No announcement yet.

1983 Mercury Grand Marquis 2Dr "Mercules”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the conversion U joint worked like a charm, joining the 31 spline C6 yoke that I had to use for the TKO, to a stock panther driveshaft.

It's a Spicer 5-143X.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Now when your work schedule delays your build, do you find yourself buying parts that you originally were not going to buy?

That's what happened to me; I had a simple plan and got delayed by work and life; and then things got kinda complicated afterwards............in a good way.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
        Now when your work schedule delays your build, do you find yourself buying parts that you originally were not going to buy?

That's what happened to me; I had a simple plan and got delayed by work and life; and then things got kinda complicated afterwards............in a good way.

Packman
        Especially when I travel for work!

Comment

Got my pedal assembly welded up. The clutch pedal is just a tiny bit low, I can fix it later. Welded it with one of my friends' 220V Harbor Freight Flux core wire welder. It worked pretty good, too!

The welds look like bird shit, but they will work just fine. New pedal pads too!

The stock arm for a cable (the pedals are from an 81 Mustang) will actuate the master cylinder for the clutch. Should work great!
          Attached Files

Comment

H pipe, headers, and new oxygen sensor are on. Also, installed new bolts for the transmission mount, and it works with the stock bolt holes and bolts up to a stock (new) AOD transmission mount! Chased a couple stray vacuum leaks, and reinstalled the starter. Can't wait to hear how she sounds!Click image for larger version

Name:	headers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1280406Click image for larger version

Name:	hpipe1.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1280407Click image for larger version

Name:	hpipe2.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1280408

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
              Got my pedal assembly welded up. The clutch pedal is just a tiny bit low, I can fix it later. Welded it with one of my friends' 220V Harbor Freight Flux core wire welder. It worked pretty good, too!

The welds look like bird shit, but they will work just fine. New pedal pads too!

The stock arm for a cable (the pedals are from an 81 Mustang) will actuate the master cylinder for the clutch. Should work great!
              Very interested on how you do that. Since the slave cylinder that Rosehill supplies is a push style and the OE cable is a pull style. You'd have to flip the bracket 180 degrees so that it would properly follow the pedal and then you'd possibly run into firewall issues.

I love the sound of a CFI LOPO with an open H pipe. Sounds like a Bi-Plane. Or atleast my very very sick 302 did...

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Low compression makes for an interesting sound, but its very much a case of all bark, no bite. I once drive my VW Beetle to work with the header off it completely, it was blowing straight out of the heads on the back and through the heat exchangers on the front. Talk about sounding like a bi-plane. It would decelerate over 3/4 throttle. It wasn't exactly a fast car to begin with, but it became painfully slow with no exhaust at all.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok, it sounds a bit biplane-ish.

And it's alive! Working out the clutch adjustment (grind em till they fit) but she works! Goes pretty good around the block, too!

Comment

I'll go more with redneck rustbucket Chevy pickup than bi-plane, but as you wish.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, it needs the mufflers on something fierce.

Comment

Eh who cares how bad she sounds, important thing is she finally moves under her own power. Job well done there my friend!
                        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Awesome. Hope the final clutch adjustments go smoothly.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Big steam.

Time to light'em up.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                            The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                            It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Cleaned her up today, now she doesn't look like a $300 car anymore. I also reinstalled the stock aircleaner setup, retorqued the header bolts when warm, and redid my clutch slave cylinder pushrod. Still have some tweaking here and there to do, but I am very proud of my car!

Afterwards I took about a 10 mile trip around town (plenty of stoplights) and she loved 60 mph in 5th. I really, really need to install my mufflers!
                              Attached Files

Comment

She shines up good.

Did the lower mustang seal cover up your hole?
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X