becoming more numerous, am planning on coating the vinyl roof with Herculiner.

I experimented with Herculiner on a large vinyl swatch last fall, left it sitting outside all winter, today it looks just like the day I applied it.

Comment

Vinyl on my '90 is still fairly supple, but does have some small cracks here and there. What is this Herculiner you speak of?

Comment

Working...
                              X