1983 Mercury Grand Marquis 2Dr "Mercules”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
    Took me 8 months to find it. 25 bucks shipped!
    The seller did not know or care what he had. You got a good deal.

Comment

Oh, and I have a new steering wheel.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Thanks everyone for voting me at POTM! So, I woke the beast for the spring/summer, after fixing a roached coolant hose and charged the battery. I picked up some of this rust encapsulator from the local parts guys, and painted it on. This of course was after a session with the grinder/cup wheel. This seam was starting to worry me, as it Is where the sides of the bulkhead are leaking due to rot. Can't wait to fix that soon (sarcasm). I also replaced a missing lugnut, and cleaned it up a bit (but not too much).

Took a 25-30 min drive, including some 80mph cruising down the interstate (gotta love Texas speed limits!) and it performed about as well as EEC-III CFI will. She's a gutless wonder!
        Attached Files

Comment

Get some!!!!

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Went to Pick N Pull (Dallas West) yesterday. Harvested a complete 88 wiring harness, dostributor, and the complete intake.

Want to take a guess what I am going to be doing?

Comment

Went to Pick N Pull (Dallas West) yesterday. Harvested a complete 88 wiring harness, dostributor, and the complete intake.

Swapping from CFI to SEFI? And I would assume you're also going from a Duraspark setup to the TFI module?

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Correct. Some neanderthal butchered the wiring where the relay connectors were supposed to be, but that looks like a somewhat easy fix. I have been analyzing the wiring diagrams from 88 and 83 and it doesn't look like much has changed.

Comment

Enough has changed to annoy the hell outta you tho.

Chop the square connector for the '83 trans harness off the one that runs along the cowl, splice the 4-wire grey connector for the '88 harness into the '83 wiring that runs alongside the cowl, you'll be using only three of the four '83 wires, remove the red/blue one as it is all stupidly connected and you have the proper one contained into your SEFI harness anyways. Then plug the entire '88 trans harness into both the SEFI harness and the newly spliced connector. This is the straight-forward part.

Remove all wiring that operates your A/C, new wires are contained into your SEFI harness, you get the nice feature of A/C compressor cutoff during WOT conditions (it helps). The only wire you'll end up with is a piece of black wire with yellow (hashed) tracer coming out of the firewall, splice that into the green/purple wire of the big round 4-pin black SEFI connector in the ECM vicinity, that's what makes the A/C mess do what it needs to do. In the same connector fat orange wire is your fuel pump power off the relay, splice that into the '83 fat tan wire with black hashed stripes from that funny looking 4-pin brocn connector (again in the ECM vicinity).

And so on and so forth. Some wire colors will match, most will not, and you'll be splitting the wires from one SEFI connector into multiple '83 connectors and harness branches. Then you'll find out some of the SEFI wires have no equivalent in the '83 harnesses anywhere. For example, your new heated O2 sensors do not have a power supply in the CFI harness, you gotta provide them with one yourself. Make sure you have plenty of steaks to throw on the grill, you'll need them to calm your nerves down. lol
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                  The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Luckily, you don't have to really worry about the trans harness too much. As you have the manual swap. But having it all self contained in one harness will be easier for diagnostic purposes!

Comment

Modify it and Coyote Swap Time!!!! LOL

It amazes me the kind of wiring fixes people do to keep things running. Somebody had the bright idea of Perma-texing my injector connectors after snapping the plastic clips off of them. Had to replace each connector :-/ Baffles me why anybody would go through the trouble of using Permatex when Home Depot sells duct tape at decent prices?

Comment

Next week Instart the nasty job of cleaning all these parts up. Should be fun.

I also need to get some electrical contact cleaner and start going through the harness.

Comment

In six weeks when I am all healed up from surgery, work begins again.

EFI swap, wheels/tires, and going from there.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing some progress. She looked pretty nice in person!
                            —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                            1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                            1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

So, I scored some wheels. I rolled one up to the car to see how it’d look.

With 235/50R18s tucked into there (already have the 1.5” spacers) it will look perfect!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Looks good
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X