Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those considering 351w roller swaps...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those considering 351w roller swaps...

something to look out for:
    http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-...lock-guys.html

Apparently they are prone to cracks. Seems that the flat tappet blocks don't have the issue, so roller conversion of a flat tappet engine might be a safer option.

Found this while casually looking for 351 options. I'll probably stick with a 302 based setup in my beater if it ever comes to a swap since the GT40 (exploder) engines are plentiful around here.

quoted for ease of read:
    Originally posted by strokeme
    There is a cracking problem that is becoming an epidemic, and its only among the 351 roller blocks, the F4TE. We are averaging 2-3 cracked blocks for every 10 we get in. The crack is in the same spot every single time.

The cracks are noticed easily by eye when you remove the number 2 and number 4 cam bearing. Its not a coincidence that this is the same area that is used for the spider tray hold down. You can clearly see the cracks in the picture.

A problem will arise if this crack runs, the cam bearing will lose press and the bearing will walk out quickly and its all down hill from there.

I can guarantee alot of shops will use the block, whether they overlook it or think its not a big deal. I do NOT use these blocks. If you are having your roller windsor block machined, tell your machinist you want to see this area, protect yourself.

Last edited by sly; 05-26-2015, 06:19 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.
Working...
X