Scrapping a 1992 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrapping a 1992 Lincoln Town Car

I just brought home a 1992 LTC yesterday. I'm going to have to harvest parts quickly to get it off my property so the landlord doesn't have a fit about it. It's got a supposedly good running 4.6, transmission is gone (that's why it was parked), lots of options (possibly even fully loaded, including digital dash) and fancy aluminum rims (79lincolnlover is interested in those already). It's white with a blue interior. Rough shape, over 300,000 km (it was used as a taxi). All lights are good except LH front outboard park lamp assembly. Body panels are in pretty good shape in terms of rust, but shipping on those would be very expensive. The rear axle is a disc brake unit, Y code (3.08 open diff). Load leveling rear suspension that seems to work decent. I'm probably going to leave the rear axle and front suspension intact to make it easier for the tow truck to load it.
    I know I need the following for my '88:
    -full trunk floor
    -rear sway bar
    -all light bulbs and fuses/some relays and switches
    -power window motors (I could be convinced to sell those to someone who needs less than all 4 of them though, the windows in my '88 are still good yet)
    -Thermal Blower Lockout switch
    -any and all A/C parts that may be of use to me (probably only the condenser, and maybe not even that)
    -power antenna motor
    -speakers
    Anything else any of ye might need, send me a PM within the next week and I'll be happy to help any way I can. Be forewarned: shipping will not be cheap as I'm in the Alaska of Eastern Canada (Labrador).
    Also open to suggestions about what else I should keep for my '88.
    Prices will be very fair in light of the expensive shipping.
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Trunk muncher and the latch (has the switch to trigger the pull down function). Someone might want it. I have access to several in local yards.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I don't think it has a muncher, but I'll look now the once.
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

well shit, I didn't know I needed the latch too to go with the muncher in my parts hoard!
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
          I don't think it has a muncher, but I'll look now the once.
          And by "now the once" I mean tomorrow. It's dark out and raining now.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
            well shit, I didn't know I needed the latch too to go with the muncher in my parts hoard!
            Yeah. I finally looked at an EVTM. Simple circuit, but goes through a switch on the latch.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If this has the cool cup holder arm rests, you might consider keeping them to fit onto your car.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

Do you have any pictures or video to post? Mostly interested in the interior so any pics of that would be nice to see.
                1994 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  Trunk muncher and the latch (has the switch to trigger the pull down function). Someone might want it. I have access to several in local yards.
                  It does have the muncher. Not sure if it works right though.

Comment

Originally posted by AC75 View Post
                    Do you have any pictures or video to post? Mostly interested in the interior so any pics of that would be nice to see.
                    Blue Signature Series...seats are OK but have cigarette burns. Carpet is really dirty, instrument cluster face has a crack. Let me know what you want and I'll see if it's any good and I can get back to you.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      If this has the cool cup holder arm rests, you might consider keeping them to fit onto your car.
                      It does, but the driver seat armrest upper pad is broken from the main part of the armrest. I might pull them and put them aside if I get the urge to make them work.

Comment

Anyone ever put the rear sway bar off a '92 onto a box?
                        It's the kind that bolts to the chassis with a link kit and bushings on the axle (like the OBS trucks had). My '88 has no rear sway bar at all.

Comment

I think you'd need to weld in some plates on the frame for the endlinks to hook to. I'm about 95% certain there is nothing in that spot on a box frame. I may be wrong on this and its just a matter of drilling a hole.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

The later boxes seem to have the mounts in the frame. My '90 and my dad's '91 have them. They are ready to go, no modification required. One would just have to weld some mounts onto the box axle tubes, as there isn't anything there on them.
                            1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I might take the bar and brackets off and put them to one side for now, then see about getting the brackets welded onto the axle and chassis later. There are braces in the correct spot on the '88 chassis but I don't know if I would trust them enough to simply bolt the end links to them as is, they look kinda thin. Thanks for the help again b'ys.

Comment

Working...
                              X